• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Max Distance Needed To Be 1000 Rated?

How Far Do You Have To Throw To Be 1000 Rated?

• Total voters
So keep going! There's seven more pages of current 1000+ rated players...plus everyone who's ever reached 1000. You pick the top 60 players on earth, most of which complete in NT events with the longest courses. Way to lead your evidence.

You are misconstruing the context of my post. I said this as the discussion had turned to how far 1030 rate elite players throw. Look at the post I am responding to it is not a post about 1000 rated players.

I have made clear at this point how far i think you need to throw realistically to be 1000 rated but that is not what the post you quoted was addressing.

Yeah I almost said this earlier.

Weird that everyone is acting like he has a candy arm.

MJ has got to get over 400'. He just makes it look easy. And Sexton gets 450' for sure backhand, and might get 450' forehand as well if he has to.

Now the original question was how far is the minimum to be 1000 rated. And MJ and Sexton aren't examples of 1000-rated players, as many have pointed out. Get a guy who throws 350' (or 380') accurately, and has a solid game, and he can be 1000 rated. Again, this might be because he chooses to play only tournaments on courses that showcase his strengths. He could easily drop if he started playing other courses, but if the objective is just to be 1000 rated, it wouldn't be that hard.
MJ throws Comets 400'. I'd be surprised if Sexton throws further than MJ. Sexton is a candy arm compared to the other elite top pros like Simon, Eagle, Wysocki and McBeth. Ulibarri said Sexton isn't a power player.

You are misconstruing the context of my post. I said this as the discussion had turned to how far 1030 rate elite players throw. Look at the post I am responding to it is not a post about 1000 rated players.

I have made clear at this point how far i think you need to throw realistically to be 1000 rated but that is not what the post you quoted was addressing.

My bad, and you're right this thread has become a lot of different things.

Sexton to me is the most technical player on tour. I think he has the most accurate forehand in the game of 400'+ FH throwers, works the disc equally well L to R and R to L, putts well, and has beautiful touch on approaches. I think if the tour played more truly wooded courses he would be on a lot of lead cards and taking home some wins.

Sexton to me is the most technical player on tour. I think he has the most accurate forehand in the game of 400'+ FH throwers, works the disc equally well L to R and R to L, putts well, and has beautiful touch on approaches. I think if the tour played more truly wooded courses he would be on a lot of lead cards and taking home some wins.
IMO Wysocki and Koling have better touch forehand shots. Rarely ever see Sexton FH a mid or putter, his short approaches are usually a Firebird.

Sexton plays safer/smarter golf shots. He won USDGC by hitting those safe landing zones and not taking penalties or big numbers.

MJ throws Comets 400'. I'd be surprised if Sexton throws further than MJ. Sexton is a candy arm compared to the other elite top pros like Simon, Eagle, Wysocki and McBeth. Ulibarri said Sexton isn't a power player.

I've seen video where Sexton himself says he throws 500 with his backhand. I think he's got more power than you give him credit for with the backhand. He doesn't have Simon/Eagle or McBeth power, quite, but he's not terribly far behind.

Does MJ throw a Comet 400 feet on flat ground?

Sexton had a 700 and something roller last year and has had a number of really long throws this year. That said, as others (SW22) have written, he doesn't win by going long, he wins by sticking to his strategy of playing safe golf.

I will point out, about three years ago I saw Nate woof up a backhand. He was so forehand reliant that he didn't have a reliable backhand throw, was the way it appeared. I think he has fixed that problem but I found it really interesting at the time.

Yep, he is ridiculously good. I'd also put Bradley Williams in the conversation for "most technical player on tour."

IMO Wysocki and Koling have better touch forehand shots. Rarely ever see Sexton FH a mid or putter, his short approaches are usually a Firebird.

Ricky has nice touch with his FH, but, he is fairly dependent on overstable discs. Koling has amazing touch with his forehand, and his ability to forehand understable discs is probably unrivaled. However, he is not as consistent.

Judging from seeing both of them throw in person, it seemed like Sexton had more distance. Someone said his bio lists longest throw at 555ft.

It doesn't really matter though. Some people were just sort of acting like Nate had 450ft of power or some chit, which is definitely not the case.

I've seen video where Sexton himself says he throws 500 with his backhand. I think he's got more power than you give him credit for with the backhand. He doesn't have Simon/Eagle or McBeth power, quite, but he's not terribly far behind.

Does MJ throw a Comet 400 feet on flat ground?

If ones form is good, the Comet is super long. MJ throwing the Comet 400' on flat ground is believable.

On a local softball field, I am hitting the fence,with a dead flat Comet throw, from the batters box, which is about 310' out. So, I have about 315' max distance with a Comet. I max out with my longest driver at about 360'(flat ground)

If ones form is good, the Comet is super long. MJ throwing the Comet 400' on flat ground is believable.

On a local softball field, I am hitting the fence,with a dead flat Comet throw, from the batters box, which is about 310' out. So, I have about 315' max distance with a Comet. I max out with my longest driver at about 360'(flat ground)

I don't know if I can quite get to 400ft on flat ground with a comet anymore, maybe close to it. More like 375ft anymore lol.
That being said Nate has way more distance than you guys are giving him credit for. I'm sure he can out throw me.

To my eye, Sexton has roughly 375-400ft with great accuracy on a FH. He can push over 400 but it can get a little squirrely sometimes. He can throw 500 BH but has at least some accuracy out to 425-450ish. But he has the great equalizer, he can throw 600ft+ rollers, and more often than not with some idea of where its going.

I want to know is what one's max distance will need to be in order to have a chance of becoming 1060 rated...

just in case I decide to turn pro.

(carries bag of drivers to ballfield whistling Ennio Morricone gunslinger music) :cool:

Fun discussion for sure. What's also interesting is the form some of these guys have to get out past 450+. Ricky's back hand always surprises me how far he can throw. Same with Big Jerm, MJ and some others because to the naked eye (imop) their arm speed doesn't seem near as fast as other players but they seem to generate incredible snap at the wrist when they release the disc.

It's fascinating to at least theroize on what it takes to get a disc out to 500ft. For instance, could both of these players reach 500ft?

A) Faster arm speed, slower disc spin.
B) Slower arm speed, faster disc spin.

Would love to know how fast MJ's disc is spinning when he throws 450 compared to say Simon or Eagle when they throw similar distance.

One thing is obvious about the 500ft+ throwers, they can throw those 350ft+ approach shots much lower if they desired so they should have an advantage on low ceiling shots.

Sooo..... You see a player throw a high anny s-curve flight and the disc goes 450. Should that player now accurately be labeled a 450ft thrower?

Latest posts