• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Maximum Distance/Time Between Courses?

jeverett

Double Eagle Member
Ok, I feel like I've seen guidelines for this somewhere before.. but I'm trying to remember what the maximum distance (or travel time) is between courses (for events using multiple courses) for sanctioned events? Is there a stipulated limit somewhere? :) Thanks!

It might be in the Tour Standards. I don't believe those guidelines are in the Comp Manual. The other possibility would be in the document called How to Run a PDGA event.

Here's what it says in the How to Run a PDGA Event doc. You get to choose the value of "X" as Mike indicated.

Lunch Break
Explain how much time will be taken between rounds. Urge players to get off the course, turn in the scorecards, and hustle out to lunch. Leave the tournament staff to their task of verifying scorecards and recording scores.

Explain that you will take "X" amount of time after the last group comes off the course (usually 1 hour). Mention that if they are done while other groups are obviously still playing, then they have more than X-minutes before the next round starts. Players should not hang around waiting for the next round's start time to be posted. "Go to lunch and get back quick!" Then look for the start time to be posted.

I think DiscGolfScene used to have a rule about the distance between B-tiers and higher....but I believe that no longer exists.

The reason (as I recall) was that it was difficult to get people to sign up for tournaments, so they limited how close they could be so one didn't take players away from the other. But that's not really an issue anymore - now there's so many people trying to get into tournaments that you could have one right next to the other and probably fill both.

(I had a friend who had to change the date of a tournament because it was too close, mileage-wise, to another one....but that was before Covid and the huge increase in players).

I think DiscGolfScene used to have a rule about the distance between B-tiers and higher....but I believe that no longer exists.

The reason (as I recall) was that it was difficult to get people to sign up for tournaments, so they limited how close they could be so one didn't take players away from the other. But that's not really an issue anymore - now there's so many people trying to get into tournaments that you could have one right next to the other and probably fill both.

(I had a friend who had to change the date of a tournament because it was too close, mileage-wise, to another one....but that was before Covid and the huge increase in players).

That was a PDGA requirement. There were mileage restrictions, depending upon tier. Are you telling me those are no more?

That was a PDGA requirement. There were mileage restrictions, depending upon tier. Are you telling me those are no more?

I'm saying that it doesn't appear to be restrictions anymore. I could be wrong, but I've seen some tournaments on the same day pretty close to each other mileage-wise. If the milage rule is still in effect, maybe they got waivers to be the same date and so close.

I'm saying that it doesn't appear to be restrictions anymore. I could be wrong, but I've seen some tournaments on the same day pretty close to each other mileage-wise. If the milage rule is still in effect, maybe they got waivers to be the same date and so close.
The PDGA allows events to be closer than the mileage standard as long as the TDs agree. The State Coordinator(s) are responsible for sorting things out among the TDs to eliminate scheduling conflicts or get the TDs together and agree for same day events.

You are incorrect. It is in the Tour Standards in Table 4. Distances have decreased but limits still exist other than between 2 C tiers which can be run next door at this point. Distance between a B and a C is only 40 miles.

There is none. If you want to run an event where R1 is at Maple Hill and R2 is at DeLaveaga, go for it. I doubt many will sign up though.

Well, huh! :) Thanks! Ok, how about a scenario then.. what would everyone think if back-to-back days (only one course or round per day) used courses ~40 miles apart. Is that too far? Would anyone skip an event with that kind of travel distance for some days/rounds?

Well, huh! :) Thanks! Ok, how about a scenario then.. what would everyone think if back-to-back days (only one course or round per day) used courses ~40 miles apart. Is that too far? Would anyone skip an event with that kind of travel distance for some days/rounds?

Our Clubs annual Pro-Am (pre-covid) was being run on 3 courses over 2 days. Two courses about 10 miles apart on the first day. Field is split in half each playing one in the AM and One in the PM. That part has varied a few times when it came to check-in. More recently with remote check-in all easier.
The second day is Tee-times at a course 37 miles away. Its not bad at all. Quite a few people are coming from much farther than that to play so they will stay in a variety of places. Often it is with a friend near the first day's courses then camping at the 2nd days course.

If there were complaints about the distance and course variety they're rare enough i've never heard them.

I don't know what I would consider the upper limit here. Trying to think about the courses in this area and come up with a scenario where I say... nope too far between them. It would be far. I think the bigger factor for me would be how far the farther one is from my house, or if i'm traveling to the tourney could I stay somewhere that's 1/2 way between easily? If im in a good spot in the middle? over an hour from one course to the other for a 2 day would be fine.
1/2 hour drive tops though for a 2 round 1 day.

Blue Ribbon Pines and Kaposia are ~40 miles apart and have been regularly used in the same event one round per day. Many times a good percentage of players either live in between the courses or are staying overnight between them so they have less than 40 miles each day.

Since it's only one course per day, I don't see 40 miles as a deal breaker for most. Where you might lose people would be those that were 40 miles from round 1 and 80 miles from round 2.

Or something like that. Maybe the distances are a little more that would be a cutoff for someone.

I know people will drive a fair distance to get to an event. We had a group of players ride together from Houston area to play a 2 day event at ZBo last year. That's about 10 hours in the road plus hotel.