• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Maxing out at 370’ and running out of ideas

Thanks again for all the help! I am a much better golfer today than i was two months ago. Will keep at it on my own for a while, and come back here if I ever get lost, which is likely.

Hi i'm back with a question. Here's a video from a couple days ago: https://youtu.be/w7MehE1-MVg

Didn't like how I was falling over the brace on these, despite the fact they were flying pretty good. Did some reading on here and decided I wasn't "shifting from behind" and read on until I figured the "left butt cheek towards target on loadup" was an approach I could understand and try.

Tried it today and I think it's a lot better. Am I correct in thinking I corrected that particular issue? Or am I still missing something with this shifting from behind business?

I think the last one was best...
https://youtu.be/W8KeMT_uf5Y

Yeah looks better. First vid you are turned back too early. Turn back later striding into plant.

Put a trashcan 350 feet from you
Hit the trash can 90% of the time
You are now a pro
Forget more distance.

Put a trashcan 350 feet from you
Hit the trash can 90% of the time
You are now a pro
Forget more distance.

Now that I'm able to throw 370ish ft, I can dial back and hit my targets at 320ft much more consistently than I could when 320ft was my max distance. I can also throw a greater variety of shot shapes and disc selections at that distance now that it's not difficult to reach that distance.

Besides that, some of us find it enjoyable to throw greater distances and/or dive into the technicalities of the technique that's needed to get there.

If that's not the path that you enjoy then feel free to approach the game however you like. This awesome sport certainly offers many ways to enjoy :)

But "focus on accuracy, not distance" is not necessarily the long-term most helpful advice, even if accuracy is the goal.

To each their own, but accuracy does not come with distance. Throwing far is cool, but if you can hit a trash can 90% of the time from 350 then you can play with the best in the world in most courses. If you focus on accuracy and putting inside 30 feet, you'll be exponentially better than if you were consistently able to throw 400.

It wasn't putting you down, it was giving advice. Go have fun.

Hi friends, i'm back because i'm missing lines like crazy and i'm pretty sure my form is regressing. Could use some interpretation on these ugly ducklings, and why the anhyzers were all missing the gap/not anhyzering and why the hyzers seem better/more controlled. TIA

https://youtu.be/5catk0qIVds

I was looking at the "kinetic sequence" Thread and tried to get my rear foot to travel farther before letting my throwing elbow bend, and Also tried to not try to rotate and just do linear and try to delay the arm levers actuating because i had been rushing my shoulder and muscling. Seems to be helping but I think I need to take it farther. A couple of these look like i am "jamming" into my brace but I don't know how that comes about or how to fix it. Was hoping for that wonderful light bulb moment that HUB describes that people get just before they break through the 400-420 range but I guess it is still a few sessions away!

https://youtu.be/aHKwPqXuygo

PS i am aware that i am moving faster than i ought to be when incorporating something new, but i haven't figured how to get the rear leg moving towards the front leg without getting a little head of steam behind it.

Also without meaning to, im hopping on every finish. Idk where that came from, guessing it means i have som extra energy im not sending into the disc?

It looks like the "jamming" you're seeing is the result of not bracing with your plant foot--it should feel like you are planting to make a cut away from the target. You're getting your weight onto your front foot but then spinning out on your front foot instead of resisting and then rotating as a follow-through.

It's hard to tell from the angle of the video but I suspect your are either planting too open or not staggered enough (video from behind would help).

PS i am aware that i am moving faster than i ought to be when incorporating something new, but i haven't figured how to get the rear leg moving towards the front leg without getting a little head of steam behind it.

Also without meaning to, im hopping on every finish. Idk where that came from, guessing it means i have som extra energy im not sending into the disc?

Watch Simon plant here--his foot is even angled (to the ground) like you would if you were making a change of direction move:

Thanks, i did not notice how quickly my foot pivots. Gotta do some of that planting and jumping back drill.

Here's from behind: I think I'm staggered properly so I guess I should try to close it more. That's been an issue for me from the start. Even when i am only thinking about planting closed, the best my foot ever does is perpendicular to target.

https://youtu.be/swq7OM7RM6E

Stagger looks fine and honestly, a perpendicular plant works for most people. There's something off about the way your momentum is transferred. I think the main issue is the lack of brace but it could also be a result of too much rotation too early. They're both related (it's hard to brace with your hips open and it's hard to keep your hips back without a brace) but I'm not sure exactly what the primary cause is.

Yeah something weird going on. Looks like your arms get disconnected from your shoulders.
Slow down and make sure your left arm leads your right arm.

So you think the weirdness is all arms/shoulders and lower body looks correct? By disconnected do you mean shoulders moving independently/too early from arms?

Latest posts