• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Maybe a dumb question...Possibly not on tree stumps

KNIGHT

My father and I have started working on making a few fairways and greens on a piece of land my family owns, more or less my backyard but its about 120 acres. I hope to start it out as a 9 hole with multiple tees then eventually expand it. Iv got a decent amount of elevation and a smallish lake that a somewhat experienced player could carry width wise.(Sorry that was all background information on what i'm working with) On one of my somewhat completed fairways I have a couple of stumps that are cresting a hill that fades off toward what will be the green and could come into play if a player throws his disc low and just tries to carry the hill. So my question is how would you guys recommend getting these stumps gone? A friend suggested basically starting a bonfire over them and burning them out but I thought some guys with experience might have a better view. I know this is probably an easy question to answer for the more experienced designers but i'm just giving it my first shot.

Depends on several things:
- how tall are the stumps currently,
- how big around is the stump,
- what type of tree, and
- how old / rotten are they

Some can be pulled up with a truck, some can be easily dug up, some are just better off cut as low as possible and left to rot.

Depends on several things:
- how tall are the stumps currently,
- how big around is the stump,
- what type of tree, and
- how old / rotten are they

Some can be pulled up with a truck, some can be easily dug up, some are just better off cut as low as possible and left to rot.

All of this, and what are the budget and equipment limitations. Options might be:

- Hire a stump grinder
- Rent a stump grinder and do it yourself
- Rip out with a truck or tractor
- Chainsaw the stumps as close to the ground as possible, and live with them.

Note that rotting stumps, of any significant size, eventually produce soft spots or big holes in the ground.

Drill a big hole in it, fill with gun powder, stick a fuse in it, light and run.

Bonus points for setting up a video camera first.

But in all seriousness, I've had success with fires over the stumps. Worked up to 12-16" stumps well.

I doubt you have a Demo Saw (few people do after all) but if you do you can buy a firemans blade. It'll cut through anything, have used one before for this very purpose. Just start cutting chunks off, it doesn't matter if you run the blade in the ground.

or you could use it to put a nice groove around the base, cut through most of the bigger roots around to make it much easier to pull with a truck/tractor

Note that rotting stumps, of any significant size, eventually produce soft spots or big holes in the ground.

Also, you might consider leaving some stumps in strategic places to help mitigate erosion. The roots help keep soil in place more than you might think.

Not sure how big of a hurry you are to get rid of them but you could always do it chemically. Lowes or any of your hardware type stores have a stump dissolving chemical.

Not sure how big of a hurry you are to get rid of them but you could always do it chemically. Lowes or any of your hardware type stores have a stump dissolving chemical.

Have not heard this one, not in a huge hurry but this might do the trick. Its kind of a tough spot to get machinery into.

I have heard of fires used before but like the idea of using some of them in the course. Especially with different tees to make carrying or hitting the stump more in play.

I have left one a little higher on the left and right of the fairway(approximately 2ft high) depending on where the final basket location is. trying to make it have to be a more creative shot than just a low FH to the basket, the way its positioned if the throw a shot that is very safe from hitting either stump they will more than likely over throw the dog leg to make their upshot to the basket and be in the woods. Iv thinned out these particular trees in this area just for this easy to get into the woods in that direction but a likely stroke to try and get out to make the shot toward the basket as the brush there is still very thick.

The chemical is potassium nitrate. you still need to drill holes ans it speeds up decomp quite a lot. Would still need to burn out after the kno3 does its job for several weeks.

I went and measured today and the largest of the 8 that are on this fairway is 18" wide and they are pine stumps

An 18" pine is going to be a PITA to get out. Generally Pines have long tap roots that go deep.

Since it's already been cut you don't have the weight of the tree to help rip the roots up. Generally when clearing land you push the tree over then cut it off. If you don't want to fool with heavy equipment or a stump grinder just cut the stump off as low as possible and wait for it to rot.

Fortunately pines don't usually regrow from the stump like some deciduous species (holly, gum are terrible)

An 18" pine is going to be a PITA to get out. Generally Pines have long tap roots that go deep.

Since it's already been cut you don't have the weight of the tree to help rip the roots up. Generally when clearing land you push the tree over then cut it off. If you don't want to fool with heavy equipment or a stump grinder just cut the stump off as low as possible and wait for it to rot.

Fortunately pines don't usually regrow from the stump like some deciduous species (holly, gum are terrible)

Yea that is something to really think about for the rest of this project. This is my first go at course design and its a huge learning curve.

An 18" pine is going to be a PITA to get out. Generally Pines have long tap roots that go deep. )

I know almost nothing about trees, but I've always heard that pines have very shallow roots.

I know almost nothing about trees, but I've always heard that pines have very shallow roots.

I saw quite a few on their sides up in Arkansas after a severe storm. They just pulled up a giant plug of ground with them as they fell over. No tap root. There are different varieties of pine though, so who knows.