• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mayfield KY - ball/disc golf course opens

HB553

Eagle Member
Located along with the back 9 holes of the South Highland Country Club in Mayfield KY (far western KY - near Murray and Paducah) this disc golf course measures 9600 feet, and is set as a par 72. Lots of OB with lakes, greens, sand traps, and tall grass off fairways forcing decisions on each shot. Tees are natural grass, with moving tee markers like on ball golf tees.

Recreational tees measure out to 6870 feet, following the same lines as the championship tees.

Baskets installed today, course will be open for players officially on Labor Day Weekend. $10 includes cart and green fee.

Map and scorecard here: http://www.bluegrassdiscgolf.org/SouthHighland.html

Will host grand opening PDGA event later this fall.

Early play has started, using the flags until the tees and tee markers are finished next week. Stop at pro shop for map and score card . . .

There's a pro shop in Mayfield? I'm from nearby Martin and had no idea!! So excited about the new course!!!!!!!!!!!

I played it today with just flags, no tees or signs yet. I really liked it but it was long and tough. Several water holes or where water was in play. I lost two discs.

When it opens I encourage people to try it. It will cost $10, including a golf cart. Because of the length the cart is a good idea.

$10 to play? That's certainly the most expensive course from my personal experience, but with the carts I guess that isn't too steep. I'm really curious to see the layout of this course. If it's long and tough it will be the only challenging course within 50 miles of me. I'm stoked

Pay to Play, Golf carts... what is this about.

Just kidding.. hope the course is a success.. at 10 bucks a round, this may keep some of the first time DG'ers away if there are any free courses in the area.

I play anywhere from 4-6 days a week, most times multiple rounds @ 10 bucks this would put a dent in my wallet.

update on this course, played it 2 days ago and going back today. I seriously think this could be a pdga A tier worthy course if it were marketed correctly. It's beautiful and the staff is great. It will be well worth the $10.

I just played the newest version which was a much lower par than 72. For the first year there will be no green fee just a $5 cart fee so I'll be there at least once a week. We played doubles and shot 49 and 51 from the easier of the two tees. It was definitely challenging enough from the shorter tees! can't wait to try the golds they will undoubtedly be even better. This course is really challenging and fun! Long holes, elevation change, well positioned baskets/trees, tricky shots, a ton of ob (sand traps, bolf greens, most tall grass, some cart paths), and a ton of deep ponds and streams often 10 feet from the basket. It was a lot of fun. Make sure you bring some less-wanted discs to throw on the dangerous holes unless you don't mind losing your primaries because you can very easily lose them regardless of skill level.

The most interesting hole was something like 320 feet with the basket slightly right and a short round tree with low hanging branches directly in front of the tee. It looked impossible to throw to the right of the tree at all and the gap left of the trunk was very low. Too low for a roller. We had to hyzer flip an understable disc and hope that it would get to the basket. Both teams got within long putting distance but it took great shots. Thanks HB!

If we want to grow the sport, pay to play is the way to do it. I dig it. Still cheaper than a round of Ball Golf. Will love to check this out on a road trip some time.

Course mowed (now you can flop a roller on 17, and hole 9 just got very tight) so all tall grass OB, tees mowed down to match ball golf tee box height and look, and the tee markers are 12" gold and blue with the hole number on them - all are in site of the previous basket. Red tees are disc in the ground, we will but an additional marker on them initially for the opening weekend. Be sure to get a map with score card and notes on which cart paths are also OB.

Latest posts