• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Mcbeth star destroyers

I know some older players with slower arm speeds, and mostly they throw Star or GStar Terns to get good, consistent distance with slower arm speeds. That's what I'd check out if I were in that boat.

I'm in my 50s, and while one could go with lighter weights on high speed drivers, one might find that discs such as Archons, Valks, Beasts, and of course MVP Inertias, Waves, and the like give the older noodle arm decent distance.

I have to say the star plastic on the max weight gran slams is awesome must be a new run, perfect stiffness, perfect grip, great destroyer shape I hope this star plastic stays around!

The lightweight grand slams are not from the new run IMO I went through 50 and all max weights were identical and perfect and the light ones had softer star with the flat wing.

Peek at any parting line heights of those light ones?

Mail call today had 2 grand slams in it, both max weight, a very sexy light blue and an orange.

The orange was sold to me as a pop top. The top DOES have a nice little heartbeat, but it's not what I would call a "true" pop top. Oddly the plh on the "pop top" is lower then the blue even tho the orange has a bigger dome. The plh on the blue looks tasty as F. Its actually higher then my stupidly OS destroyer, which exicites me. Both have a significantly higher plh then my AJ from early this year that is from the (g) Star batch, which I like.

The star plastic is a decent blend. Its very grippy but not as stiff as I like (not that I'm suprised). Its really only slightly stiffer then the (g) star batch.

The profiles both look fantastic. Slight variation in the dome (to be expected) but the wings are identical nice snub noses. Good "true" destroyer wing to me.

These do look tasty. I told myself to pick my favorite to throw and stash the other just in case the value takes off, now I'm not so sure. I think they'll fly quite a bit different and both are attractive. The baby blue should be a beefmonster, and the orange should be a stable bomber.

I dunno if I can resist throwing both. More to come on these I'm sure

I can't say definitively that these are a "new" run. I suspect they are, as they are noticeably different from the AJ (g) stars.

Crazy mine are not even close to g star their pretty stiff for star as firm or firmer than older red champystar. It's really the perfect star blend but I did get to pick mine out of a large stack.

These do look tasty. I told myself to pick my favorite to throw and stash the other just in case the value takes off, now I'm not so sure. I think they'll fly quite a bit different and both are attractive. The baby blue should be a beefmonster, and the orange should be a stable bomber.

I dunno if I can resist throwing both. More to come on these I'm sure

I can't say definitively that these are a "new" run. I suspect they are, as they are noticeably different from the AJ (g) stars.

The blue one sounds like the last(?) AJ's that were flat-ish and quite gummy but not full on g-star like. Snub nose, high PLH, very beefy, and mine is also baby blue. I hyzer bombed mine in a hurricane (almost) last weekend and it didn't care. But no go far for me.

The blue one sounds like the last(?) AJ's that were flat-ish and quite gummy but not full on g-star like. Snub nose, high PLH, very beefy, and mine is also baby blue. I hyzer bombed mine in a hurricane (almost) last weekend and it didn't care. But no go far for me.

That's good news to me! I'm hoping mine will be the same way. I need a backup for my destroyer shaped firebird, him hoping the baby blue can fit that bill.

I'm pretty anal about the stiffness of my star plastic, so take my opinions on that with a grain of salt guys.

I might have been better adding "some of these..". I was just joking around about the findings and speculation about different runs that have been stamped as McBeth and Grand Slam Destroyers. Paul really deserves to have his name on the Destroyer but I can't stop feeling a bit bad for Avery..

I might have been better adding "some of these..". I was just joking around about the findings and speculation about different runs that have been stamped as McBeth and Grand Slam Destroyers. Paul really deserves to have his name on the Destroyer but I can't stop feeling a bit bad for Avery..

Haha, sorry, didn't catch the sarcasm! ;) People do seem to occasional wander into this forum and the Gram Slam Destroyer forum and ask this question without reading any of the previous posts as if there weren't pages and pages of speculation about the subject. It's frustrating when the information is all just sitting there waiting to be read and people want you to regurgitate it for them so they don't have to read a couple extra posts.

Anyway, yeah new run, old run, seems to all be a mix, but more importantly new runs going forward will all be McBeth Destroyers. I don't feel that sorry for Avery; he had royalties for Innova's best selling professional-level driver for 6 years, and he's not exactly been in contention for any big wins for quite a while. You can only ride that single victory for so long as an athlete. And it's not like he hasn't got lots of stuff going on; commentating on the Disc Golf World Tour next year which I've got to guess is a paid gig. He's got lots of fans and several signature and tour series discs still so I'm guessing he'll be just fine.

I bought an AJ Destroyer a while back and haven't thrown it yet. I compared it to my 2 grand slams and they're identical -- very close to Gstar feel, pretty flat and the slightest concave indentation in the center (reverse pop top?) Any thoughts on how these would fly?

Ahh light ones, That's why they are flat and gummy the heavies are a new run with much better star plastic IMO, unless gummy star is your thing.
The flat gummy destroyers tend to start out straighter than domey runs and the softer plastic will season a good bit quicker. But there's always exceptions and plh will really judge the stability.

I don't feel that sorry for Avery; he had royalties for Innova's best selling professional-level driver for 6 years, and he's not exactly been in contention for any big wins for quite a while. You can only ride that single victory for so long as an athlete. And it's not like he hasn't got lots of stuff going on; commentating on the Disc Golf World Tour next year which I've got to guess is a paid gig. He's got lots of fans and several signature and tour series discs still so I'm guessing he'll be just fine.

I totally agree with this. I'd also add that there are plenty of good and popular Innova discs that AJ could put his signature to. With the "whispers" that McBeth might move up from the Firebird to the Monster, that leaves a possibility for AJ somewhere in there. AJ also pushes the Avair P&A in videos; put his name on the Aviar P&A in Star or GStar plastic.

McBeth is the face of DG, of Innova DG, and absolutely should have his sig on the Star Destroyer. There's still plenty left over for AJ, and I'd add that they could come out with a Valarie Jenkins 3x Champ TL (or 3x Star TL) to make the whole family happier.

...I'd add that they could come out with a Valarie Jenkins 3x Champ TL (or 3x Star TL) to make the whole family happier.

Didn't she switch to regular tbirds in her last ITB though? (Not that she has to throw her sig disc;)

Didn't she switch to regular tbirds in her last ITB though? (Not that she has to throw her sig disc;)

She may have. But Innova had a Tour Series Valarie Jenkins TL, and the Teebird is already a Climo sig disc, so a Val TL sig disc would be the more likely thing to happen if it ever did at all....

Latest posts