• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

McBeth, Unmarked grip bag?

Miamisms

Eagle Member
Anyone have the scoop on why McBeth has recently switched from the Innova Superhero Backpack to an unmarked grip back for the past couple of tournaments?

I assume it has to do with comfort, but interesting still the same.

This came up before. I think someone said it might be a developmental Innova bag but I wasn't really looking.

This came up before. I think someone said it might be a developmental Innova bag but I wasn't really looking.

That one was black IIRC and also had an Innova logo on the front. This one is pretty obviously the sand colored A series that has the velcro front, with the Grip patch removed. I'd say the back pads and bag strap system give it away as a Grip though

I had thought that part of his contract with Innova stipulates only using their equipment. Does anyone know?

"Maybe he's a Republican, do a deal."

Don Rickles, Kelly's Heros

That one was black IIRC and also had an Innova logo on the front. This one is pretty obviously the sand colored A series that has the velcro front, with the Grip patch removed. I'd say the back pads and bag strap system give it away as a Grip though

It has to be said, sorry, but you sir, spend too much time thinking about disc golf bags. :D

He used to carry a gripEQ bag a lot, considering he had a signature series version.

I'd imagine that he could carry a different bag if he wanted, as with most other pros (as long as it's not a disc manufacturer) but wanted to give the innova bags as much of a chance as he could. Purely speculation though.

Interesting... either the responsorship is back in the works and the contract isn't final or Grip is using it as free publicity... doesn't really seem like a McBeth move though to give them that.

Interesting that the year he started saying he is going only innova he retracted to brong back the great addidas deal and now this? Not shaming at all or anything just think it's funny.

Interesting... either the responsorship is back in the works and the contract isn't final or Grip is using it as free publicity... doesn't really seem like a McBeth move though to give them that.

Interesting that the year he started saying he is going only innova he retracted to brong back the great addidas deal and now this? Not shaming at all or anything just think it's funny.

I dont believe he said he was going Innova only per se. He said he was done having sponsors that didnt pay him. I believe that his Innova contract was the only contract he was happy with at the time. He dropped Addidas outdoor briefly until they came back with an offer that he liked (included money, not just free gear).

Either McBeth really disliked the innova bags (or just missed the grip), or grip made him a sponsorship offer he is happy with.

*this post is mostly speculation. Obviously I dont actually have a clue.

Last edited:
To me it looked like he was just carrying a bag he liked, but since he is not sponsored by GRIP he removed the badging as not to give them free advertisement. It would seem odd to me for him to carry the bag in anticipation of a deal. But we're all just guessing.

Since Innova seems to have gone all-in on PMB I bet he gets some sort of profit sharing. So he may have been using the Innova bag to advertise for Innova and thus make himself a little more money, but decided it was better for his personal bottom line to carry a bag he feels will help him perform better.

Pure speculation, of course.

Those Grip A and AX bags are off the chain. I didn't think I'd ever have a bag that cost that much(thank you to the old lady on this one), she got me the Orange/Black AX and it's an A+ bag.

I asked Paul about this the other week. His caddy (very tall dude) ripped off some of the bottom feet area to provide more comfort, as it was digging into his back. Made for a hole, if I recall correctly, so the bag was giving way. Paul liked the sand colored Grip for its lack of logos and snagged it in the meantime until he gets another Innova bag. He's not sponsored by Grip.

Those Grip A and AX bags are off the chain. I didn't think I'd ever have a bag that cost that much(thank you to the old lady on this one), she got me the Orange/Black AX and it's an A+ bag.
Iv'e had my A series since about a month after they came out. What, 2013? Apart from some color fading, the bag has been flawless. Price was definitely justified.

Pro hockey players do it all the time. If they want to sample a product they're not already affiliated with, like a stick, then they just blot out the logo of the item they are trying and go about their business. It's not a big deal.

I asked Paul about this the other week. His caddy (very tall dude) ripped off some of the bottom feet area to provide more comfort, as it was digging into his back. Made for a hole, if I recall correctly, so the bag was giving way. Paul liked the sand colored Grip for its lack of logos and snagged it in the meantime until he gets another Innova bag. He's not sponsored by Grip.

Conspiracy Theory: Innova bought Grip and McBeth can't talk about it yet.

Interesting though, I'm not sure if it's just innovastore.net or Innova saying this about the superhero backpack:
"Even Paul Mcbeth uses it!" :D

I just saw an interview on Glide's FB with Adam Hammes, where he has this bag.

Makes me think it's still in the works.

They released that grip bag knockoff on the Innova Factory Store a few months ago. They are long gone now but they had public release.

Latest posts