• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

McBeth vs. Climo

McBeth vs. Climo

• McBeth

Votes: 192 60.4%
  • Climo

Votes: 126 39.6%

• Total voters
This argument will never be settled.

Going by sheer dominance, Climo wins by a landslide. He won 12 open division world championships in a 17 year span. This will probably never be matched, but I suppose we shall have to wait and see.

McBeth's competition might be stiffer, but if you argue that gives him an edge over KC, you could also argue other that other modern players have that edge over KC as well. Now it becomes a discussion not just about Climo and McBeth, but Climo and the entire crop of current top pros.

Throw in disc technology, course evolution, throwing technique with foundations on the backs of giants, it's just a cluster**** of variables that are impossible to sort out.

In any case, they'd both beat our asses. I don't even throw any of the fancy warp speed projectiles they have nowadays. End of day: puff puff throw, enjoy the outdoors, smile inside if you make par(and maybe boast a little bit to your buddies.) The gods of the sport don't really matter.

FWIW, I'm voting Climo.

Paul is the best player ever, Kenny is the most consistent.

Over a long tournament, I still think Paul wins due to his distance advantage

This is not really a contest, can't compare the two. They are not even the same as Paul is playing in a different era then Climo where the game level for Paul is way different and the disc as well as the plastic and courses are different. Even a plastic like Pro is going to be different for Paul then it was for Climo, as Paul had when with Innova a R-Pro that Climo did not have during his prime.

I will say if not for Climo then where would disc golf be? I mean we might have had a jump in top level courses from the style available in the early 1990's being the style for the whole 1990's, then having the jump to the top level course that was around in the 2000's when players like Avery Jenkins, Nate Doss had taken things to the next level be so big that we would be shocked.

Now it seems that we need courses that are either tight courses with rough so rough you can not get in to get a disc or pray and throws just for top level players to have a chance at being at par or over. Even then top level players will find a way to make it around the course at the worst at Par or boggy. This is not even including Pro player Paul McBeth in the mix.

Paul is the best player ever, Kenny is the most consistent.

Over a long tournament, I still think Paul wins due to his distance advantage

That second part of a tournament depends on the style of course that the two are playing. I think that Paul struggles in a tight woods course where as Ken Climo can do better on that and has. Paul would dominate on a open lightly woods or a open tree course to fully open course. It depends on the type of course that one wants for the tournament, I do think you want the best adgavntage for all players is a precision placement woods course. Lots of Pro players do not feel comfortable on such a Placement woods course at least the current top players as they prefer long bomb courses or woods courses you can do a sky hyzer, a grenade type shot, or even a tomahawk.

Highly disagree.

Seems like whenever the GOAT discussion arises both boths are almost invariably 1-2, no matter who you like...this 1-2 GOAT pattern also seems repeated for pro basketball. So I'm highly disagreeing with your high disagreement, but I won't go so far as to say you're wrong or don't know what you're talking about, even if that's likely the case...

The best way to say it is climo was best player of his time and mcbeth is probably the best player at the moment,who knows who will be the future best

Anyone notice Climo's eye/head looking away, almost sideways, at the point of his release? Just think how good he could have been if he kept his eye on the disc, looking forward, like Paul does. ;)

Chris Max threw a Discraft XS over 700' in 2001.

Who?

NAME: Chris Max Voigt
HOMETOWN: Munich, Germany
PDGA #: 3708
PDGA RATING: 984
BORN: 1972
STARTED IN DISC GOLF: 1987
DAY GIG: Attorney
DISC CRED: Chris Max Voigt is one of the greatest distance throwers on the planet. In 2001 he set an official world distance record of 712 feet (217.02 m), throwing the Discraft XS.

pretty self explanatory.

after seeing McBeth wipe the floor this year, starting to feel it's him.

kenny just appears so one-dimensional now in retrospect...

Wipe the floor? He's won 2 of 6 events and just lost a back nine lead to a 20 yr old in Tallahassee.

Still not wiping the floor IMO.

Fair enough, but he's still won three of the last four tournaments he's played. And I think classifying the #4 rated player in the world as just "a 20 year old" is misleading in an attempt to make the lone second place finish look worse.

Wait, does that mean Paul socks or the 20 year old was awesome?

Socks 4 sure.

GCLO_2048x.png

I'm old but didn't start discing until 2007 so I didn't see Climo in his prime. I have watched some videos and he was obviously great.

In hoops it goes Wilt, Jordan, then the rest.

Baseball is Mays, Ruth, then the rest.

QB is Brady, Montana....

Latest posts