• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

McBeth vs. Climo

McBeth vs. Climo

• McBeth

Votes: 192 60.4%
  • Climo

Votes: 126 39.6%

• Total voters
And you know that/say that because....?

And in a sport where you play against a course and not other players, how in the world does it matter anyway? I mean i think your premise there is seriously flawed, but even so, what the diff in this discussion?

Didn't know courses had scores? Thought for sure a -22 beat a -21.

Didn't know courses had scores? Thought for sure a -22 beat a -21.

Yes but what the person means is that you or anybody else tries to play the course for the tournament as well as they can for the conditions of weather and body that day as well as ability, and assume you can use that to your advantage to beat the other players.

Dunno if there are any old school Iowa golfers lurking that can confirm? I was Iowa State during 2004 worlds and remember there being talk of a few of the top pros being introduced before an Iowa Cubs AAA game while in town. They had them throw shots from home plate to the outfield wall and supposedly Kenny cleared the center field wall with a roc, so you'd have to expect center field would be right around 400 feet.

That following summer I got to watch the last few holes of him winning the Des Moines Challenge out at Walnut Ridge on Father's Day. He was absolutely shredding the course, hitting lines in the 400-450 range and pretty much making any putt he had. Just a lot of fun to watch.

If you listen to the episode of The Buzzz with MJ he specifically talks about how people complained about various baskets back in the day, and how then, just like now, a great player adjusts to make it work. I don't think McBeth is suddenly a second class putter if you stuck him on Mach 2s.

You should also check out Paul's video of him practicing with no band/chains. He drills low on the pole putt after putt after putt after putt.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Paul's putt works really well on old school baskets. Here he is on some old mach 3s and he hits everything

I rewatched that shot of Climo on Hudson Mills original #4. He had more like a 50-footer for his deuce attempt, so make that about a 430' drive.

Thrown that hole a thousand times, and you can guarantee there is always a left to right headwind coming off of the huge empty recreation fields that are directly to the left/front of the hole. The woods are behind that hole's teepad, so you almost never get any type of tailwind assistance either. It definitely plays a lot longer than the sign says for sure.

And as far as Kenny's distance, here he is at 43 throwing a monster 360 wraith shot up a huge hole that looks to be well over 500 feet of power.

Thrown that hole a thousand times, and you can guarantee there is always a left to right headwind coming off of the huge empty recreation fields that are directly to the left/front of the hole. The woods are behind that hole's teepad, so you almost never get any type of tailwind assistance either. It definitely plays a lot longer than the sign says for sure.

And he threw a Gazelle there!

I had a decent Am-1 forehand back then and got my X-Clones out to where I only had a 150' upshot.

Everybody on the DGLO card was up near the pin, by the way. Stokely was pin-high and about 100' left just like in 1998. Sinclair was pin-high and right, in some bushes. I won't give away Ron Russell's awesome shot. Video is 22% uploaded and counting!

Paul's putt works really well on old school baskets. Here he is on some old mach 3s and he hits everything

He did have that one pretty bad spit out on hole 4, but other than that, yeah. His putt has good speed control, and consistently is dropping by the time it gets to chains. (I think he's adjusted it in the last few years. Less agressive.)

PDGA posted this on Facebook:

"He just played without mistakes. He would never miss a putt inside 20 feet. He rarely missed a putt within 30 feet. He rarely didn't two a hole under 300 feet. It was just that he made all the shots you're supposed to make — the ones that are routine, that a good player hits 90 percent of the time, he would hit 100 percent. It means that you had to play perfect to beat him. He just didn't play bad. And that's difficult, because when someone doesn't have an off day — it kind of sucks (laughing). I don't know what else to say. It's hard to compete against." - Scott Stokely on Ken Climo #4297

PDGA posted this on Facebook:

"He just played without mistakes. He would never miss a putt inside 20 feet. He rarely missed a putt within 30 feet. He rarely didn't two a hole under 300 feet. It was just that he made all the shots you're supposed to make — the ones that are routine, that a good player hits 90 percent of the time, he would hit 100 percent. It means that you had to play perfect to beat him. He just didn't play bad. And that's difficult, because when someone doesn't have an off day — it kind of sucks (laughing). I don't know what else to say. It's hard to compete against." - Scott Stokely on Ken Climo #4297

Idk, all those statements seem true for Paul too...

a lot of the time. definitely not all the time.

When McBeth won the BHMO a few years ago, when the course still had Mach 3's before the current Mach X, he said a lot of the pros were complaining about the crappy baskets and he laughed saying he grew up putting on that type of basket.

If this year is any indication of the future there's no way anyone can say McBeth's career is better than Climo's.