• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

McBeth vs. Climo

McBeth vs. Climo

• McBeth

Votes: 192 60.4%
  • Climo

Votes: 126 39.6%

• Total voters
this is an interesting thought. also, how many different events have they won? in how many different states have they won an A-tier? how many 1000+ rated players have they beaten? obviously that last one would be incomplete for Climo.

in time it will be interesting to see how old McBeth is when he wins his last major, NT, etc.
in 2007, at 38, Climo won USDGC and the Euro Open. in 2009 & 2010 (eligible for masters) he won 2 NT's (each year).

I have a feeling that by the time Mcbeth turns 40 he has gone the route of Schusterick and will hardly compete. Climo just loved touring and competing, to the point that he probably lacked some balance in his life. Mcbeth seems like he is settling down much earlier, which makes me think his main drive will drift away solely from competition.

I have a feeling that by the time Mcbeth turns 40 he has gone the route of Schusterick and will hardly compete. Climo just loved touring and competing, to the point that he probably lacked some balance in his life. Mcbeth seems like he is settling down much earlier, which makes me think his main drive will drift away solely from competition.
So you think McBeth gets hurt and can't putt or perform some other vital element of his game without pain?

No, rather that circumstances in his life cause him to move his focus away from competition being his main facet in discgolf.
So... not like Will necessarily? Will's results and then eventually his travel were curtailed, if I remember correctly, by a shoulder impingement that made putting painful for him. He was pretty much falling away from status as a top touring player by the time he was 25. I mean yeah - you can call that "circumstances in his life" but its a distinctly specific situation. And frankly one Paul has already moved beyond - if Paul fades away from the sport it'll be a story completely unlike Will. I mean, for one thing, Will is younger than Paul. Paul is already years beyond being comparable to Will's situation. Will pretty much lost his prime as a player (assuming he can't reclaim a couple of years on the back), whereas Paul still has a couple of years of the back end of his prime left. It's just so tough for Paul to do anything comparable that its an odd comparison to make.

So... not like Will necessarily? Will's results and then eventually his travel were curtailed, if I remember correctly, by a shoulder impingement that made putting painful for him. He was pretty much falling away from status as a top touring player by the time he was 25. I mean yeah - you can call that "circumstances in his life" but its a distinctly specific situation. And frankly one Paul has already moved beyond - if Paul fades away from the sport it'll be a story completely unlike Will. I mean, for one thing, Will is younger than Paul. Paul is already years beyond being comparable to Will's situation. Will pretty much lost his prime as a player (assuming he can't reclaim a couple of years on the back), whereas Paul still has a couple of years of the back end of his prime left. It's just so tough for Paul to do anything comparable that its an odd comparison to make.

Again, I am talking the overall trajectory of a top player finding a different niche in the sport as they move away from competition being their sole focus, individual details aside. Given the depth of the sport today compared to when Climo dominated, it is a much move viable career option now.

Again, I am talking the overall trajectory of a top player finding a different niche in the sport as they move away from competition being their sole focus, individual details aside. Given the depth of the sport today compared to when Climo dominated, it is a much move viable career option now.
Just lost on the decision to use Will as the comparison... Will got hurt and much younger than Paul is now. Lots of others who stopped playing early for reasons of finance or interest. Seemed like an odd comp.

Im surprised that nobody has mentioned how Howard Duvall gave up touring to run Innova. It seems that McBeth may be headed in a similar direction now that he has his own line of discs.

Im surprised that nobody has mentioned how Howard Duvall gave up touring to run Innova. It seems that McBeth may be headed in a similar direction now that he has his own line of discs.
* Harold Duvall. Note that the first PDGA World Championship which he won in 1982 was his first sanctioned event. Could have stopped right there but he won again in 1985 even after growing Innova with Dave Dunipace between those titles.

Last edited:
* Harold Duvall. Note that the first PDGA World Championship which he won in 1982 was his first sanctioned event. Could have stopped right there but he won again in 1985 even after growing Innova with Dave Dunipace between those titles.

Its amazing how much Innova has grown in Rock Hill over the years! I think they have a couple of warehouses now

Because this is about who is best at disc golf not who took which route with their career.

There have been some interesting studies about how prime athletes decline. There is often an assumption that someone is "too old" to be a top player anymore, when the reality is usually something psychological. Basically, younger players tend to have less distractions in their lives and be "hungrier" to prove themselves.

Older athletes rarely maintain the single minded focus necessary to stay on top. Sad, but humans get bored of things and want to move on. If Paul's career ends up petering out disappointingly, it might be because he's too rich and too comfortable to keep pushing like he would need to. If that happens, no question Climo will have had the more impressive career.

Climo, imo, had more motivation for a longer period because it was his summer job, and paid about as much as one. Even though he was sponsored it was hardly enough to live on much less flourish like McBeth's contract does for him.

Maybe McBeth doesn't care if at the end he's considered the GOAT, like others have said in different ways it could be he has other plans.

2 of his 3 wins were World Championships. Beat that anybody....

There have been some interesting studies about how prime athletes decline. There is often an assumption that someone is "too old" to be a top player anymore, when the reality is usually something psychological. Basically, younger players tend to have less distractions in their lives and be "hungrier" to prove themselves.

Older athletes rarely maintain the single minded focus necessary to stay on top. Sad, but humans get bored of things and want to move on. If Paul's career ends up petering out disappointingly, it might be because he's too rich and too comfortable to keep pushing like he would need to. If that happens, no question Climo will have had the more impressive career.

There is some of that but physical decline is very real.

I don't think motivation is a problem for McBeth... if what the other guys on tour say is true. And if his little random back and forths with Climo over the GOAT issue mean anything.