• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

meat hook or spike hyzer?

i want a lot of fade. i am trying to go around a tree that is ten feet in front of me. i need to go out about 50 the fade back fifty feet. i try the pig usually and it just runs out of juice. mabey i should throw it higher with more snap. i just cant get a lot of fade with low power throws. i try some throws today and see what happens.

This is where it gets a little creative...you don't have to use an overstable disc to do a big hyzer. As you stated, the Pig runs out of juice. A Pig is very overstable with very little glide. You need something that will make that big turn, but not just fall off the line but rather hold onto the line.

If the tree is right in front of you, does that mean that once you are past it, the route is wide open? That should give you several options.

Try a stable mid or fairway driver...not necessarily overstable, but I've thrown Rocs and Eagles up high to the right on lower power to get big fades. To get 50 ft of fade, you will need to go on a higher line, I'm sure, to give it enough time to come back.

If the tree is that close, can you go under it? Some type of skip shot, maybe with the disc upside down, and skip it under the basket, or close enough for a putt? Maybe even a FH roller, thrown down at the ground.

i dont know if these terms apply to what i need help with or not. Scenario:
100 straight line feet to basket with something in the way(big tree). so i need to go way out to the right. everytime i do this i either end up short and left of the pin or i get too much snap and end up deep right. i drive fh but approach bh.
how do i get i disc to fade hard in a short distance. i have experimented with angles and power and just cant get it right.

Grip the disc with less fingers, preferrably the middle and ring finger....try not using the index or pinky. From here, use a fairly overstable disc, and purposely release on hyzer if you are looking for str8 up to str8 down and stop effect....

Oversnapping will only pull your disc off target, or get it to roll a little after it hits the ground...gl...:hfive:

If I understand the OP correctly, the best approach for this shot is a stable-to-understable disc with some glide. More understable will get you more glide at the finish.
An overstable disc like the Pig will fight to get to the ground on a hyzer. If the basket is in a short, direct line with the basket, then a no-glide, overstable disc like a Pig is the answer. If the OP throws RHBH and hyzers it around a tree to a basket that is 50 ft to the left, he can use a less stable disc to get it to glide in, because the understable disc will fight a hyzer to stay in the air, giving you more glide.
Hyzer + understable = glide, hyzer + overstable = no-glide.
Simple.

So to get the basket 100ft past a tree but directly in line with the tree, try less-stable disc with some glide instead of the Pig. Roc maybe?

Last edited:
Your point? I don't, so that's why I answered the OP's question about a spike.

Point is that I find overhand to be more accurate than a spike hyzer, just like I said before. Since the OP is forehand dominate, the overhand shot should be quicker and easier for him to master in this situation.

A spike hyzer requires decent backhand technique which the OP doesn't have or is not comfortable with. Its a good shot to learn after you can throw a decent flat backhand shot. Whether its more accurate will vary from player to player.

Anymore questions partner?

If I understand the OP correctly, the best approach for this shot is a stable-to-understable disc with some glide. More understable will get you more glide at the finish.
An overstable disc like the Pig will fight to get to the ground on a hyzer. If the basket is in a short, direct line with the basket, then a no-glide, overstable disc like a Pig is the answer. If the OP throws RHBH and hyzers it around a tree to a basket that is 50 ft to the left, he can use a less stable disc to get it to glide in, because the understable disc will fight a hyzer to stay in the air, giving you more glide.
Hyzer + understable = glide, hyzer + overstable = no-glide.
Simple.

So to get the basket 100ft past a tree but directly in line with the tree, try less-stable disc with some glide instead of the Pig. Roc maybe?
You don't need glide for a 100 foot shot unless you want overshoot it. You want zero glide and have it come in at a hard angle so it will stick.

I've been thinking about this one and it really depends on the shot. This is one of those special instances where normal advice might not apply.

If you have the chance stand where you're talking about and try throwing steep hyzer approaches with all of your discs. Mess with different hyzer angles and nose angles. Don't be afriad to throw nose up. Also mess with throwing short rollers around the tree. A little overhand flick roller can go either right or left depending on the orientation of the disc (tomahawk or thumber) and disc angle. You may be able to get around it that way, too.

If you approach RBBH, I would recommend the spike hyzer with the most overstable disc you have -- I use a Wraith if I need a sharp (left) turn and a Buzzz if I can use a more rounded turn.

In my experience, trying to use putters or understable discs with this shot... they tend to preserve the original trajectory an land farther right.

Final thought -- softer plastics will tend to roll / skip less upon landing, so that's a consideration.

Spike Ace.

i have a similar hole at Brewer park in MI. It is about 180 ft upshot that plays about 220. It has a big tree right in the center. I got an ace on this hole and duece almost every time by hyzer spikin a flx predator. It pretty much goes straight up and straight down. But I dont bend as far down as the dude in the vid. I definetley make sure my head is in front of my chest but i dont come no were near my feet. But for your instance i would probly go understable to get it to hook and glide the only thing is to much snap with understable will turn yer spike into a flip anhyzer.