• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Megadisc complex- Cambridge, MN

It was a multi course complex that never happened and had tons of hype.

I believe it didn't happen because they were never able to get the right permits. The person who owned the land was universally hated by the local township and so it was very unlikely that they would ever get them. I believe they spent all of their capital before figuring this out.

there's a reason why they're the ones trying to do this and you guys are the ones on the internet saying it wont happen.

naysayers naysay, the creative create.
And realists keep it real. Creative realists often get their creations realized because they set goals that are attainable. There's nothing attainable about getting nearly $1 million via crowdfunding to build a disc golf complex in less than seven weeks.

Why would you do this in MN?, I hear it gets bone chilling cold there in the winter months.. Why not somewhere where you could play year round?

Cool Idea though, I wish them luck!

Why would you do this in MN?, I hear it gets bone chilling cold there in the winter months.. Why not somewhere where you could play year round?

Cool Idea though, I wish them luck!

Many Minnesotans do play year round. There are lots of players shoveling teepads all winter at many courses. And in the case of BRP, the owner is plowing fairways.
I would suspect that this venture has that in mind for winter golf. I'm not certain this is financially sustainable at all, but it would be much less likely if you are shut down for 4 or 5 months. Or maybe they have other ideas for the winter months.

It would be amazing for this to work, but the funding wont work yet. MAYBE if their budget was a lot lower it would. Also get volunteers from the local club(s), big company backings like Innova, Discraft, Lat, etc. Someday this will work.

Do they have or have they at least been looking for the property?

I only ask because it took me about 5 years of checking the local multiple listing service just about every month at a minimum to find the right property that met all of our criteria.

Nevermind, should have read the IndieGoGo.

Last edited:
Do they have or have they at least been looking for the property?

I only ask because it took me about 5 years of checking the local multiply listing service just about every month at a minimum to find the right property that met all of our criteria.

Yes it is a closed golf course with an extra piece of land that is undeveloped. Looks like a good location but that is why the cost is so high. It is an operational 9 hole ball golf course with extra land around it. I would think the property alone is half the budget at least.

Side note MegaDisc has to be the dumbest name I have ever heard of...:wall:

So, very cool they're trying to do this but I have a couple issues.

$50,000 for Course Signage
Let's say they're planning 6 full 18 hole courses. $50k would let them spend $400 per sign (those are some awesome signs eh?) and still have $7k left for "Course Maps, etc." That's preposterous.

$25,000 Event Fund
You don't get to crowd source a million dollar DG complex and then include $25 grand in for a tournament. Those events are supposed to be self-funded. Entry fees, etc. are supposed to cover the cost and profit of a tournament. This doesn't make sense.

$50,000 for concrete tees, landscaping, etc. $20,000 for parking improvements. $50,000 for signs
Yet...almost $300,000 in labor costs? Wait...so $50,000 for teepads and $20,000 for parking improvements only covers their raw materials? No.

Ya this will happen :rolleyes:
Can you imagine them going to a real bank to try and secure a business loan for this...

I hope it works. Who hasn't had an idea like this before?

Solution (potential, anyway) to the cash-flow problem:

Buy the land. Get a small business loan to do it, operate the golf course as a regular golf course. Start developing the surrounding land for disc golf, using the profit from the golf course to augment crowdfunding efforts. Improve the apartment as well, and start looking for opportunities to do more bit by bit as the money becomes available.

Will this happen as quickly as everyone would like? No. But it will happen in a sustainable, sensible way that will make people think "These disc golf people have their act together" rather than "Hey, look at the hippies who want a million dollars to build a frisbee golf resort."

Solution (potential, anyway) to the cash-flow problem:

Buy the land. Get a small business loan to do it, operate the golf course as a regular golf course. Start developing the surrounding land for disc golf, using the profit from the golf course to augment crowdfunding efforts. Improve the apartment as well, and start looking for opportunities to do more bit by bit as the money becomes available.

Will this happen as quickly as everyone would like? No. But it will happen in a sustainable, sensible way that will make people think "These disc golf people have their act together" rather than "Hey, look at the hippies who want a million dollars to build a frisbee golf resort."

:thmbup:

So, very cool they're trying to do this but I have a couple issues.

$50,000 for Course Signage
Let's say they're planning 6 full 18 hole courses. $50k would let them spend $400 per sign (those are some awesome signs eh?) and still have $7k left for "Course Maps, etc." That's preposterous.

$25,000 Event Fund
You don't get to crowd source a million dollar DG complex and then include $25 grand in for a tournament. Those events are supposed to be self-funded. Entry fees, etc. are supposed to cover the cost and profit of a tournament. This doesn't make sense.

$50,000 for concrete tees, landscaping, etc. $20,000 for parking improvements. $50,000 for signs
Yet...almost $300,000 in labor costs? Wait...so $50,000 for teepads and $20,000 for parking improvements only covers their raw materials? No.
Funny thing is the $295,000 is probably the salary they will pay themselves for doing all the work.

I think everyone brings up valid points, and points that I'm sure they've thought of before, but I also think this project is exciting and that through crowd-funding there's a huge opportunity to dream a lot bigger and make something amazing right off the bat. The existing golf course is closed because it isn't sustainable, so I don't think that getting a private loan, keeping that course open, and slowly building, is the right option at all. I think that calculating everything out exactly as they have, and making sure to leave room for unforeseen circumstances and extra costs, is absolutely the smartest way to go about it. They're not only asking for private donors from the local disc golf community, they've also added in ways for companies to sponsor larger chunks of money, and opportunities for out-of-state players to throw in a little bit if they're interested and excited about the project because: who doesn't love a disc golf road trip?

The "business plan" that was posted clearly wasn't finalized at all and that app seems like it was just a place to try to organize thoughts. I'm a photographer and a concert booker + promoter, and if people saw the stacks of moleskins or email drafts or iphone notes with half-thoughts and spontaneous ideas I would look like a crazy person. haha.

It's easy to point out all the flaws or the potential shortcomings, but I'm excited about this project and I'm REALLY excited that they're not playing it safe and they're going balls-out to create their dream location. On top of all of that, it's not really a risk for people donating. If it fails, then every penny people donated gets sent straight back to them and we can all go on playing free rounds at local courses that leave a lot to be desired. BUT. If this thing actually works, we get a bad ass course (4 bad ass courses!) in our backyard and the entire disc golf community will be better off for it.

I hope everyone's able to drop the skepticism and rally around this, because when you really look at it, they're being smart and they're creating something that we would all be lucky to get to play at.

And, for all of you questioning the weather and the longevity of playing seasons, you clearly don't know Minnesotans or Minnesotan disc golfers. ;)

My mistake: the existing golf course isn't closed (I read that in a previous post, but just fact-checked). It still operates in the summer, but there's a larger course that was recently opened that's driving business away and I imagine would make it harder and harder to be profitable.

Last edited: