• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mention in Car and Driver

John Phillips is a dick:)
Enough said and now I'm moving on with life:)

meh. even getting over the fact he refers to it as "frisbee golf" I don't really care what other people think of our sport. Everyone I bring out has a blast, so only truly closed minded people look down on it. It is what it is: a free, fun sport that allows for peolpe to take nice hikes and spend time with friends without breaking the bank.

meh. even getting over the fact he refers to it as "frisbee golf" I don't really care what other people think of our sport. Everyone I bring out has a blast, so only truly closed minded people look down on it. It is what it is: a free, fun sport that allows for peolpe to take nice hikes and spend time with friends without breaking the bank.

Tell that to someone who catches the plastic bug...

Other than that, I agree. When I first heard about it a little under 10 years ago, I thought it had to be the dumbest thing ever but here I am playing it, practically obsessed with it, and always enlightening others that think as I had thought nearly 10 years ago.

I think it's time to start a new ad campaign for Innova: guy with nice looking sunglasses on, reflection of a big sloping fairway and a basket way off in the distance. Caption reads "For those as serious about their disc golf as their car" Then, there's the follow up from Discraft: "Sometimes it's not the path, but what you use to get there"

Tell that to someone who catches the plastic bug...

Other than that, I agree. When I first heard about it a little under 10 years ago, I thought it had to be the dumbest thing ever but here I am playing it, practically obsessed with it, and always enlightening others that think as I had thought nearly 10 years ago.

I agree that you can spend a lot on the game (I have about 20+ discs, a bag, shoulder staps, merrels that I bought just for DG :rolleyes:), but it's not nessacary in order to play. You put in only what you want to.

In theory you could buy one $8 DX driver and play with that the rest of your life. It may turn into a flippy POS after a while, but you could do it.

We could start a paypal account and all chip in to buy ad space in the mag. The put a little tag at the bottom, Thanks John Phillips, we're serious.

I thought it was really interesting because he implies he has played it, and he thought it was fun. Why do we always jump directly to the negative?

I think it's time to start a new ad campaign for Innova: guy with nice looking sunglasses on, reflection of a big sloping fairway and a basket way off in the distance. Caption reads "For those as serious about their disc golf as their car" Then, there's the follow up from Discraft: "Sometimes it's not the path, but what you use to get there"

I like the discraft one. But my immediate thought when reading this was "these guys have ad campaings? where?"

I always thought SUVs could make a cool commercial involving disc golf...you always see those Land Rover ads where some couple hauls some type of outdoors sports/leisure equipment to the top of a mountain or deep in some river valley with their powerful, versatile, gas-guzzler, and proceed to have a blast and then make a campfire. If one of these companies were to become a PDGA Tour sponsor, imagine the ad looking more like a couple guys pulling a portable basket out, planting it at the bottom of a mountain, then driving up to the top and unloading their bags, then going back down and making a campfire. That's how I'd roll if I was in Marketing for Hummer...

Yup...Not many people take disc golf seriously...we're to busy test driving $100K+ cars. :eek:

I thought it was really interesting because he implies he has played it, and he thought it was fun. Why do we always jump directly to the negative?

it's more because of the negative connotations that he implies. someone reading that would think that playing DG would look dumb and that playing that means you can't be taken seriously. It's the negative sterotyping that bothers some people. I think we would rather see it promoted than put down in a kind of backhanded sort of way.

I agree that you can spend a lot on the game (I have about 20+ discs, a bag, shoulder staps, merrels that I bought just for DG :rolleyes:), but it's not nessacary in order to play. You put in only what you want to.

In theory you could buy one $8 DX driver and play with that the rest of your life. It may turn into a flippy POS after a while, but you could do it.

Yeah, I know. i was just joking as it seems like I always have the bug and people I take out for the first time usually turn around and want to buys discs and a bag right away. And they always want to go all out regardless of when I tell them "What works for you today, wont work tomorrow, but you definately dont want to jump straight to the "furthest flying" disc and expect to grow into it.

I dont even listen to that advice. lol

I like the discraft one. But my immediate thought when reading this was "these guys have ad campaings? where?"

So far very minimal...but the R-Pro Dart print ad was getting alot closer to real marketing. (the picture with the Dart Board and Disc aimed at it, with a basket shaped bullseye) There was also a force print add that said something like out of this world distance and had the disc with a background of stars and cosmos.

I'd have to agree with Mr. Phillips. Most people don't take disc golf seriously, including most disc golfers.

Yeah, I know. i was just joking as it seems like I always have the bug and people I take out for the first time usually turn around and want to buys discs and a bag right away. And they always want to go all out regardless of when I tell them "What works for you today, wont work tomorrow, but you definately dont want to jump straight to the "furthest flying" disc and expect to grow into it.

I dont even listen to that advice. lol

trust me, I know exatly what you mean. buy discs all the time that I don't need. It's like my goal is to own every model of disc possible evern though I use maybe 6 discs in a round. I just bought two yesterday and don't know why. Oh wait, yeah I do. I'm massivly addicted to DG. :D

but it a helluva lot cheaper than being a car addict!