• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Merrell Kopecs, not to be overlooked.

throwfromthewoods

Double Eagle Member
The past couple seasons have found me searching for a shoe that fits my style and athleticism. Being that I grew up playing tennis, soccer, racquetball, etc. as well as MMA and martial arts (where footwear isn't an option), watching other players wear high-ankle boots and other outdoor-style footwear made me cringe. I could never imagine clunking around in them, let alone X-stepping and getting my body to move right with them. So I adopted running sneakers for awhile, moved onto Merrell Chameleons, even tried my indoor soccer shoes.

I slowly, and stubbornly, came around to the acceptance that they didn't offer the support I needed. My past experiences were all about speed, movement, and flexibility. Disc golf needed more precise control, traction, and support. Not to mention, ever since my wife got pregnant 2 years ago I've been putting on weight my legs and feet are not used to. But I also wasn't ready to wrap Wolverines onto my feet.

A year ago, I never would have looked at the Kopecs. Not only because of the style, but because everyone I spoke to basically said it's Vibram soles or nothing. Once my son was born, my playing time dropped significantly. So I saw the Kopecs, thought they fit a lot of what I wanted (breathable, not too high, cushioned sole) and also what I needed (more support, grippy undersoles, rugged). I bit the bullet, even without a Vibram sole.

I've been using them for about 4 months now. Roughly twice a week. The soles still look new. I'm also not a real power driver off the tee, so take from that what you will. But these are incredibly comfortable shoes; I barely feel them even though they are a more rugged outdoor shoe. There is some serious arch support in there, and air pockets under the inner sole.

This isn't an in-depth review by any stretch. I'm not a connoisseur of the shoe world. I just know that I love this shoe. And I did not want anyone to overlook it simply for the lack of a Vibram sole (plus, everyone knows Merrell has amazing customer service and would replace these shoes even if you managed to destroy them in 6 months). And if the style and features look like they suit your needs, definitely give them a look.