• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Met a Pro Today

Plastic Thunder

Eagle Member
What a day... Playing in Florida today, as I was leaving a course my son said "there is Paul McBeth"!! He(Paul) was getting out of his car to play a round. I was suprised my son would know this but he was right. I asked Paul if it was him, he said "yes".
Paul was kind enough to sign an Aviar my son loves to use, which is now a wall hanger. I was very impressed with the Pro I met today. Not just because he signed a disc(which was great and amazing) but because he was kind enough to take time out of his day and invest in the sport and my son. Paul, if you read this, thank you for taking a moment to make our day a little more amazing.

This is what the sport needs more pros to act like in my opinion. Too many of our top players lack the professionalism that is needed to not only gain themselves respect, but also to gain respect for this sport. From what I have heard, Paul McBeth is one of the few truly classy guys on tour. We need more stories like this to rise to the surface.

This is what the sport needs more pros to act like in my opinion. Too many of our top players lack the professionalism that is needed to not only gain themselves respect, but also to gain respect for this sport. From what I have heard, Paul McBeth is one of the few truly classy guys on tour. We need more stories like this to rise to the surface.

All the negative stories about pros I've heard are about their on-course behavior or their interaction with TDs. I don't think I've ever heard of a pro who wasn't approachable and friendly when they weren't in the middle of competing for their food and gas money to get to the next tournament. I think it's great that Paul was friendly and accommodating, I've heard similar stories about some of the pros who are most maligned on here including Nikko and Avery.

That doesn't mean that I endorse the bad behavior on the course, I just think it's a totally separate discussion.

What a day... Playing in Florida today, as I was leaving a course my son said "there is Paul McBeth"!! He(Paul) was getting out of his car to play a round. I was suprised my son would know this but he was right. I asked Paul if it was him, he said "yes".
Paul was kind enough to sign an Aviar my son loves to use, which is now a wall hanger. I was very impressed with the Pro I met today. Not just because he signed a disc(which was great and amazing) but because he was kind enough to take time out of his day and invest in the sport and my son. Paul, if you read this, thank you for taking a moment to make our day a little more amazing.

Might have been an imposter... I hope not, but Paul posted on Facebook that he was heading to LAX in California earlier today. Did you watch this guy throw?

[EDIT] Upon further review, that was yesterday. I forgot I didn't read any posts yesterday. Could've been Paul.

Last edited:
or someone made a fake profile and called himself paul mcbeth... I have met only a couple pro's but spend a whole day with nikko. and that dude is awesome. I dont care what people say about him he is a super cool and can throw the hell of a disc! Paul sounds like he would do that. heard nothing but great things about him.

I have played lots of rounds with pro players, and have never ever had a problem.

Word.

All the negative stories about pros I've heard are about their on-course behavior or their interaction with TDs. I don't think I've ever heard of a pro who wasn't approachable and friendly when they weren't in the middle of competing for their food and gas money to get to the next tournament. I think it's great that Paul was friendly and accommodating, I've heard similar stories about some of the pros who are most maligned on here including Nikko and Avery.

That doesn't mean that I endorse the bad behavior on the course, I just think it's a totally separate discussion.

I have heard negative ones about Schusterick and Feldberg that didn't involve tourney play that kind of turned me off to them. Point is, to be a true professional would involve acting in a professional manner all the time, not just when you're off the course. A true professional wins and loses with honor and humility.

Nope. it was him. His bag was what caught my son's eye first, I have to admit, I was suprised he pick up on the fact he was Paul. We have been in and out of the Disc Golf Store here in Clearwater for the last few days and my son was looking over a catalog which Paul is on the cover of during each visit. In fact we returned to the store and I had my son show me the catalog. That's how he(my son) recognized him. Oh, the shoe's, he was wearing the same shoes in the European Open. Funny what you remember from an experience, I noticed those before I saw the bag.

On a different note concerning another Pro... Barry Schultz(hope I spelled it right) was in Raleigh where I live and visited with a friend of my son's for some time last summer. Please keep in mind this was not a tournement day, Barry appeared to be just out practicing. At the end of the day handed David a disc, thanked David for the conversation. That was very cool as well. Barry did play later in the week, but still, he took a great deal of time to invest in a younger player.

People are always going to complain about the way that pros handle themselves in situations. They could be perfect 99% of the time and then the one time they arent feeling bad they are labeled as jerks.

You have to think that the rounds are their practice rounds and its how they earn money. If they are acting 100% to your liking then it might not be them.

Sweet for your son though!

You mean this dude? Yeah, he is a class act and really great guy. That's me after I was a finalist in a putting contest with McBeast.

There are some truly amazing pros who are also amazing people. Double G, Phil Arthur, Paul McBeth, Ken Climo, and so many more. I love hearing stories like this. I have had nothing but good experiences with Will Schusterick and Dave Feldberg as well.

I could probably just go around and quote every post of yours around here.

You mean this dude? Yeah, he is a class act and really great guy. That's me after I was a finalist in a putting contest with McBeast.

Congrats!

I myself will never, ever meet a pro by being a finalist in a putting contest. :eek:

* hangs head in shame *

Which course were you at? I was in Clearwater earlier at Cliff Stephens myself and thought I may have saw him preparing for his round at his car, but wasn't sure haha.

That's him, thanks for the picture.

I did not ask for a picture, mostly because I was shocked to run into him. Soft spoken gentleman and as you said, a great guy.

McBeast just gets it and seems like it all comes naturally to him. I think that speaks volumes to what kind of person he is.

Did you steal his putter?!?!?! :D

Nope, just got that autographed McPro Aviar from him that I'm holding. It was held at the Grand Opening of the second Disc Golf Mart in Pickerington, Ohio a day or two before the Hambrick tourney.

Latest posts