• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Methods to Repair Your Discs

Donovan

Longview Disc Golf Association (TX)
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Rug burning, lighters, sanding,...

I would love to hear what you do to repair a disc after you've hit something with it.

According to PDGA RULES you ARE NOT allowed to make any modifications. This means that anything you have done to any discs, they are probably now illegal.

Here are the RULES For a disc in use..............

A. Discs used in play must meet all of the conditions set forth in the Official PDGA Technical Standards Document. See section 805 B for disc technical standards.

B. A disc which is cracked or perforated is illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F. A disc which is cracked during a round may be carried by the player, but not used, for the balance of the tournament. The player must immediately declare his intention to carry the newly cracked or broken disc to the group or be subject to penalty under 802.01 E.

C. Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics. This rule does not forbid inevitable wear and tear from usage during play or the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrape marks. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F.

D. Discs must be specifically approved by the director if questioned by another player or an official, but in no case shall the disc be approved if it violates any of the above specifications. Any specifically non-approved disc (per the director) shall be considered illegal, and the player shall be penalized in accordance with 802.01 E.

E. A player who carries an illegal disc during play shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning, if observed by two or more players of the group or an official. A player who repeatedly throws an illegal disc during the round may be subject to disqualification in accordance with 804.05 A (3).

F. All discs used in play, except mini marker discs, must be uniquely marked in ink or pigment-based marking which has no detectable thickness. A player shall receive a warning for the first instance of throwing an unmarked disc if observed by two or more players of the group or an official. After the warning has been given, each subsequent throw by the player with an unmarked disc shall incur one penalty throw if observed by two or more players of the group or an official.

I didn't say this in the last post........
I don't do anything with my discs. Most times a beat up disc will come in handy for something, a roller, thumber, anhyzer, forehand shot or anything you can think up. I would highly suggest not screwing with your discs. With the exception of a large chunk just hanging there, in which case I just tear that piece off. Discs are pretty technologically advanced these days, if you sand or burn your disc it is no longer going to fly the way it was intended. A well beat in disc is sometimes the best disc you can have. I have an 11 time KC PRO TEEBIRD that is irreplaceable. It has been through 3 people now and it was given to me. There is no replacing this disc!!!!!!! I have had many other TEEBIRDS and none fly the way this one does.
On a lighter note...........Seasoned Pro Mark Ellis is using the same putters that he has had for many years. His putters look like hell but fly exactly the way he wants them too. Watch a few of his videos on Youtube.com. You will be surprised.

Thanks for all that great info Russell. I do agree that leaving your disc alone is what needs to be done for tournaments.

But for those of us who only play for fun or have not intentions of touring the world, what are the techniques you could use to repair your discs? I mean we could all keep buying new discs.

I do understand the light sanding option will take the ugly scuff off a road killed Champion disc. I've even heard of people carrying a buffing/polishing file in their bag for this. I am still really curious to the different ways to fix a disc.

Well I can't help you with that. I honestly don't know of anyone who repairs there discs. I figure as cheap as they are why not buy a new one. It's still cheaper than Ball Golf!!!!!!!!

Well I can't help you with that. I honestly don't know of anyone who repairs there discs. I figure as cheap as they are why not buy a new one. It's still cheaper than Ball Golf!!!!!!!!

I play both and no one can argue with that point, for sure! :)

Sometimes knowledge is worth knowing. I am curious as to what can be done. I see some guys at one of the courses use a lighter on their discs. I am guessing they are melting the plastic and pressing the split/ding back together. I understand it is illegal. But how are they making sure they get it back to the correct shape? And excuse my lack of know-how here, but I am guessing that it doesn't get too hot to touch?

I saw one guy take a towel and rub his disc real hard and pinch it. I am guessing that the friction of the towel heats the plastic some, but I am surprised it would be enough. I guess these guys the next time I see them.

It all seems a bit interesting, but I think that nail buffer thing is the way to go for just smoothing out the rough spots (and it seems to be legal after looking at the rules). The rest of it seems like it would just keep weakening over time to me. Besides, none of the dings on my discs for wooded courses fly any different now than they did before.

If anyone else has comments, I would love to hear them.

A pair of fingernail clippers can be used to easily snip off chunks of a disc that have dislodged due to unfortunate collisions.

I'm with Russell. I purposely carry discs that stay useful no matter how beat up they are. Most discs get better as they age, why would I want to reverse that?

I am not a pro player, nor do I ever want to be. With that said I have on a few DX plastic discs taken a lighter to it to try to melt the plastic to a shape near what it used to be. This isn't exact but it can help bring a disc into a better shape than it is with a big chunk off. You can't get the shape perfict but with a few trys you can get it close. I understand that these discs are no longer PDGA approved but I don't realy care, I play for the fun of the game not the tournys. I'll play with discs I haven't done that to if I want to play in a tourny. Never tryed sanding, don't know how that will work.

Well I must say, this is a very heated subject among players. I gotta thank everyone for their input on this. I learned alot. I took a beat up disk and messed with some of the ideas. I will have to admit. I don't think it flies much different, but it is not exactly the same. I think I will stick to not doing anything with them and just use them as is. But I can't say thanks enough for all the stuff you guys posted. I would rather know about these things, than not know anything about it at all.

I am not a pro player, nor do I ever want to be. With that said I have on a few DX plastic discs taken a lighter to it to try to melt the plastic to a shape near what it used to be. This isn't exact but it can help bring a disc into a better shape than it is with a big chunk off. You can't get the shape perfect but with a few tries you can get it close. I understand that these discs are no longer PDGA approved but I don't really care, I play for the fun of the game not the tourney. I'll play with discs I haven't done that to if I want to play in a tourney. Never tried sanding, don't know how that will work.

I know you say you only play for fun, but if you love the game you should really try tournament sometime. I didn't play a tourney for a year , but now that I did , I am addicted. Its a lot of fun to play against people you don't know, and a great way to make friends. I have made many new friends in the two tournaments I have played in.

Don't knock tournaments till you have tried one. I would say start with a 9-Hole Mini first. A full 18 hole tournament can take a lot out of you, if you are not used to playing 2 rounds back to back. Good luck and keep us updated.

Questions

I have a putter that is bent a little bit and I was wondering if I can do any thing to make it flatter on the inside or the top towards the middle because it bends down a liitle bit like a bow towards the middle and also the rim is a little tiny bit bent too so when I look at the disc straight on it looks a little bit bent like a u kind of. I was wondering can I do anything to make it flatter and would the rules let me make it a little flatter?

The LAST thing you want to do is clip off, sand of or otherwise remove material from a disc you want to repair. Once you cut or sand it off...IT'S GONE...

What I do is take an X-Acto knife with whatever shape blade you need, heat it up to just red hot with a propane torch and carefully smooth melt and mold it back into the proper shape.
This works great for gouges as well as most scuff and the disc appears to fly almost exactly the same as before.

ENJOY...

With DX plastic, an old cure for warps and some oddities is to put them on the top shelf of a dishwasher and run at a low temp. Amazing how many tree knocks got erased without modifying the disc. Haven't tried this with Champion, Star, Z or ESP plastic. Definitely cleaned them!

Bic lighter has always worked for me.

You can challenge me on any disc I repair, its your right, just like people can sue you for any reason they want, anytime. Its a free country.

The rules were created to keep people from modifying discs to give them an unfair advantage.

All I'm doing is trying to return a disc to its original approved form, which violates no rules.

I will not leave anything on the rim that may affect my grip, or cause injury to my hand, including flashing.
Flashing is not a part of any approved disc, just a byproduct of molding, so it cant affect a discs legality in any way, removing it is completely legal.

I have a putter that is bent a little bit and I was wondering if I can do any thing to make it flatter on the inside or the top towards the middle because it bends down a little bit like a bow towards the middle and also the rim is a little tiny bit bent too so when I look at the disc straight on it looks a little bit bent like a u kind of. I was wondering can I do anything to make it flatter and would the rules let me make it a little flatter?
If a disc will withstand a tree hit at full power, it'll take the abuse from you manhandling it back into shape. Spend a little time working on it. The longest I've worked on one of mine is a few rounds before I was finally happy with it. Regardless, it shouldn't mess with the flight much being a little bent. You might want to just let it wear its battle scar as a badge of honor.

I have a few questions for those rules:

C. Does that mean throwing thumbers into the ground repeatedly to wear it in is illegal?

F. What is allowed for a mark? Would a very small dot in pen count? Has anyone ever been called out for this rule on here? thanks

C. Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics. This rule does not forbid inevitable wear and tear from usage during play or the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrape marks. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F.

I think the key line here is "which alter their original flight characteristics" It does not say that any modifications make a disc illegal. I would say that repairs, as described here, restore discs to their original flight characteristics.

I'm with Russell. I purposely carry discs that stay useful no matter how beat up they are. Most discs get better as they age, why would I want to reverse that?

Just because I quickly put a lighter to a beat up baseline plastic disc that got road rash (to slightly smooth it out so I don't scrape/cut my hand/fingers upon future releases) doesn't make it stable again:|

EDIT: would you really disqualify me from a tourny just because I don't want to cut my voluptuous hand?

Last edited:

Latest posts