• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

47 M offseason core strength

gammaxgoblin

Eagle Member
Ill be 47 in November and my goal over the next 4 months is to improve core strength. So what resources or methods would you suggest? If I were yours to direct with the above goal, what would you have me do? Thanks!

Warning, youtube galore incoming.

I figured to focus on exercises that stabilise my joints and dynamic exercises that require some coordination. Strength is also in the mix but not the main thing.

One big thing is planks, they are easy to do and require to keep your whole body stable.

This is one of the many dynamic versions of a plank. If dynamic is too difficult, you might as well stay in the static version of this.

Then there is also the side plank

And a dynamic version of it

You can also go down a whole rabbithole of different kettlebell swings. I like them as they also work out a whole host of muscles and it feels a little bit like throwing.

Some people are also advocating against crunches as they can cause back pain and recommend other exercises instead.

The series about the off-season training that Simon went through when he was injured (dont remember the injury tho) is also an eye-opener in regards to what you can practice for discgolf. There are also videos about coordination, speed and endurance that are worth watching.

Last edited:
Core mobility > Core strength/stability.
Look into Weck Method. Avoid CrossFit and lifts/activities that require both legs doing the same thing simultaneously.
Work on locomotion/running/lateral skaters/single leg squat/swimming/sledgehammer toss.
Double Dragon Drill should be good exercise working both sides of your body. sledgehammer mcbeth rico copy.png
sledgehammer vs jarvis sling copy 2.png

I recommend getting into a regular Yoga practice. Try a few youtube people and see if you vibe with one.

My wife and I like "Yoga with Adrienne". Pretty chill but obviously good for the body.

This, and I'd add I prefer hot Bikram style. I'd also highly recommend plyometrics, both upper body (usually done with a medicine ball) and lower body. Start with the easiest, basic exercises.

I recommend getting into a regular Yoga practice. Try a few youtube people and see if you vibe with one.

My wife and I like "Yoga with Adrienne". Pretty chill but obviously good for the body.
I second this. I did Yoga With Adrienne for about four months to learn Yoga, and it was great at teaching a ton of Yoga holds and how to move between them and build functional balance/strength/flexibility in a way that allowed me to move to other channels when I got interested in checking out new stuff and really even focusing on more than baseline development and maintenance.

edit: I mean.... I third that?

Core mobility > Core strength/stability.
What exercises/stretches would you suggest for core mobility?

I had some success with the one at the timestamp

Doing this weekly for a couple of weeks has made it noticeably easier to rotate my upper body.

Also had some good results with this one for better hip internal rotation along with consciously rotating my leg inwards while standing.

What exercises/stretches would you suggest for core mobility?
I think his list was them. I have done everything he mentioned and each had a role in helping me achieve a better range of motion with less "herky jerky" with and without load - which was important for me no matter what shape my form is in.

That stretch you (Hyzerroc) shared for thoracic spine is part of my yoga routine and helps. You can also do it a bit more dynamically after you're initially stretched out/bounce it a bit.

I like this one, which you can do with or without weight:

And compound movements that provide core mobility integrated with the legs like the one timestamped here. I never throw without warming up with this and double dragon now and it helps:

Latest posts