• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mid range diving right

Been a while since I've contributed, but I wanted have a question clarified that kinda relates. To clean up form, check with an understatement disc, right? Would the evidence be good for that? I also have a mako3 that I know is pretty neutral, so would that work as well?

Thumb smashed on my Galaxy Note 4

^Anything pretty neutral and not too fast, although different speed discs have different nose angle tolerances.

Neutral putters are great because with clean form they will be straight or only mild turn. Neutral mids (like Mako3) can take a bit more power and hold straight or have some wiggle to the flight. If they wobble or turn into a roller, bad news.

Neutral fairway drivers (Leopard, etc.) will handle and hide more torque than putters and mids, but if they are thrown nose up they will fade out much earlier, whereas putters and mids will still show a pretty straight flight.

I'm not of the camp of only throwing putters to learn as you need to learn to throw things that require a bit of speed and nose down as well, but I think the key is neutral discs.

Basically, if you have a disc that you need to throw with a bit of an anhyzer edge to hold "straight", then it's not a disc to practice learning form with.

^Anything pretty neutral and not too fast, although different speed discs have different nose angle tolerances.

Neutral putters are great because with clean form they will be straight or only mild turn. Neutral mids (like Mako3) can take a bit more power and hold straight or have some wiggle to the flight. If they wobble or turn into a roller, bad news.

Neutral fairway drivers (Leopard, etc.) will handle and hide more torque than putters and mids, but if they are thrown nose up they will fade out much earlier, whereas putters and mids will still show a pretty straight flight.

I'm not of the camp of only throwing putters to learn as you need to learn to throw things that require a bit of speed and nose down as well, but I think the key is neutral discs.

Basically, if you have a disc that you need to throw with a bit of an anhyzer edge to hold "straight", then it's not a disc to practice learning form with.
Good deal. I can put my mako3 on just about any line I want, just lose a bit of distance if I try to get too much anny on it due to my lack of practice throwing longer anny shots. I can get the mako out to about 220-240 flat or hyzer line and my warden out to about 150-180 with a good amount of control. Anything more and I get a bit of slop and OAT on the disc.

Thumb smashed on my Galaxy Note 4

What are some good over stable mid ranges?

You could get a Justice. Absolutely no way that disc will ever dive right. Also not going to help your hyzer problem at all.

In all seriousness I think you should just keep working on driving with the mids you have. If you slow down and focus on form I bet a lot of your issues will be resolved after a few days of field work.

with the varying flight patterns described it sounds like form and consistency issues more than anything else. without knowing what mold(s) you are throwing I humbly offer the following suggestions:

step 1) pick up an ESP Comet.
step 2) use it until you can make it do what you want it to do, consistently.

keep in mind that a Comet will not mask any form problems, quite the opposite in fact, so be prepared for some tough love.

^This.

The Comet goes where you throw it. It is a great tool for learning how to be cleaner with your form. And remember, SMOOTH IS FAR.

I actually had a great day with all my mid ranges and I started really throwing my San Marino star roc 175g. It forced me to slow down and release it with proper form and the thing flys super straight and super far. Very happy today! Thanks for all the help fellas!

Latest posts