• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

midlife crises

zombie brain

I have a question. I had a custom made Captain America 175g Champion XCaliber and I threw that disc far and straight. But then I bought a 175g Ape and a Star XCaliber and when i throw those they go straight into the ground fading right like 50ft after i release. Oh I throw right hand forehand. I dont get why any input?

I dont have any video throwing unfortunately but when I throw my freak by DiscMania it flies straight and true just not as far as I could rip a 12 or 13 speed

How well worn was the original? As discs age, they tend to lose some of that overstability.

You've just discovered the joy of the Parting Line Height (PLH) and how it effects a mold's stability. Put them side by side and compare the wings. I'd imagine both the Ape and Star X-Cal will have a much taller wing (higher PLH) making them more overstable.

Throwing some thumbers and high spike hyzers will season them a little and beat some of that stability out of them.

none of those discs are designed to go far & straight... Are you sure the dyed disc was an Xcal? Those are too over-stable of discs for anyone to throw on a regular basis and expect a long straight flight-- impossible.

none of those discs are designed to go far & straight... Are you sure the dyed disc was an Xcal? Those are too over-stable of discs for anyone to throw on a regular basis and expect a long straight flight-- impossible.

I had a Star X-Cal that was anything but overstable. It's why I stuck with Z Forces when I was throwing warp speed molds. It's not as impossible as you would think.

I am sure it was an Xcal. I suppose I put a crazy amount of spin on it. I tried banging the ape up a bit but after a month it still flew like doo doo so I gave it back to the disc golf gods by melting it in a bonfire. I guess im just trying to figure out what the next disc I should buy for a long straight forehand throw

I could throw the captain at least 300-350 with a open field 400. Im just looking for the laser shot that I had with a different type of disc.

I don't see why you can't do that with your PD. It's what I used for that spot before I started working on BH.

You are really wondering why your Ape won't go straight? The Ape is about as meaty of a meathook you can buy, the farthest thing from a straight disc you could possibly be.

If you really have 400' of power go pick up a candy Nuke or Katana, they should fly very straight for you at that speed with just a tiny bit of turn. That is of course unless you have an OAT problem - then no disc recommendations will be good until you iron that out.

Last edited:
Well my pd just doest seem to go as far... I bought a PD2 (Chaos) but its winter so I dont really know of its flying true or not. Ill try a Katana but not one of those blizzards when I throw those they poop out way early.

So for Forehand a is overstable or understable better? I have been throwing for awhile but only used a few discs and am kinda dumb

I was getting the same distance out of faster molds as you are but in a flex pattern. Moving to the PD, I instantly had the same distance with a lot less right to left (southpaw here). It was the disc that truly taught me that disc speed does not equal distance. With a little work, I saw much more straight distance from the PD. The distances where you're maxing are right where those warp speed drivers start flying like they're rated. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm fairly suspicious of your claim.

The Katana poops out how? Left or right?

So for Forehand a is overstable or understable better? I have been throwing for awhile but only used a few discs and am kinda dumb

It depends on your goals. If you want to get easy distance consistently. Overstable will be easier. However, you're going to see wider lateral movement in the flight path to get there and you're distance will plateau.

If you're goal is to focus on improving to be able to shape different lines and see some gains in distance, understable will help to teach you better form. However it will be far more frustrating in the early going.

I wouldn't lie about my throws. I had a very consistent shot I would release straight line for pretty far and a average fade right with the captain. And the Blizzard Katana would just drop right real fast