• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mids as putters = noob?

JFibeZZZ

Birdie Member
Had someone ask if he should start using a lat 64 pain as his putter...is it bad of me to instantly think of him as a noob? I didnt treat him like dirt, kindly suggested the harp instead. My main question is: Do any of you seasoned disc golfers use mids as putters???

I know a guy that has been playing for over 15yrs and he puts with a driver. He will sink most any putt, and he is lethal from the 'cirlcle'.

I suppose, if it works for them, why stop them? however, if they feel they do better with a putter, maybe give them one?

Either way, I try to never tell people they should use something because it always comes across in a bad way. If the ever ask me for advice though, I typically will tell them what I know.

Wide diameter discs in general don't make very good putters. Some of the smaller diameter mids make decent putters though, like a Cro or Skeeter, etc.

Mids are just fine for making putts, once you get used to it you'll likely make about the same percentage of shots inside the circle. The issue is on the misses, you have a lot higher chance of skips, long blow-bys and roll aways with a mid than a traditional putter. That's not an easy thing to convince someone of, I tend to just let it go and they'll figure it out eventually.

A guy I play with has been using a mid for putting for 2 years. He's probably just comfortable with it. He tried a few putters but they didn't feel right to him. He hits a lot of long puts, so we don't bug him.

I'm using my classic hard truth while practice putting, only to break it into however. Works well, my last truth was ran over by a truck, that disc flew so good. That truck put about 2 years of wear on that disc instantly. I've since lost it in a blackberry (thorn) bush and desperately need it replaced.

Wide diameter discs in general don't make very good putters. Some of the smaller diameter mids make decent putters though, like a Cro or Skeeter, etc.

but wouldn't the wider diameter mean it hits more chains upon impact and less chance for going through?

Mids are just fine for making putts, once you get used to it you'll likely make about the same percentage of shots inside the circle. The issue is on the misses, you have a lot higher chance of skips, long blow-bys and roll aways with a mid than a traditional putter. That's not an easy thing to convince someone of, I tend to just let it go and they'll figure it out eventually.

couldn't really say it better. Hell I putted with a viper and skeeter in my previous disc golf life :|

but wouldn't the wider diameter mean it hits more chains upon impact and less chance for going through?

couldn't really say it better. Hell I putted with a viper and skeeter in my previous disc golf life :|

Spit-throughs, yeah but you're still making the target area slightly smaller and increasing your margin of error. Kind of like shooting basketball on a carnival rim except not that drastic. You tend to get more splash outs from the side with wider discs.

They're all discs though, it's not like using a cricket bat in a home run derby.

10 yr + player in these parts puts with a beat to death gator and does fine with it. I think the assessment of potential for worse results on a miss is accurate, but hitting the basket with any disc is just a matter of muscle memory. To the OP - the answer may indicate someone new, or someone experienced, so it's not a sure indicator. I tend to be the opposite - driving with my putters as often as I can.

Spit-throughs, yeah but you're still making the target area slightly smaller and increasing your margin of error. Kind of like shooting basketball on a carnival rim except not that drastic. You tend to get more splash outs from the side with wider discs.

They're all discs though, it's not like using a cricket bat in a home run derby.

:thmbup: I hear that. was just giving you a hard time'

I have heard a garbage can lid could be used with enough practice but... really?

Ill take a small diameter putter all day. The big ones don't sit in the basket as nice'

I thought about using a Condor for a one-disk tournament once; until I tried to make a putt with it. Hitting chains was fairly easy, but getting it to drop into the basket was a different story. That said, I putt just fine with a Roc even though I dedicate a Wizard to the job.

Got a buddy who has been playin for over 25 years now an he only uses leopards an this dude is sick with it. He carries 3 lepoards all beat in diffrent an putts like a machine from 25 to 35 ft with it it's crazy.

To each his/her own. As stated, it increases the margin for error. However, putting has such a strong mental element that maybe the "comfort level" makes up for the risks. I know my fiancée has struggled with a wide variety of putters (wizard, summit, Aviar, dart, etc.) but is money putting with a Comet.

In my first two years I used to putt with a beat to death D Buzzz or a Star Mako, putters just seemed too odd with their deep rims.

I wish I took the time to get used to putters from the beginning though, it might have saved me what I now consider a ridiculous search for putters shaped like mids. Learned quite a bit along the way though, so all's well and I now carry three putters and really enjoy using them.

Balance of things

I know a guy that has been playing for over 15yrs and he puts with a driver. He will sink most any putt, and he is lethal from the 'cirlcle'.

I suppose, if it works for them, why stop them? however, if they feel they do better with a putter, maybe give them one?

Either way, I try to never tell people they should use something because it always comes across in a bad way. If the ever ask me for advice though, I typically will tell them what I know.

Being a noob myself I certainly learn something about this sport every outting and every chance I get.

Watching others make good and bad decisions also helps me to learn or avoid different aspects. One player threw all rolllers every throw except putts the entire eighteen. Another threw spike hyzers every throw even putting. I watched one player putting each time with a Wahoo!

The roller dude after eighteen ended up.+2 over my score which we both scored terrible btw. The spike hyzer dude.... needs to explore some different throwing technicques he scored in the high 90s. The Wahoo putter hit often and a couple of times from 10+ meters.

So I agree with the quote above... It is a comfort thing and if it works for the player keep it but if not then just throw spike hyzers all day since even you will eventually hit the chains.

Last edited:
I started out putting with a driver (a Boss, to be exact) and man...I hit so many long putts it wasn't even funny. I mean, I'd be 50 feet out and I'd sink it. Not every time of course, but a lot more than I do now. It was hard for me to transition to a putter, because I kept thinking it would have the same characteristics as the Boss. It's actually still my weakest point; sometimes coming up 5 ft short on a 15 ft shot.

But like many others said; putt with what feels good! If you feel good using a mid, go for it.

I'm using my classic hard truth while practice putting, only to break it into however. Works well, my last truth was ran over by a truck, that disc flew so good. That truck put about 2 years of wear on that disc instantly. I've since lost it in a blackberry (thorn) bush and desperately need it replaced.

do you have a car? run it over.

car isnt as heavy as a truck so maybe a few times