• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Mint Discs

Threw a Mason Ford Edition Diamondback for the first time today. Very flat and didn't impress. Apex plastic.

For noodle arms though, I've been bagging an Apex and Eternal Freetail and they just go. And go some more. Birdied a hole I've only did once before with an Apex Freetail. Parked it on the skinny line. That disc netted me a bird on the 18th too. Such a sneaky good mold.

i think the thing about diamondbacks is they arent gonna be glidey like a freetail, almost the opposite depending on the freetail.
i have to throw mine full power to get a good flight but it is very dependable flight. i would assume its kinda like a thunderbird? It seems for sub 350 ft arms it would be closer to 9/5/0/2 then the -2 turn. or at least thats what i get out of it

Tried a Mint Goat for the first time today. Apex plastic, 172g. Very pretty disc. Shiny and swirly. Looks like good ESP plastic. Not flat, but not domey either.

Definitely on the overstable side. IMO this is like a fresh McBeth Destroyer verging a bit toward an XCal. Reluctant to turn, marginal glide, and a dumpy fade. With the Goat you have to SMASH it to see any turn or distance.

I actually liked the Goat, but any throw I didn't absolutely annihilate wanted to dump off listlessly hard and fast. Once you get the Goat turned it'll penetrate well and go decently far. It was still short of a Charger or Cloudbreaker for me, but the Goat is still a viable distance option. Reliably overstable. It'll end up where you want it.

I'd say something like 12, 4, -0.5, 4. Definitely beefier and less glide than most Destroyers. Great driver for really big arms who want to smash without worrying about flipping. Absolutely NOT a disc for noodle arms.

Any thoughts on what the "Mystery Box" disc is?

Manufacturer / Distributor: Mint Discs
Approved Date: Dec 31, 2023
Certification Number: 23-281

Specifications

Max Weight: 178.5gr
Diameter: 21.5cm
Height: 1.9cm
Rim Depth: 1.4cm
Rim Thickness: 1.4cm
Inside Rim Diameter: 18.6cm
Rim Depth / Diameter Ratio: 6.5%
Rim Configuration: 43.75
Flexibility: 12.16kg

Any thoughts on what the "Mystery Box" disc is?

Manufacturer / Distributor: Mint Discs
Approved Date: Dec 31, 2023
Certification Number: 23-281

Specifications

Max Weight: 178.5gr
Diameter: 21.5cm
Height: 1.9cm
Rim Depth: 1.4cm
Rim Thickness: 1.4cm
Inside Rim Diameter: 18.6cm
Rim Depth / Diameter Ratio: 6.5%
Rim Configuration: 43.75
Flexibility: 12.16kg
similar specs to the TSA Mana, Jester Peace Train, and Remix Gladius. Probably a more neutral mid range between Mustang and Lobster. 5/4/-1/1 I'd guess.

Looks like it has a bead though, doesn't it?

I dunno, they should be getting shipped this week so we might find out soon enough.

Remix has a new beaded 5/5/-0.5/1 disc on sale at amazon. Things that make me go hmmmm...

The mystery box is out and people are reporting it fits between a Mustang and Bobcat.

Yeah, mine came today. I haven't had a chance to throw it yet, but it feels nice in hand. I'm not a bead guy, but this one feels good.

That's a pretty narrow window, isn't it? I've thrown pathfinders but not mustangs
It does seem like a small window.

I think the feel has a lot to do with the differences. The new disc is a big bead. The new disc is Royal would probably season great, but I'd rather have more runs of Bobcat.

I was hoping that it would be more of a Zone type disc.

Looks like the flight numbers might be 5/5/0/3? just from looking at clips of flight. Sounds more like a Quake, especially since Mint seems to lean more overstable than their flight numbers indicate

New Mystery Box / Taco is for sure flying in between the Bobcat and Mustang. Definitely more glide than the Bobcat, but not as much as the Mustang. My first thoughts were that it is taking the place of my Royal Bobcat. Holds straight a little longer and has a more penetrating fade than say, an Eternal 'Cat. Handles wind very well also.

New (lightweight) Apex and Nocturnal available tonight at 7pm CST also!

Have a Grackle coming in the mail and I think I'm ready to try to get more Mint molds in the bag this year. I was intrigued by the Diamondback but haven't seen it get a lot of love on here... are folks throwing them?

3 Mint mold releases in the offseason with the Lasso, Taco, and UFO but not much talk about the UFO here so far. I picked up a 'Soft' Royal and a Nocturnal to try out and liked the Nocturnal enough to get another from a local retailer. I think I would try a Extra Soft if one ever got produced. The UFO profile feels kinda like a D-line P3x or a Westside Crown in the Royal plastic but not quite as bulky in Nocturnal as the C-line P3x. The top shoulder is a bit rounded/less bulky and the bead/bottom is not huge so the UFO flies more neutral and has pretty good glide. Not sure the closest profile wise from the MVP/Axiom overmolded putter lineup would be.

I'm hopeful the reformulated MVP soft blend makes its way to their contract brands, Soft Royal might then become Medium and a new Soft would be better for cooler temps.

Have a Grackle coming in the mail and I think I'm ready to try to get more Mint molds in the bag this year. I was intrigued by the Diamondback but haven't seen it get a lot of love on here... are folks throwing them?

I've thrown them and they are quite a bit more overstable than the -1/2 they rate them at. The nocturnals are darn near banshees

I've thrown them and they are quite a bit more overstable than the -1/2 they rate them at. The nocturnals are darn near banshees
Your reviews in the Grackle thread convinced me to go with a Sublime actually. I'm hoping it'll be a Minty replacement for my Champ Eagle that's pretty new.

I must be one of the few people who didn't like the Grackel.