• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Missed ace commiseration thread

I hit chains on hole 11 at French Creek State Park about a little over a year ago with a Wraith but it didn't stay in. Still haven't gotten my first ace yet :thmbdown:

I have never had one stick when an ace pool was on the line. Last week of league a few years ago I chain out on my 18th hole for a $400 pool... we all thought it wad staying in and were celebrating when one player said "it didn't stick" I swore it spun in the bottom of the chains for a full second before jumping out.

During warm ups for glow league last week I called prior to the round I was going to ace tonight. During warm up stepping up to hole 6 at oxbow I said "I am acing this hole tonight"
Luck has it I start the official round on hole six, step up to the tee, say "here is my first chance at acing this hole tonight, I already called it". Toss a flattening hyzer with a mercy with the light taped to the top. Ding bounces off the basket and 20' past.

12 hole course two rounds for 24 holes for score that night. second time through I caught a branch early and chained out for 2...

Had a couple of skip and near misses today at two courses and a bounce off at a tourney on the 13th. Makes another year without an ace. Since 2006. This year was the worse as I found all sorts of ways to miss aces from miss mando aces to chain outs, to someone aceing right after my basket hit. I have decided that a running curse joke is more reality then a joke now.

Last weekend, all told, I hit metal 6 times in three days. Mostly shorter holes, but when a disc that knows its way (my double ace Buzzz) bashes chains just left of center and falls out -twice- , you get a feeling that the next ace is coming soon, you know?

I can now officially post in this damned thread...yesterday at the Cedars in Fate, TX, hole 11 chained out. Short little tunnel shot hole, threw a Champion Beast. Flight was perfect, guessing just a few inches too long and hit the back of the chains and feel right out. When it hit I was celebrating with the group I was with, then it fell out we all just sat there for a second in silence. Just makes me want it more now.

This is where it ended up

I think this thread is very insightful, especially when there is a picture to go with the story. You can learn a lot from what people throw for certain types of fairways.

I almost started the new year with an Ace, but it hit the chains a little high and splashed out. It was a narrow fairway a little over 200ft and gradually 20ft uphill from the teepad. A leaning tree partially blocked an ace run from the right so I ran straight at it by hyzer flipping a Firm Summit. I'm still in disbielf it didn't stay in. As long as there isn't any wind it's my favorite disc for short ace runs

I think this thread is very insightful, especially when there is a picture to go with the story. You can learn a lot from what people throw for certain types of fairways.

I almost started the new year with an Ace, but it hit the chains a little high and splashed out. It was a narrow fairway a little over 200ft and gradually 20ft uphill from the teepad. A leaning tree partially blocked an ace run from the right so I ran straight at it by hyzer flipping a Firm Summit. I'm still in disbielf it didn't stay in. As long as there isn't any wind it's my favorite disc for short ace runs

I enjoy reading the thread, and some of ya'lls misery, and finally being able to add my own. The way I see it, it just lets me know I'm getting close if I'm able to hit the chains on a drive. Last month, even on a 200ft hole like a few days ago, I wouldn't of even had a prayer to get that close.

brp, two consecutive holes, tunnel shot at brp with a comet that skipped up off the nubs into the chains and then got bounced out. i nailed the basket on that hole like two weeks ago with my kc roc. then the VERY NEXT hole drilled the basket front and center, it was the hole that you can throw the turnover/anny route over the pond, with my star teebird.

soon . . .

Arrrrrrrrrgh. Missed a ~$100 payout at this weekend's Ice Bowl by 2". Beautiful hyzer with my gstar teebird looked perfect and BANG - very top of the basket - dead center. So painful to miss by that little.

Yep, this thread isn't for bragging, but for commiseration...
This hole isn't hard, or long (180', very slight uphill), especially since they cut down the ONE ash tree that made it tricky. But it's still a mixed thrill to have your Buzzz finish with its gentle fade and impact the front right quarter of the cage on a near perfect line, about 1 INCH too low to drop in.

Cedar Glades in Hot Springs AR. Super short hole but MEGA uphill and tricky line to get there. I was playing with a Pro and another guy about my skill level. (Adv division).. I walked up to it and said "I'm throwing this one in guys" and the pro immediately said nuh uh I've never even got this one!

Flicked a Breaker and DRILLED it, so hard it hurt, dead center like I'm pretty sure it his the little bit of tape on the pole that you aim at when putting. Then fell out. When I turned around they were laughing so hard..

Just about bagged my first yesterday- Hole 5 at Reedy Creek

2fd58e4c.jpg

basket is off to the right in that pic, almost at the top

f8344103.jpg

250 ft, Stag, bounced off the number plate.

Ok, playing on Indian Foothills DGC North, I came up to hole 16, nice and short, I've aces it twice and went to throw the disc I had aced it with before, I even called I was gonna ace it this time, I threw the perfect line with my SSS VooDoo and it hits chains, pretty flush too! We walk over the hill and there is my disc laying on the ground next to the basket. I was so mad that I looked at my buddy and said ok fine I'll just ace the next hole, hole 17. I throw a nice flex shot with the same disc and as it glides towards the basket it smashes straight into the hole for an ace, my favorite missed ace followed by ace so far. It was my 4th of 5 total aces.

Missed out on my first Ace of 2015 by about 6"(per the couple on the next tee box). Hole 6 at Dubuque Vets. Memorial, shorter(220?) uphill to flat shot, blind, 180g beat DX roc with a slight turn just under the top bar of the cage for a rather loud clang that I knew didn't go in :\

This FB post refers to hole 4 short tee, Ottawa Park @ Lima (Ohio) 4/11/15:

You know that feeling when you're throwing on a short-ish, blind hole, and you KNOW your line is right, and you hear the beautiful sound of chains just exploding? You know, ...when you're SURE it caught ALL the chains on the 'pro' side,even though you couldn't see it...and you say to yourself, "that's GOT to be IN!" ...and you get past that last tree only to see your disc lying on the ground about 2 feet past the cage? ...I think I'm really developing a love/hate relationship with that feeling...

I have hit the basket off the tee three times in the last week and a half, all on different holes. I need to start throwing all my drives 6 inches higher!

Not sure if this counts as a missed ace - I was playing Winthrop City Park in MN when I came up to the fourth hole. Noticed the basket had been knocked over, figure I just practice an approach an see how close I could get.

Skipped off the ground and into the chains on first shot. - how would you score this one?

Attachments

• Winthrop #4.jpg
    Winthrop #4.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 29

Latest posts