• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mold Consolidation - Replacement Disc Advice

Definitely pans slower. I can't get as much distance as I do from the xxx, xxx has a wider diameter and flatness that lets it glide out more IMO rather than just panning slowly. Xxx rim edge is also almost completely flat, so when you roll it, it jumps over things and tracks very true to what you originally threw it on. H1 is so overstable that it holds straight as well, but the rim can get kicked out from under it more easily. I love the xxx, but the h1 is just in another category stability-wise. When I started throwing h1, I took my zone out of the bag. It's just so glideless and overstable. Maybe not the smartest choice but I've never missed an overstable beefcake putter or mid with the h1 in my bag. They're so rarely used to begin with and powering down the h1 is hilariously effective on short shots.

got it narrowed down on the simple bag.

soft anode - drives and approach.
kc aviar - putts, maybe the odd os approach.

wasp or hornet, leaning toward the wasp just for workability and more use - OS mid
comet - workhorse. don't know if x and deal with the wear or just stick with z. i love x plastic.

PPD, seasoned for distance
SPD, freshish for overstable control

h1 - freakishly OS. i use it regularly.
CPD2 - not sure if i should include or not. figure if the wind is up and i need max d straight into a 30mph wind, this is it. i may dump it though.

i feel i could probably make do without the cpd2, but i kinda wanna keep it as a security blanket. i feel confident i could handle most courses with this bag, even throwing RHBH almost exclusively. the only real debate at this point is the hornet vs wasp.

Last edited:
i'm going with this for a simple bag

soft anode
kc aviar

hornet
comet

PPD
SPD

h1
CPD2

for a full yet simple bag i've decided to add a couple.

soft anode
kc aviar

hornet

gazelle, cfr glo
gazelle, dx

ppd
spd

h1

ppd2x2
cpd2

at some point i may go back to my polecats, but i'm really tired of being worried about them.

well, still don't really know what i'm doing. i do know that i really love the gazelle. also know that there is just no way to throw a fairway on a neutral (think comet) mid shot sometimes. i think i'll need a tweener putter to match my tweener fairways or i'll really be hurting for that middle spot. which brings me back to mvp's offerings. this is a hypothetical bag bring-everywhere bag. as simple as possible with nothing left out that would leave me short on the course.

i have all the discs to put together a bag that includes comets and wasps and gazelles, etc, i just don't want to carry so many discs. since i throw LHFH and RHBH i feel it's tough for me to simplify like others can. i really need that understable slot as well as good tommy/thumber discs for my left hand . . . otherwise i feel i'm hamstrung.

putters

soft proton anode (drives and approach)
electron anode, whenever it gets released (understable drive and approach)
titanic, probably proline, but we'll see - putts

mids/fairways

z hornet, i think the hornet complements my gazelles better than a wasp and can power down just fine.
cfr glo gazelle - straight to fade, nicely hss. will turn a little if ripped on/oat'd.
gstar gazelle - neutral/understable

control drivers

PPD (unless i can find a trashed or low plh spd around; probably could if i tried harder)
SPD
H1

distance drivers

PPD2 x2 (maybe an spd2 eventually; i have nice soft star one that feels delicious)
CPD2

i can toss a dx roller gazelle in there as necessary, as well as a beat PPD or something.

basically i want a simple bag, simple molds and not really have to worry about base plastic anymore. midgrade is preferred. this is the best i could come up with. really love my polecats though. ;_; don't want to stop throwing them, all my buddies know me as the guy that throws polecats all the time. i don't know how the liquid metal lockjaw is going to season but i have a feeling it'll have a lot of turn and a lot of fade as it does.

the idea is to have far-flying HSS putters that are workable on tight woods lines, the hornet to bridge the gap, then the gazelles and pd to complement each other.

also thinking of going back to olf instead of PPD.

thoughts? i think it basically covers everything you'd need on most rounds.

Last edited:
Well, I think I've realized that I pretty much have the disc I've needed all along. I'm going to keep my kc aviars and use them for drives and approaches instead of Polecats or anything else. They'll beat up slowly and the z comet can power down enough so I don't have to crank them on longer shots and worry about damaging them.

Kc aviar x2 for drives/approaches
Kc aviar for putts.

Z comet
Z hornet

Gazelle x3

Pd x3

H1

Pd2 x3 or x4.

This would be a full bag. Obviously I can pare it down more for simple rounds.

Hit the course with that lineup and I did alright. Didn't miss the Polecats, just have to dial in how my beat up kc aviars throw and then I'll be golden.

I think I'm set. I'll still try new plastic but I have no desire to. My only concern is gazelles going oop.

Even during rounds where I never threw the Polecat, I would have been sad if it wasn't in my bag and with me.
Your Polecats miss you.

i know they do. :( i missed them too, on a couple shots. once i thrash my kc aviars enough i don't think i will anymore though. may pick up a supersonic as well.

so here's my full bag.

aviars across the top, star is for driving/approach duty. orange kc is for putting. pink kc is for putting. i don't put down a mini EVER, i hate it. so i just keep two putting putters. yellow is beaten up for straight/understable.

hornet/comet combo, followed by dx, gstar and then yellow double eagle stamped champ gazelle. SPD/PPD/CPD, SPD2/PPD2/CPD2 and then H1. i have backups for all discs and as time goes by (years) the star and gstar variants will likely replace the pro and dx variants.

i also have 9-10 white discs now that i'll be doing dyejobs for, one for each slot in my bag except the hornet and comet. will be working on finding those if possible. cfr glo for the gazelle, it's close enough to white i guess.

IMAG0839_zpszooiktwl.jpg

One last tweak to the bag.

Hornet is probably going to get the boot. I just don't need it 99% of the time, but I do need a regular straight to fade shot frequently. I will likely put a wasp back in or maybe try something with similar stability.

Any suggestions? Not going to throw a roc3 or kc roc or a ghost. I don't like pinn ghosts.

Have you tried a Bard? I just ordered one and it's supposed to be very comparable to a Wasp, maybe a tick faster and more OS.

Protege Ghosts are where it's at anyway. ;)

It'll be closer to your Hornet than the Wasp, but have you looked at the Millennium Sentinel?

Funny that you mention that, because I asked the question in the sentinel thread about brinster sentinels and most seemed to think it had too much overlap with the hornet.

However, I definitely had a beefy, almost puddle top wasp and I know I have a beefy hornet too. So I don't know how close to each it would be.

I really like the feel of the sentinel, very similar to the comet, and that was going to be my first choice other than a wasp until I asked.

I'd go ahead and buy one to try out, because I'd imagine some of that $ will go to Brinster and he's an awesome guy. Besides, there's no better way to figure out if a disc will work than throwing it yourself.

For the slot you want, I throw a Roc3, but I already saw you said no to those; a Bard might work for you. If I remember right, it feels like a Wasp with a deeper rim, if that makes any sense. Then there's also the new Commander(I think?) from Innova, the Justice and Verdict from DD, the Pain and Mace from L64, Prodigy's M1 and M2, MVP's Vector, and so on and so forth

You might also give the Envy a look. I dropped mine for Harp's because it overlapped so much with my Roc3; they'll take power and jump out to powered down mid level distances; they'd probably overlap like mad with your KC Avairs though

They are kinda OOP (but easily found still) but a star shark has a Comet-esque feel. Shark3 feels a little less like a comet, and is also closer to a Hornet in speed and distance.

Despite what my Sig says, I do usually pair my sharks with a comet still (and occasionally a QMS instead)

Actually, it's still my first choice and I'm waiting for someone to tell me the people in that thread are wrong. :D

Sentinel is the correct answer. I've got a Sentinel and a Comet in my bag.

PM me if you'd like to put your hands on one...

I've solved my conundrum and went back to what I should have been using anyway: the wasp. Just a great, great disc. Also surprised myself and on a whim, bought some plastic yesterday to try. Pro katana, epic failure. Light white/pink soft proxy, also didn't like. MEGADOME blue x comet, holy crap. That thing is great. I'll keep it as a backup, but right now I love my z comet. My light 170 wasp came in handy with some in the wind, but it never got hornet windy. Really worked on the shots that were too short to power down the gazelle, but cut the wind much better than my star aviar driver.

Also, snagged a couple doggy style lids. They were the hero of the day, for realz. So I'm making one more adjustment to the bag and calling it good for a while.

Kc aviar for putts.
Star aviar driver for shorter putter drives and windy-ish approaches - I may not even need it with the wasp.

Doggy style, gets short drives, hyzerflips, NAGS shots, approach work. All the finesse stuff, does it much better than the polecat. I can really feel the nose pull around due to the large diameter which helps me SO much on the touch shots.

Wasp
Comet
Hornet - my hornet is another league stability-wise compared to my wasp.

Gazelle - champ, gstar and star for now.

Pd - p line and s line.

Pd2 - c, p and s.

H1

Latest posts