• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Moonshine vs Opto ?

tomsdiscs

Birdie Member
I want to order an Anchor, but think Opto is a little too soft, probably good for colder climates like Scandinavia has, but too soft for CA.

Is Moonshine firmer than regular Opto ?

I want to order an Anchor, but think Opto is a little too soft, probably good for colder climates like Scandinavia has, but too soft for CA.
Is Moonshine firmer than regular Opto ?

To me it is a bit firmer, somewhere between Opto and Gold Line. We'll find out more this summer in the 95 degree heat and humidity of Georgia in the summer.

I just got a Moonshine River and a Moonshine Renegade. I'm hoping they'll take longer to beat in than Gold Line, especially the River. They feel good in the hand, too. So I'd say give a Moonshine Anchor a shot...

If it's firmer, how can it be between?

Now you got me squeezing my discs. I must say I have a hard time deciding which of gold and opto is the firmer one... Maybe because the opto is a mid and the gold a FD.

Now I'm confused. :(

Crystal, but nothing like what you previously said.

Now I'm even more confused...

Consensus that latitude has a reversed firmnes/stability rating logic compared to Innova?

In order of firmest and least stable:
Gold, Moonshine, opto & frost?

I sold the wrong flow in that case... :D

Last edited:
Now I'm even more confused...
Consensus that latitude has a reversed firmnes/stability rating logic compared to Innova?
In order of firmest and least stable:
Gold, Moonshine, opto & frost?
I sold the wrong flow in that case... :D

Okay, here's the rundown:

GoldLine/Fuzion/Tournament Plastic, which I'll just call Gold Line, is most like Star. But Gold Line is firmer and a bit slicker than most Star discs. Gold Line also seasons in much more quickly than Star. My Star TLs season in over a long, long time, but my Gold Line Rivers have seasoned into understable/flippy within a couple of months (playing 3+ times per week).

Opto/Lucid/VIP, which I'll call Opto here, is clear and is considered to be like Champion. But it is a bit gummier/softer than Champion, and it wears in within a few months, while Champion can stay not worn in for years (and maybe forever, from what I've personally seen).

Moonshine is glow plastic, like Champion Glow. I have two discs in Moonshine plastic (River and Renegade) and don't know yet how long it will take for the River to season in, but I'll know within a few months because I'm bagging that River right now.

The Moonshine plastic feels a bit more firm than regular Opto, and the Moonshine Glow feels like some Star plastics over the past two years, like what is in my Star Roc3s.

I believe Frost and Fluid are the same thing (?), and I have a Fluid Warden. The plastic is gummier (softer) than Opto, thogh the rim area feels firm enough for me. Some have said it's like GStar. So far, the Fluid Warden has resisted seasoning in, but I use that Fluid Warden a LOT on upshots, so we'll see over time.

As to stabilities... Champ has generally been more overstable than Star, but I've found the Opto and Gold Line to be fairly close fresh out of the box. HOWEVER, Gold Line seasons in MUCH faster, so if someone says Opto is more stable than Gold Line, I could understand. The Fluid Warden is a bit more overstable than my Classic (Hard) Wardens and (the Fluid Warden) holds hyzers well.

The Moonshine discs have not shown themselves to be much more overstable than their counterparts in other plastics, while Champion usually is noticeably more overstable than other plastics (exceptions I've found are the batch of Star Thunderbirds that are much more OS than their Champ counterparts, and the Champ Roc3s and Star Roc3s I have were about the same stability fresh out of the box).

So IMHO you're not going to find a River that is much more overstable than any other and stays more OS... they're all going to wear in over time, some faster than others. By way of contrast, the Innova plastics are more noticeably different and Champ and Star take longer to wear down.

AS EVER: JMHO, YMMV. Individual results may vary.

Okay, here's the rundown:

GoldLine/Fuzion/Tournament Plastic, which I'll just call Gold Line, is most like Star. But Gold Line is firmer and a bit slicker than most Star discs. Gold Line also seasons in much more quickly than Star. My Star TLs season in over a long, long time, but my Gold Line Rivers have seasoned into understable/flippy within a couple of months (playing 3+ times per week).

Opto/Lucid/VIP, which I'll call Opto here, is clear and is considered to be like Champion. But it is a bit gummier/softer than Champion, and it wears in within a few months, while Champion can stay not worn in for years (and maybe forever, from what I've personally seen).

Moonshine is glow plastic, like Champion Glow. I have two discs in Moonshine plastic (River and Renegade) and don't know yet how long it will take for the River to season in, but I'll know within a few months because I'm bagging that River right now.

The Moonshine plastic feels a bit more firm than regular Opto, and the Moonshine Glow feels like some Star plastics over the past two years, like what is in my Star Roc3s.

I believe Frost and Fluid are the same thing (?), and I have a Fluid Warden. The plastic is gummier (softer) than Opto, thogh the rim area feels firm enough for me. Some have said it's like GStar. So far, the Fluid Warden has resisted seasoning in, but I use that Fluid Warden a LOT on upshots, so we'll see over time.

As to stabilities... Champ has generally been more overstable than Star, but I've found the Opto and Gold Line to be fairly close fresh out of the box. HOWEVER, Gold Line seasons in MUCH faster, so if someone says Opto is more stable than Gold Line, I could understand. The Fluid Warden is a bit more overstable than my Classic (Hard) Wardens and (the Fluid Warden) holds hyzers well.

The Moonshine discs have not shown themselves to be much more overstable than their counterparts in other plastics, while Champion usually is noticeably more overstable than other plastics (exceptions I've found are the batch of Star Thunderbirds that are much more OS than their Champ counterparts, and the Champ Roc3s and Star Roc3s I have were about the same stability fresh out of the box).

So IMHO you're not going to find a River that is much more overstable than any other and stays more OS... they're all going to wear in over time, some faster than others. By way of contrast, the Innova plastics are more noticeably different and Champ and Star take longer to wear down.

AS EVER: JMHO, YMMV. Individual results may vary.

Thank you so much. I must say I share the feeling that there is no big difference in stability. I'm glad that gold wears in quick. Maybe my Flow will be useful if I just keep it in the bag since I now rarely manage to keep it on the fairway. ;)

I did notice difference in my gold and my frost Rivers, however the gold is way more thrown. It is so hard for me to make a fair judgment as both my speed and technique is developing making me throw faster but also with less OAT...

Finally weekend and hopefully I can play instead of analyzing.

To me it is a bit firmer, somewhere between Opto and Gold Line. We'll find out more this summer in the 95 degree heat and humidity of Georgia in the summer.

I just got a Moonshine River and a Moonshine Renegade. I'm hoping they'll take longer to beat in than Gold Line, especially the River. They feel good in the hand, too. So I'd say give a Moonshine Anchor a shot...
Did Moonshine Renegade just come out? I hit the Dallas area Dynamic Discs store in December and they didn't have any yet. That's what I would've liked most at the time.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Did Moonshine Renegade just come out? I hit the Dallas area Dynamic Discs store in December and they didn't have any yet. That's what I would've liked most at the time.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

EDIT: Never mind. It was fluid that I wanted the renegade in.

I'm not sure when they came out. I got mine online just a few weeks ago.

Edited to add: just saw the note that you wanted a Fluid Renegade. I'm not sure what their availability is, if they've made them at all...

How is the Moonshine River working out after a couple months of use and summer heat? Too early to tell?

How is the Moonshine River working out after a couple months of use and summer heat? Too early to tell?

I haven't played in the really hot temperatures yet, but so far the Moonshine River is doing pretty well. Still slightly firmer than Opto, and flies straight/stable. Took a couple of tree hits today, which will "edumacate" it towards seasoning in...

I just added a Moonshine River to my bag a few months back as well. I have a broken in GL River that is my hyzerflip machine that I have dialed in. I also have a domey opto that will turn but fades the most out of any of them. The moonshine gives me a tic or two more of HSS but not as much LSS as the domey opto. It will flip up but not turn as far right before straightening out and ultimately fading.

Love me some Rivers

My moonshine River was flippy out of the box. I was a big moonshine fan a few years ago but it seems like the blend has changed recently.

The old opaque tacky moonshine Escapes were $$$. The old word on Moonshine was that it starts off a tick more overstable than Opto/Lucid but beats in faster. That was my experience.

Lately, the blend seems more clear and translucent than it used to be. I've have a mooshine River, moonshine Emac Truth and moonshine Renegade new moonshine Escape that all started out less HSS than their Lucid counterparts. The moonshine warship I have is nice. It flies just like a VIP with a mild dome. The moonshine World I have is beefycakes.

So there you have it. Moonshine is great but lately it seems like it's been more all over the map in terms of stability.

Latest posts