• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] More OS cutlass

Johny

Hey,
I have cutlass in my bag. It is now my overstable distance driver but i need something little bit more os. I tried lucid defender but it is too overstable for my hand. Any propositions?

Thank you! :)

The trusty Wraith or Krait? both speed 11, the Wraith is more OS than the Krait, but both great wind fighters, and also very adequate for FH drives- more OS option would be Destroyer of course

If a biofuzion defender doesn't work out, possibly try a goldline scythe. I found them to be overstable and still easier to throw than a lucid enforcer.

Scythes are great discs, just a bit lacking in the glide department. Which can be both good and bad of course.

Johny, are you trying to stay within trilogy or are you open to other brands?

Than you a lot!
And yes, i forgot to say: only Trilogy discs.
Cutlass give me great distance so i scare that Scythe cost distance a lot because of low glide. Maybe i should try biofuzion defender if it is enough easy to throw to me..
Enforcer is also my option, it seems to be like cutlass, but a bit more stable(Joe`s flight pattern said that). Am i right? And maybe Enforcer cost also distance..

Which plastic do you throw the cutlass in? I've found the gold lines to beat in fairly fast and lose their stability. Opto seems to hold stability longer.
A Westside Giant would be another recommendation, they're almost as stable as a lucid defender and have good glide. My VIP air I used to use would bomb and only saw a little bit of turn on a full rip and was great for flex shots.

Thank you guys!:thmbup:
My cutlass is opto 174g and 175g.
What flight numbers you would say Giant is? Something about 12/5/0/3 because its real numbers dont sound what jugg3rnautx said?

I'd also suggest BioFuziom Defender. Less stable than Lucid, but still overstable and good distance for the stability. I've only tried a few Giants but they've all been more OS than the Defenders I've tried. I know not all Giants can be that way though, but that's my experience.

The deco dye and elasto giants are straight beef. VIP air and tp ones aren't as stable. The VIP air I had wasn't as stable as my lucid defender and was more on par with the bio defender.

The scythe is my favorite for this job. Don't let the lack of glide compared to some other discs discourage you, it still goes far. If you are using it for your wind driver, then the lack of glide is a good thing. Mine is a flat top gold line, I've thrown it at the beach in massive gusts of wind and it still comes back at the end, but even in calm conditions on a flat release I can get it out 375-400. I'd compare it to a distance driver version of a trident. It's going to go straight for as much power as you put on it, with a good amount of fade at the end.

So opto/gold scythe or biofuzion defender.. How you compare those discs? Or new mold latitude gladiator?

I have only a few throws with a Scythe but it felt like a fast OS/near utility driver, but it was a pretty fresh one. Definitely held straight for a bit before going into a beefy fade. I could definitely get more distance out of a bio Defender. But I am admitting this is a low experience point. If the Lucid Defender was too OS for you then I don't think the Scythe is what you want. The important thing is, what is DougCrawford's power to pump Scythes out that far? I have no doubt it's a fantastic disc if you have the arm to throw them 375'+ on a line drive, but it likely takes a very big arm to throw an overstable disc like that. The bio Defenders I've tried do mellow out a little with some initial wear (hold straight more or show some hint of turn), which is the nice thing in that case compared to the more durable Lucid plastic.

It's a great question, I went through the same search a little while back. An Enforcer could work well, it's the same rim size at 2.2 so it's just a matter of whether you like the feel of it, cuz the shape a little different from the Cutlass. I'm totally with you on the Defender, that rim is too big and comes out awkwardly. Technically the Enforcer is more OS, but with the rim size difference I found the Enforcer easier to throw. The new Gladiator could also be a good fit, they have the same numbers but so far it sounds like it flies a bit more OS.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how the cutlass isn't stable enough for you? I carry three to four of them for pretty much every distance shot. I can promise the defender will not be more stable unless you get lucid. If you need more stable than a cutlass then you need a lucid enforcer. Only disc in the entire trilogy line up more stable than a cutlass at that time width.

I throw 420-460ft and the cutlass is plenty overstable. Maybe find a domey one? I think the optos tend to be flat. I throw domey gold lines.

In my experience the scythe is more along the lines of a beat in firebird.

like a really fast firebird imo.

It definitely gets out far and fast like a distance driver, but it has a big fade and skip. Very comfortable disc, and really nice for forehands bcz of the feel and its insistence on overcoming torque at the end of its flight. OK, so its great for people with ugly forehands. /looks around sheepishly...

Latest posts