• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mosquito deterrent

brichert

Bogey Member
Who has suggestions for keeping mosquitoes away while playing. Just got back from a round and the mosquitoes were horrible. Used spray, but that just seemed to invite them. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thank you in advance.

What spray? Deep Woods Off usually does the trick, even when the low holes around here are marshy and infested. They have a dry version, now, that doesn't leave your hands greasy feeling, either, so it shouldn't mess with your game.

I've heard mosquitoes don't like the smell of dryer sheets, so some people play with a dryer sheet in their pocket.

If you want to use bug spray, but don't want to use artificial chemicals, try something with Lemon Eucalyptus. I've had good success with this.

Otherwise, nothing beats DEET as a mosquito repellent, and as far as all the research has been able to tell, DEET is harmless to humans, even to the point of showering in it. Somewhere around 18%-20% DEET spray should give you max protection, with any higher DEET content not adding any more effectiveness.

If you're also worried about ticks, DEET is not made to repel them. Your best defense against ticks is permethrin, which is harmless when dry, but I hear you don't want to get it on your skin before it's dry. You can buy packs to wash your clothes in it, spray to spray on your clothes, or you can even buy clothes that are pre-treated with permethrin. It's actually the active ingredient in a lot of topical tick repellents for dogs, but it is harmless to dogs' skin in liquid form, whereas I've heard it's bad for human skin until it has dried onto whatever surface it has been applied.

Last edited:
You likely won't find anyting better than commercially available repellents with DEET.
...nothing beats DEET as a mosquito repellent, and as far as all the research has been able to tell, DEET is harmless to humans, even to the point of showering in it. Somewhere around 18%-20% DEET spray should give you max protection, with any higher DEET content not adding any more effectiveness.

The underlined is not my experience.
I find the 25% stuff works pretty well where bugs are a minor nuisance, but fails miserably on courses where they get really hairy (lots of stangant water or really out in BFE where things are thick and bugs are crazy). The 40% stuff seems to work well in those situations, so that's what I carry in my bag.

I also spray my hat, shirt, pants, socks. Also lighter colors seems to attract fewer buggers.

Last edited:
I've been reading on the internet about the effectiveness of high-pitched sound to repel mosquitoes, and although there are apps out there for it, I hear that studies show the claims are junk science at best. Apparently mosquitoes aren't bothered by sounds of any pitch, maybe because they simply can't hear very well in the first place. Smells work better. However, if you want to repel teenagers with high-pitched sound, try blasting around 17-18 kHz at them. ;)

The underlined is not my experience.
I find the 25% stuff works pretty well where bugs are a minor nuisance, but fails miserably on courses where they get really hairy (lots of stangant water or really out in BFE where things are thick and bugs are crazy). The 40% stuff seems to work well in those situations, so that's what I carry in my bag.

Maybe the DEET spray evaporates gradually, losing its effectiveness over time, but the 40% stays above the max. effectiveness threshold for longer. Or maybe the studies I was told about ~10 years ago when I worked at REI have been corrected by more recent research. Whatever the ideal %, DEET is definitely the most effective product on the market.

I just use a deep woods bug spray and it seems to do the job. I do reapply between rounds during the summer, because it seems to come off if I am sweating a lot.

Maybe the DEET spray evaporates gradually, losing its effectiveness over time, but the 40% stays above the max. effectiveness threshold for longer. Or maybe the studies I was told about ~10 years ago when I worked at REI have been corrected by more recent research. Whatever the ideal %, DEET is definitely the most effective product on the market.

That could be it. Since anything higher than 25% is harder to find these days I just buy the regular Deep Woods Off with 25% DEET. The only difference I notice from the 99% DEET stuff (aside from less plastic melting) is that I have to reapply it more frequently in the really bad mosquito swarms.

Permethrin is awesome at repelling ticks. Just treat your clothes a few days in advance and let them dry. Keep in mind it's very toxic to cats so if you have cats I would be very careful with where you keep the treated clothing. It's also very toxic to aquatic life so if you have treated clothing I would stay out of streams and lakes.

Bug spray is pricey these days. I'm the only one in the group that ever seems to have some. That and water. :(

Bug spray is pricey these days. I'm the only one in the group that ever seems to have some. That and water. :(

Just pass by the bug spray aisles whenever you shop Walmart/Walgreens/Whatever and keep an eye out for sales. They go on sale every few weeks and that's when I stock up. Walmart had the half-size Deep Woods Off Dry on sale for $1/can about a month ago.

I've heard mosquitoes don't like the smell of dryer sheets, so some people play with a dryer sheet in their pocket.
I play with an old timer who tucks a sheet in the adjustment strap of his hat. It seems to work well for him, although he looks a little weird with it hanging out the back.

I'm lucky and don't seem to get bothered by bugs, but I keep some Bug-X single use wipes in my bag in case things get bad. I think they're 20% DEET, and they're all I ever need.

http://www.doterra.com/au/productpages/TerraShield_PIP_v11.pdf

Just a couple of drops on the arms and legs (if wearing shorts). We have some major mosquito issues here in Tennessee, and I've yet to get bitten after applying this stuff. A bottle usually contains about 100 drops or so, so it's good for about 25 rounds. One drop on each leg and arm does the trick for me.

I'm a big fan of these. Pin one to my hat or the back of my shirt near the collar and I'm good to go for the day. They last for up to 180 hours, which you can extend by sealing it in a ziplock and throwing it in the fridge or freezer between uses. Beats the hell out of spraying stinky chemicals all over yourself.

http://www.doterra.com/au/productpages/TerraShield_PIP_v11.pdf

Just a couple of drops on the arms and legs (if wearing shorts). We have some major mosquito issues here in Tennessee, and I've yet to get bitten after applying this stuff. A bottle usually contains about 100 drops or so, so it's good for about 25 rounds. One drop on each leg and arm does the trick for me.

That's got Lemon Eucalyptus in it. :thmbup: Here's the product I use (image below). It's kinda smelly, but I prefer the smell of it to the smell of Citronella.

41iuEz2FcnL._SY300_.jpg

Personally, Deep Woods Off does not work for me. I use Repel brand 100% Deet all the time. The only problem with it is that it's pretty oily. We did a 4 day camping trip to the west side of MI last year, played sun up to sun down every day, and never once got bitten by anything.

Personally, Deep Woods Off does not work for me. I use Repel brand 100% Deet all the time. The only problem with it is that it's pretty oily. We did a 4 day camping trip to the west side of MI last year, played sun up to sun down every day, and never once got bitten by anything.

Ugh, I think I still have my can of Repel. It was so greasy I only used it twice and then put the can away. I can't stand it. Sorry it's the only thing that works for you!

In boot camp- we used a 50/50 mix of rubbing alchohol and skin so soft- that was for sand fleas mostly though. Deet irritates my skin, so on a trip to Madison WI where you can see the mosquitoes wing span, I ate TONs of garlic pills. The smell sweats out of you and helps keep them away. Not too pleasant for other people though.