• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most common questions TD get asked

Although, do they really need to get to the bite to treat it? Do they still recommend suctioning out the venom or is the treatment simply administering the appropriate antivenin?

Suctioning IS still the recommended field treatment.

And it's unlikely that paramedics or other emergency personnel will carry antivenin, due to the cost (~$2000/vial wholesale), relatively short shelf life (24 months stored at 2-7° C/36-46° F), and the risk of severe anaphylaxis in reaction to the antivenin.

MTL's posts are great....and raised by blood pressure, just in remembrance.

But he left out the one that might annoy me most: "How much is this?"

---from someone wanting to buy a disc or shirt while I'm trying to check scorecards or otherwise clearly deep into TD duties.

MTL's posts are great....and raised by blood pressure, just in remembrance.

But he left out the one that might annoy me most: "How much is this?"

---from someone wanting to buy a disc or shirt while I'm trying to check scorecards or otherwise clearly deep into TD duties.

YES!!!!

Thanks! Just didn't see the need to circle if suctioning was no longer done, but it is, so...
Sharpies: good for more than inking your discs. :thmbup:

And it's unlikely that paramedics or other emergency personnel will carry antivenin, due to the cost (~$2000/vial wholesale), relatively short shelf life (24 months stored at 2-7° C/36-46° F), and the risk of severe anaphylaxis in reaction to the antivenin.

I knew paramedics don't carry antivenin, but hopefully, they can get you to to a hospital that does, or coordinate with Venom One to get it where it's needed.

Where is the payout posted? Or, when will you post the scores on pdga.com?
(sorry if this has been posted already, didnt read)

Most useful posts in this thread:

Originally Posted by CaptainAnhyzer

I get requests from deaf disc golfers to print out copies of my pre-tourney meeting announcments so they can read them instead of trying to read my lips.

Originally Posted by _MTL_
The best snake kit is a sharpee, by the way.

Circle where you were bit so the paramedics can get to it quicker.

Although, do they really need to get to the bite to treat it? Do they still recommend suctioning out the venom or is the treatment simply administering the appropriate antivenin?

That's a broad range of circumstances.......... Been lucky that there's no rattlers(or other venomous snakes) in NY. Came across a 6 foot rat snake during a casual round but it ran from us faster than we could snap a good pic of it.

My post was just to make sure you hook up the deaf DGers. Something as simple as a printed handout goes a LOOOOOOOOG way. :hfive:

My post was just to make sure you hook up the deaf DGers. Something as simple as a printed handout goes a LOOOOOOOOG way. :hfive:

True about the deaf players, but even for the hearing players, a printed handout goes a long way toward avoiding the "I thought you said X at the players' meeting" defense when a player gets something wrong. If it's all written down, no one has a valid excuse for not knowing something.

Suctioning IS NOT the recommended field treatment [unless you are more than 24-48 hours from help---even then, its affectiveness is +/-]. The reason is that the average dayhiker was butchering his own leg and coming close to dying from blood loss, starving the tissues of blood and losing the extremity, or spreading the venom even further into the surrounding tissues.
Nowadays its rest-light tourniquet-have someone go for help. Or hike out after the venom has had time to settle in the tissues[about 20-30 min.], so that the venom doesn't race directly into your bloodstream.

Suctioning IS NOT the recommended field treatment [unless you are more than 24-48 hours from help---even then, its affectiveness is +/-]. The reason is that the average dayhiker was butchering his own leg and coming close to dying from blood loss, starving the tissues of blood and losing the extremity, or spreading the venom even further into the surrounding tissues.
Nowadays its rest-light tourniquet-have someone go for help. Or hike out after the venom has had time to settle in the tissues[about 20-30 min.], so that the venom doesn't race directly into your bloodstream.

The "recommended" field treatment seems to change every 2-3 years, so it largely depends on who and when you ask.

Yes, "cut and suck" is out, however, negative pressure suction devices don't require cutting.

NPSDs are controversial (as are tourniquets and pressure bands), in the sense that there is on-going debate over their efficacy. (The conclusions of the 2003 study by Alberts, Shalit, and LoGalbo which found NPSDs to be of minimal efficacy, and which is usually cited as the reason for the negative evaluation, has been criticized on methodological grounds.) Pick four experts at random and ask about NPSDs, and you're likely to get 5 opinions.