• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most EXTREME course you've ever played?

In a very different sense, I've had some combine physically and mentally exhausting rounds at Toboggan because its only open during the warmest/most humid months and you tend to get stuck in the sun waiting on backups in the back 9.
I hear you...it's be sooooo nice to play a fall round there.

Most extreme course (extreme elevation for WI, unforgiving fairways and rough) I have played here in WI is Winter Park.

I played there years ago (around 2008-2010) and wouldn't even consider trying it at my age & physical condition (or lack of) now.

I don't know how much play the course actually gets, the designer used to obsessively defended the course (I presume he was still was trying maintain it then) on this site. He moved away, so I don't know how much maintenance is being done.

For me, no question it is North Boundary near Pittsburgh....

I live in Buffalo, NY but have done a lot of travel golf over the last 3 years, including playing 8 of the top 25 courses rated here (Harmony Bends still on top with Iron Hill a close second,)...

I have spent 7 disc golf Weekends near Pittsburgh, and Deer Lakes and Moraine are also in my top 5 courses....these are hilly and difficult courses but nothing like North Boundary....playing both of those courses are about equal to one round at NB in terms of the effort it takes...

Crazy elevation gain and loss on the majority of holes...hole #3, #7 and #11 are about as steep uphill as it gets, and there are multiple holes that you must throw over and traverse up and down over huge ravines on flatter holes...

Plus it is a long....really long course...with very few flat lies...

Great design but a brutal workout....not for the casual golfer...

Most extreme course (extreme elevation for WI, unforgiving fairways and rough) I have played here in WI is Winter Park.

I played there years ago (around 2008-2010) and wouldn't even consider trying it at my age & physical condition (or lack of) now.

I don't know how much play the course actually gets, the designer used to obsessively defended the course (I presume he was still was trying maintain it then) on this site. He moved away, so I don't know how much maintenance is being done.

That's definitely some of the most drastic elevation I've played in WI. It's nothing compared to Highbridge Bear and Granite though. Justin Trails Big Brother is no joke either.

HH the Bear and Idlewild are the 2 most extreme I've played. I'll still give the nod to the Bear though.

Haven't played a lot of different courses, but my home course of Watson Lake Disc Golf Course, Prescott Arizona is the most extreme I've played. Very windy, lots of bushes, cacti, rocks...and per my Samsung Health device, one of the hole's elevation change is the equivalent of climbing 7 floors.

That's definitely some of the most drastic elevation I've played in WI. It's nothing compared to Highbridge Bear and Granite though. Justin Trails Big Brother is no joke either.

HH the Bear and Idlewild are the 2 most extreme I've played. I'll still give the nod to the Bear though.

I really don't think the elevation changes on Highbridge Bear are that extreme compared to Winter Park. IMHO the rough on Bear is really what makes it so brutal, bad kick off the fairway and recovery is challenging. The fairways to me are very fair, even with the multiple bends in the longer holes.

I really don't think the elevation changes on Highbridge Bear are that extreme compared to Winter Park. IMHO the rough on Bear is really what makes it so brutal, bad kick off the fairway and recovery is challenging. The fairways to me are very fair, even with the multiple bends in the longer holes.
I agree that the current version of The Bear is not as elevated as it may become. I'd say Blueberry is currently second to Granite in the amount of elevation and steep climbing. Since Gold starts and ends at the top like the other courses, it should have as much elevation change but slopes on individual holes are shallower and spread out.

I didn't notice it as much on Blueberry. Towards the end definitely. The Bear is just plain tough all around. It's going to get harder? Oh boy.

I didn't notice it as much on Blueberry. Towards the end definitely. The Bear is just plain tough all around. It's going to get harder? Oh boy.
Mountain Man's goal is not to make it harder but we may need to add more elevation with new holes*. MM plans to do some thinning along much of the fairway borders so players aren't so stymied when kicking off the fairways and have a puncher's chance to execute recovery shots versus just pitching out. Stroke average could go down but fun factor increase.

* result of future ideas that may involve shifting some holes from other courses

For me, no question it is North Boundary near Pittsburgh....

I live in Buffalo, NY but have done a lot of travel golf over the last 3 years, including playing 8 of the top 25 courses rated here (Harmony Bends still on top with Iron Hill a close second,)...

I have spent 7 disc golf Weekends near Pittsburgh, and Deer Lakes and Moraine are also in my top 5 courses....these are hilly and difficult courses but nothing like North Boundary....playing both of those courses are about equal to one round at NB in terms of the effort it takes...

Crazy elevation gain and loss on the majority of holes...hole #3, #7 and #11 are about as steep uphill as it gets, and there are multiple holes that you must throw over and traverse up and down over huge ravines on flatter holes...

Plus it is a long....really long course...with very few flat lies...

Great design but a brutal workout....not for the casual golfer...

NoBo is no damn joke.

Bucksnort in CO is pertty gnarly. As mentioned, Winter Park does some stuff.

I played a semi-private course in British Columbia...Fallow Ridge. That course had some holes that were basically straight up and straight down. Nothing too long, but dead up some BC mountainsides. Also, Rose Hill ouside Kamloops...there were some holes that if you went left, sayonara. They roped off partially down the hill for tournaments (from what i was told) because climbing down was just that scary.

Mountain Man's goal is not to make it harder but we may need to add more elevation with new holes*.

It will be a little harder to see the baskets when the black DD portables are installed, assuming we get BH baskets soon. I think just the changes in elevation are what makes The Bear so tough. It's built a bit like a roller coaster in places.

I played a semi-private course in British Columbia...Fallow Ridge. That course had some holes that were basically straight up and straight down. Nothing too long, but dead up some BC mountainsides. Also, Rose Hill ouside Kamloops...there were some holes that if you went left, sayonara. They roped off partially down the hill for tournaments (from what i was told) because climbing down was just that scary.

Haha yup, did you check out Copper Ridge just outside Kamloops? I really like that one. I played with Ken up in fallow yup he's got one steep ass hill. He also has the nastiest hanging tonal I've had to wrangle, damn it's high and on a hill.

Different hole I threaded a gap through the trees right down the middle up high going downhill and they were "don't throw that way!"

And I'm all "why not?"

"Well that's nasty down there!"

Anyhow threw blind, on their advice of where the pin was, down my route got a birdie and they were like "hmmm hadn't thought of that"

Haha 30' is a huge gap for us island boys.

Fallow was a little rough but that's nothing like the "Big Stupid Guy" on Cortes, granted it's not as steep as Fallow for grade, but you hike and play uphill for 2.5+ hrs and then stop, enjoy the view and play it downhill.

Haha yup, did you check out Copper Ridge just outside Kamloops? I really like that one. I played with Ken up in fallow yup he's got one steep ass hill. He also has the nastiest hanging tonal I've had to wrangle, damn it's high and on a hill.

Different hole I threaded a gap through the trees right down the middle up high going downhill and they were "don't throw that way!"

And I'm all "why not?"

"Well that's nasty down there!"

Anyhow threw blind, on their advice of where the pin was, down my route got a birdie and they were like "hmmm hadn't thought of that"

Haha 30' is a huge gap for us island boys.

Fallow was a little rough but that's nothing like the "Big Stupid Guy" on Cortes, granted it's not as steep as Fallow for grade, but you hike and play uphill for 2.5+ hrs and then stop, enjoy the view and play it downhill.

Yep, played Copper Ridge. Was quite fun.

Some of those tonals at Fallow were fun, but I assume you're talking about that small LP tank about 20' off the ground. That was pretty brutal. I met a few people at the course in Kelowna and then played a league night with them. Was super fun.

I ran a C Tier at Lake Marshall yesterday and MPO played the longest, most difficult course in Virginia to date. It was a setup designed for a potential top pro event that didn't happen. Last 3 holes of Lair and the 15 holes of Lions that are completed. Almost 12000 feet, par 73- SSA slightly over 75.

This will be the last of the hybrid events at the Lake because The Lions is going to be done by fall. As the TD that makes me very happy :).

I used to think Mahr Park KY or Panther Creek TN were EXTREME. However, I just played the much heralded Iffy Hollers KY this weekend (private, only set up for tournaments maybe once or twice a year). It dwarfs any course I've ever played--by a long shot! Seriously. Everything is absolutely massive. Signature holes galore and many top-of-the-world shots where you can watch your disc do things you rarely get to see. A round for a 4 pack will take at least 6 hrs and will test your endurance almost as much as your game.

Iffy might just tire a man out!

279425151_5143887912300710_175009631753553278_n.jpg

Iffy might just tire a man out!

279425151_5143887912300710_175009631753553278_n.jpg

Iffy took more outta me than any course I've played to date. That includes Toboggan, North Boundary, Idlewild, Goliath, Leviathan , Ozark Mountain and/or Spencer-Davis. The day after I played Iffy, my legs were Jelly.

I thank you for hooking me up for that experience! And thanks for hooking me up to play the trio at Ozark before it closed... chiggers and all.