• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most EXTREME course you've ever played?

I think that Bucksnort may be more "extreme" than Diamond X in some regards.

There are holes at Bucksnort where there is zero level ground to land a disc. At Diamond X, for better or worse, there are some level spots to lay up. Bucksnort is raw punishment in some areas.

I think that Bucksnort may be more "extreme" than Diamond X in some regards.

There are holes at Bucksnort where there is zero level ground to land a disc. At Diamond X, for better or worse, there are some level spots to lay up. Bucksnort is raw punishment in some areas.

At the risk of doing Captain Obvious' job, "extreme" can mean all sorts of things to different people. Courses can be extreme in any/all of these ways:
- overall playing length
- difficulty/challenge
- crazy rough
- elevation (hiking up & down)
- elevation (that affects breathing and disc stability)
- risk of disc loss / lots of dicey water in play
- beauty
- rocky & rugged terrain, difficult to traverse
- risk reward opportunities and rollaway potential
- tight and technical

...and some I probably haven't even thought of.

Additionally, what's extreme for some locales might be pretty typical somewhere else.

Dragon Ridge in Candenton, Missouri is very extreme and features one of roughest sections anywhere. Holes 6-9 have a sign stating that this is a dangerous section and players should be in good physical condition and be wearing proper footwear. So the Valk Kid who failed on both conditions soldiered on. Hole 6 plays down a super steep hill with a goat trail leading down and then 7-8-9 play up this rock strewn ravine filled with the worst jagged rocks one can imagine. Had I had known it was anywhere this bad, I would have skipped this section in a heartbeat.

This hole course is covered with sharp, jagged rocks making walking anywhere treacherous. Previous reviewers tell stories of young, healthy players in their groups twisting ankles and skinning knees.

Back to my experience with this section. I somehow managed not to fall, scrape or multilate my decrepid old body in any way.

My family loves Lake of the Ozarks, and we always stayed in Camdenton when we'd go down there. We haven't been in a couple years though, and I didn't start playing DG until after our last trip to the Lake. Would love to get back down there and try out Dragon Ridge.
It looks awesome!

Whippin' Post. It's got the woodedness and extreme elevation of Sugaree combine with a more densely-wooded version of John Houck's multistage par 4/5 madness. The lines and scale of the place are just unreal. There were times where I felt like I was playing a course made for giants.

Hence why I haven't back there since 1999.

Nothing like that, but for extreme topography mine would be the old Gran Canyon course in Brooksville, Florida---with 60' cliffs of crumbly limestone and clay, and my ability to put errant shot in places where I would attempt to scale the cliffs to recover my discs. Covered in brutal sawgrass, which is exactly like it sounds and would slice me up as a retrieved my other errant throws.

The course is open this week, leading up to the Monster on the Mountain tournament this coming weekend. It is set up in a modified "gold course" version. I just played it on Sunday and it was brutal! I had previously played the short version last spring for the Throw Down the Mountain tournament, and that was challenging, but super fun. As a rec player, the current course set-up is way out of my league, but I'm proud to say I finished my round!

The course is open this week, leading up to the Monster on the Mountain tournament this coming weekend. It is set up in a modified "gold course" version. I just played it on Sunday and it was brutal! I had previously played the short version last spring for the Throw Down the Mountain tournament, and that was challenging, but super fun. As a rec player, the current course set-up is way out of my league, but I'm proud to say I finished my round!

I am sooooooo jealous. The original Canyon course may be my alltime favorite, and the Throw Down the Mountain versions are pretty high up there. I wish I could see what they've done with it for the Monster.

Hence why I haven't back there since 1999.

I do not think of Whippin' Post / Woodshed as being extreme. Beautiful, dramatic piece of land with no shortage of trees, absolutely, but I'm an old guy and played them both on a summer afternoon.

Now Orange Crush or Colorado mountain golf, that can be pretty extreme . . . :D

I am sooooooo jealous. The original Canyon course may be my alltime favorite, and the Throw Down the Mountain versions are pretty high up there. I wish I could see what they've done with it for the Monster.

I've attached an image of the scorecard. Distances are a little hard to read, but the total is 8900 feet. Obviously, that doesn't tell you everything that changed. I didn't play the long positions last spring, so I'm not sure about teepad changes relative to then. Some of the pin positions are definitely further than they were then though. And trickier. E.G. around a corner and closer to the edge of a cliff or steep rollaway. They definitely made it a challenging layout!

Attachments

• MOTM Scorecard.jpg
    MOTM Scorecard.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 8
That's OK; it's all run together in my head, anyway. Even the TDTM layout changed from year to year, particularly the first two years, and flipped the front & back 9. The original layout was very different---in some places going in opposite directions---so I don't remember which is what. Last time I played, the place seemed to be full of old ghosts of holes; I walked past something and suddenly recall, Hey, there used to be a basket here!

But back to my original story, I did get into some precarious places trying to retrieve discs, thinking that it was going to be a silly and painful was to die. And that's without any snake encounters. Of all the Florida dangers we travelers dream of, falling of a cliff normally isn't one. Or bleeding to death from grass cuts, either, come to think of it.

just walked in from playing the roughly 11000 foot par 72 setup for the Lake Marshall Open this weekend. Up, down, woods, water, wide open... it has all of it in spades. I hope to keep my scores in the 70's from the shorter tees- no success at that today- not even close.

just walked in from playing the roughly 11000 foot par 72 setup for the Lake Marshall Open this weekend. Up, down, woods, water, wide open... it has all of it in spades. I hope to keep my scores in the 70's from the shorter tees- no success at that today- not even close.

Just need to build in a few secret local routes . . . :D

But 72 on on 11,000' course with no secret local routes is no joke.

Dragon Ridge which is about a mile away from my house is most definitely the most extrreme course I've ever played. I only play there a couple times a year because of how extreme it is. You would have to be a real masochist to truly enjoy that course.

Playing in a couple of tourneys down south I notice that the US has some REALLY long courses with gobs of OB. Not many courses laid out like this in Canada.

Just played Blue Lake Course in Fairview, OR and it's over 10,000 feet of course with OB everywhere. Shooting par is a 986 round, which is just insane to me.

It definitely rewards a different skill set versus a course like Milo where the BSF is held. I found this type of open but long and OB course very mentally draining.

Latest posts