• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most hated plant in your area for disc golf?

Menacewarf

Double Eagle Member
In my area of Maine and for me it has to be the American Beech tree. The buds are inch long potentially eye gouging spines and the branches are incredibly rigid, more rigid than any other tree I know of. This one tree causes me more pain than just about every other species combined. On top of all that the species suffers from a blight and doesn't even really ever have the chance to grow to majestic old growth 99% of the time, instead suffering a slow ugly death when about 12-24 inches diameter breast height.

What's your most hated plant for disc golf in your area?

Cholla cactus (pronounced as "choy-ya"):

Cholla_Cactus_Garden_IMG_8127.jpg

Poison Ivy or Oak... we have the thorny trees/bushes too but ill take a few pokes over itching rash anyyyyyyyday!

Giles

The razor-wire, I mean thorns, at Giles. The ticks just add insult to injury.

Poison oak, which is endemic to northern california...

^ This, but blackberry bushes deserve an honorable mention for drawing blood on some courses.

yes. We also have this grass here in Cali that covers your socks and shoes with spiny, sometimes painful little barbs. Forget the name of the grass but in summer into fall this does really suck.

Poison oak, which is endemic to northern california...

Hate to get all botany nerd on you Peter, but although Poison Oak is native to Norcal, it is not endemic, which means only found there.

I don't know if it is the most hated (yet), but wild parsnip has become an issue for at least one local course, and it is spreading like crazy around the area. It has become really bad along some of the highways where mowing frequency has been cut or eliminated.

I hate those saw palmettos in Florida. For Texas (where I am now), it is cactus.

definitely the Itchy stuff. Oak, Ivy, Sumac. all of it. briars are no issue to me. Ivy is more common, but Oak sucks so very much.

During tournaments, I think I dislike running into stinging nettles as much as anything due to the afterburn.

Poison oak now that I'm in CA, it was poison ivy out in the midwest. I can deal with all the thorny/scratchy/prickly stuff, but I react very badly to any of the urushiol producing plants. Even nettles don't bother me much, they only sting and itch for a minute or so and then it's over for me.

Poison oak now that I'm in CA, it was poison ivy out in the midwest. I can deal with all the thorny/scratchy/prickly stuff, but I react very badly to any of the urushiol producing plants. Even nettles don't bother me much, they only sting and itch for a minute or so and then it's over for me.

I felt the same way until I ran into some nettles at Camp Cullom DGC. Maybe it was just something about the growing conditions last year, but those were some of the most painful nettles I've ever encountered. Never mind that it was 90 degrees out, I went back to my car from the farthest point of the course just to put some pants on.

I'm sure down south and east they will mention the Kudzu.

kudzu-covered-house.jpg

Pioson Oak & Ivy when Living in the NW. Up hear in Alaska its not so much the plants as the wildlife I would be looking out for. The one plant though is Devils Club that can give you some trouble.

Nothing as bad as a dose of the ivy (oak in western parts). Dang insideous plant, that attacks without provoction. Our game seriously does not allow for one to completely stay out of the stuff. a couple healthy doses and I am very much more aware, but still from time to time.
Second, is wild rose bushes, mixed and hiding in brush, stuff grabs and rips, skin or clothes. Sometime you just don't see it. Good thread.

I felt the same way until I ran into some nettles at Camp Cullom DGC. Maybe it was just something about the growing conditions last year, but those were some of the most painful nettles I've ever encountered. Never mind that it was 90 degrees out, I went back to my car from the farthest point of the course just to put some pants on.

I'm sure down south and east they will mention the Kudzu.

kudzu-covered-house.jpg

Kudzu really isn't that bad down here. But briar patches though, those are the ones that really get cha.