• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most Overrated Mid-West Courses?

AdamH,Mashnut,zudOO, Dr.James A. Dillon Park I Just found out that this Oct. The Hamilton Disc Golf Union (Thehdgu.com, Facebook also) will be transplanting 100 Mature trees, from the surrounding woods. The trees we are looking at are mature growth,20' to 40'? Obviously, Most of them will be moved to the back 9. Make plans next summer and give this course another chance. This being my "home course" I did over Hype it. I feel my most recent review is more accurate. Keep an eye out on updates here and the facebook page. See ya next summer!

Solid 3.5
-signage sucks. course shape and maintenance, eh. Challenging, indeed. Hell, I play in the open leagues there every Thursday.

5 long is brilliant...as it is a regular birdy hole for me. A true understanding of a floating hyzer shot with nice glide, or skip at the end.

14 long is just weird.

...as for not being my type of course, it sort of is. I know no one who can consistently conquer it...that to makes a fun, challenging course..but still WAY too many cons from raising it in ratings beyond a 3.5

The signage will be fixed very soon. My brother already made a complete set of signs. Very nice. I don't know when he's going to install them, probably soon.

for some "reason" the southeast courses, and even the KZoo courses, are used for the major tourneys...

West Michigan (Muskegon north to Traverse city), especially the Ludington area would be a phenomenal place to hold a major.

He's right!

The courses played in the 2008 Worlds are all good, Oshtemo particularly. Not world class, but good.

It's the coverage of the 2008 Worlds that was very poor. A bunch of interviews, and one clip from a hole at a temp course. Would love to have seen pros drive Oshtemo 12.

The general consensus is that Red is the favorite course of most at Lemon. I gave Silver/Gold the highest rating; but gave Red a pretty good rating as well; 3.5 I think. Course ratings here tend to give blue level courses higher ratings than gold level courses; because this site leans much more to the average player; than the gold level player.

Sorry for the double post -occaisionally, I actually have to work, and the 5 min edit monster gets in the way. :p

To elaborate:Western MI has some incredible courses: great scenery, great terrain, well maintained whenever I've played them, and ...oh yeah - wonderful disc play!

As for Hudson Mills: I gave the Orig a 4.0 and the Monster a 4.5, -here's why:
Experiencing 'The Mills' extends well beyond dual pads, decent tee signs, scorecards w/course maps, complimentary pencils, two 24 hole championship caliber courses on site (all of which contribute to highter ratings), or even the great disc golf itself (hole design, shot variety, challenge, etc.)

IMO, what truly sets The Mills apart are many additional elements that contribute to the total experience: both courses are always well groomed and in top shape. The park itself is quiet, peaceful, and with 48 holes that are fairly well segregated from other park activities, hardly ever backs up. The Activity Center is very conveniently located and offers a clean, comfortable, pleasant place to rest and enjoy a meal in between rounds, as well as clean bathrooms (better than what I've seen in some restaurants).

Yes, people on golf carts approach you to make sure you have a wrist band/annual pass, followed up with:
"Anybody need a cold beverage? "
"Hold on! Let me sweep that tee pad off for you."
"How about a shot of bug spray?
"
Are you kidding me? :confused:
:clap::thmbup:
Not exaggerating in the least (may I fall asleep beneath the bovine in my avatar :gross: if I am).

Even admitting there's better disc golf elsewhere, there's still no denying the disc golf itself here is 'very good to excellent,' which would put these courses at 3.5 - 4.0. Throw in all the little extras that make a day at The Mills special, and surely it has to account for something - hence the 1/2 disc bump. It's the closest thing I've seen to Country Club Disc Golf.

I enjoyed Hudson Mills a great deal and think the Monster especially is over looked regarding being a top quality course. Monster kicked my butt hard; and there are some things I didn't personally like about the course....landing areas seemed quite random and would often find your next shot had to be taken from an altered stance; with no run up; due to a bush or a tree; with still quite a drive to go; to get to the pin. However, I agree with what was otherwise stated above. Michigan, in general, will end up eventually, with one of the highest overall, state wide, course ratings....
Though, some more "modern" states will probably be higher; i.e. North Carolina, Colorado, Oregon, perhaps Pennsylvania and New England. Never mind, guess I'm just rambling...to conclude; Monster was tough....

AdamH,Mashnut,zudOO, Dr.James A. Dillon Park I Just found out that this Oct. The Hamilton Disc Golf Union (Thehdgu.com, Facebook also) will be transplanting 100 Mature trees, from the surrounding woods. The trees we are looking at are mature growth,20' to 40'? Obviously, Most of them will be moved to the back 9. Make plans next summer and give this course another chance. This being my "home course" I did over Hype it. I feel my most recent review is more accurate. Keep an eye out on updates here and the facebook page. See ya next summer!

That's great news! That course has a lot of potential and transplanting trees should help it out significantly.

Maybe it IS that good.

Haven't had the time to review EVERY post on this thread, but there's one course that seems to be evading this thread:

IDLEWILD

Just maybe, it really delivers the goods.
Never been there - want to.

Gonnagal is going this weekend - will have to get the low down from him.
:popcorn:

I would have to say Bryant Lake is way overrated. I like Kaposia about 1000 times more and it's rated way lower than Bryant Lake, as well as a bunch of other courses. So I suppose I think Bryant Lake is overrated, Kaposia way underrated, as well as Blue Ribbon is underrated.

Bryant Lake is superbly plain and mediocre!

IMO Bryant is so high because of the quality of the grounds, not the layout as much. It does have a fun layout, and is one of my favorites, but I'd rather play Kaposia or Acorn (or definitely BRP). Acorn and Kaposia though are soooo run down, and that's why I personally rate them lower. Generally I weigh the condition of the course pretty high.

brp is definitely underrated.

edit: whoops I didn't read Harr's comment yet. Sorry for pretty much re-saying what you said :(

Last edited:
Blue Ribbon is in the top ten you know? I enjoyed Bryant Lake; but liked Kaposia better. I think that was an older layout though....Bryant, of course, must be getting mad props these days for the landscaping. Sounds as though Kaposia is getting a face lift in the near future....

Haven't had the time to review EVERY post on this thread, but there's one course that seems to be evading this thread:

IDLEWILD

Just maybe, it really delivers the goods.
Never been there - want to.

Gonnagal is going this weekend - will have to get the low down from him.
:popcorn:

I will be, as soon as these last 2 hours of work would just fly by already.

Idlewild isn't mentioned in this thread (except by someone who has never played there) for a reason...

IT DELIVERS!

that is all.

The courses played in the 2008 Worlds are all good, Oshtemo particularly. Not world class, but good.

In my recent whirlwind daytrip up the west coast of MI, I went out of my way to play Oshtemo (with Greg Layton) since I am puzzled by the love some have for it and the strong apathy others seem to have. My body did not thank me for doing so, but I am glad I did before heading up and playing the 4 Ludington courses (24 holes each in the 87 degree sun) and then 2 rounds at Flip City.

I can see why short arms would love Oshtemo.....and why the bigger arms might love a few of the holes. Holes 1 & 2 start out great, but the rest of the course is characterized by repetitious holes that all feel the same aesthetically and design-wise. The course is very pretty and well maintained....that much can be applauded and loved by all.

A very common design "feature" (longs tees) is to have a hole that is just a little too long to reach by most, but made impossible to reach by the few that have huge arms by use of trees scattered mid-fairway or even worse 40-80' from the basket. This leaves the only good option to play them, save mid/putter, save mid/putter, drop-in putt. There is no reason to go for it - the risk is too high for the slight chance of a reward.

From the short tees, it is usually too short to be rewarding/fun for anyone who throws 300'+. Therefore, both the long and short tees best cater to throwers who can only muster 230-280'.

IDLEWILD

I for one think it is overrated here. A great course in many respects, but overrated nonetheless. Read the thread if you want to know more.

Latest posts