• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most Simple Post Ever

The best reason for me now

Since starting disc golf a little over a year ago, I have become incredibly hooked. But I was reminded today why this is my favorite thing to do:

I am 33, and have never been married or had kids. My girlfriend and I moved in together about a month ago, and she has a 14 year old son. I took him chucking about 4 months ago for the first time, and like me, he absolutely loved it. After picking him up from school today, he asked me to take him chuckin. What a perfect way for he and I to be competitive, to joke around, to be friends, and just have a good time.

I honestly can't think of ANYTHING else that I could do with a 14 year old, and have so much fun while doing.

Please keep posting, reading this thread is feeding my addiction over some very long and boring graveyard shifts!!

I love being a part of nature. (I play clothed, don't worry) Golf gets me outdoors, and in to some very pretty parks. I also play for the friendships I make along the way. I'm sure everyone will agree that as many spit outs, shanked drives, and discs tossed in the water, we all come back to the next throw. There's nothing better than watching your disc make that nice gentle hyzer across the grass and cruise towards the basket, or that tingle in your finger tips after you snap the hell out of a disc, or that 40 foot putt smashing into the chains while you were awkwardly crouched on the other side of a tree.

Also, I work at a country club with a couple other disc golfers. I like the reactions when we say things like, "I was playing golf yesterday, and I got a nice anny out of my beast, and parked it under the basket." All the ball golfers are clueless.

While I was studying classical guitar at Juilliard I became fascinated with the blues in general and Robert Johnson's music in particular. I became obsessed with learning how Johnson developed his sound and with finding a famed "missing song" that showed the famed bluesman at his greatest but then was lost to the world. During my quest I found that one of Johnson's longtime collaborators, Willie Brown, was incarcerated in a nearby prison. After meeting with him several times and playing my guitar for him, Willie agreed to show me the "lost song" if I busted him out of prison and get him to Mississippi. I agreed and we hoboed our way down South. We eventually came to a crossroads in rural Mississippi where Willie told me that there was no missing song and that he and Robert Johnson had gained their musical talents in a deal with the Devil. The Devil then showed up to remind Willie that he still owed him his soul, but offered me a deal to free Willies soul if I could win a head-cutting duel against blues-metal guitar hero Jack Butler. I thought the whole thing was made up, so I accepted. Turns out this "Jack Butler" dude could play like Steve Vai! I was toast. The Devil than revealed to me my fate...I was dammed to frequent out of the way parks and throw goofy plastic saucers at odd shaped B-B-Q grills for all eternity.

So to paraphrase Flip Wilson, I play disc golf because the Devil makes me do it.

LMAO...Perfect

The short answer is I play because I want to.

Here's a longer answer:
I really enjoy being outside in general, I love hiking and backpacking, so a walk in the woods is already something I'll go out of my way to do. Add in a sport that an average guy who's not very coordinated can be halfway decent at and a girlfriend who also loves to get out and play, and it's a pretty quick addiction. Once I started playing more courses, I realized how much fun it is to travel and play new places, and how great an excuse that is to see interesting parts of the country and how easy it is to find neat places to play on the way to just about anywhere.

Cuz im addicted to it.

It is something I can work at and try to get better at constantly.

Right on,I play because I enjoy walking the courses a lot,and as others have stated,seeing yourself improve is pretty cool,needless to say my first round at the course i play was worse than 20 over,and now i'd say my average is 3+ or so,and that's only in about 7 months of play,so that makes me pretty happy considering it's a tough course :)

I really have no idea why I love the game, but I can tell I'm addicted because I get pissy after a few days off disc golf.

I used to walk in the woods for exercise and never really heard or had much interest in disc golf until about a year ago. I mainly play for the fun of it, never thought throwing a disc could hold my attention for so long. The exercise part of it is just a plus as I would be exercising regardless. Unfortunately, I love buying/collecting discs even though I've been playing a short time I love all of the different discs/colors/dyes/molds and obsessively collect them.

I play because I have never found any other sport with which I've actually felt like it "clicked". Once I got the hang of it (my 2nd round, maybe?), it just made sense that I should be playing this, much like the same epiphany that my father-in-law had when he started playing ball golf. I could say being outside, the exercise, meeting some great people, etc. but the truth is that I feel like I have a deep connection to this sport and that's why I play.

im outdoors
it keeps me active
everyone needs a hobby
there is something beautiful about the flight of a disc

Since I was 4 years old I've been the athletic member of the family. Baseball, track, college dodgeball, ball golf, softball. Been there, done that. As of late, I haven't really had a venue to invest my talents in. However, last summer, I was introduced to the sport by one of my friends. Hesitant at first, I gave it a chance, and bought a 171g Star Wraith (What a noob!). Long story short, I was hooked. I love the process of improving my form and actually seeing a vast difference in distance. I also love blowing away my buddies' distance drivers with putters.

I play because I have never found any other sport with which I've actually felt like it "clicked". Once I got the hang of it (my 2nd round, maybe?), it just made sense that I should be playing this, much like the same epiphany that my father-in-law had when he started playing ball golf. I could say being outside, the exercise, meeting some great people, etc. but the truth is that I feel like I have a deep connection to this sport and that's why I play.

took the words right out of my mouth ....

well, i fell in love with disc sports playing ultimate the last few years, but when the rest if the team went to college me and my friend moved over to DG cuz we can do it without a team... and i guess it just snowballed from there

I hope this post gets a lot of play...

I have one question: Why do you play?

For me: exercise. challenge of getting better. comraderie with friends and other chuckers.

Please respond often, I think this could be an interesting thread...

Yep thats why I do it, the Comraderie.
Graphics-soviet-propaganda-all-hail-comrade-stalin.jpg

I mean, who doesnt like vodka and cheap nuclear power.

I am a very competitive person and I will play probably any sport that I have a chance to play. I thrive on competition, whether it be from another person/team or from myself. I think what I like the most about golf and disc golf is that it can be me against someone else, my team against another team, or me against the course/score.

Sports in general get me away from the house and staying active. I can't sit still for very long. I have to be doing something. DG is probably the most accessible sport for me in that it doesn't take anything for me to hop in the car and drive to the park to play for several hours.

In both golf and DG, I love to see a great drive in flight and a long putt that finds its destination, hence my sig.

I play to beat Johnson.

Bwahahahaha!!!!!1!

There might be a few more than that but I'm going to bed so goodnight.

Latest posts