• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most under-rated courses

Mando

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I'm curious which courses are rated significantly below it's current condition.
Here's few to consider:
Iron Hill-3.64
Roscoe Ewing-3.69
Hornet's Nest-3.98
Sedgley Woods-3.40
Kilbourne-3.44
Whipering Falls-3.64
Mars Hill-3.36
Pymutuning-3.33

IMO, virtually all courses on here with at least 10 reviews are either over-rated or properly rated. Human nature, especially since no objective standards are involved in the ratings process.

Course condition has absolutely nothing to do with course rating. A highly rated course can be in unplayable shape if a storm/flood/wildfire has recently plowed through it.

I'm curious which courses are rated significantly below it's current condition.
Here's few to consider:
Iron Hill-3.64
Roscoe Ewing-3.69
Hornet's Nest-3.98
Sedgley Woods-3.40
Kilbourne-3.44
Whipering Falls-3.64
Mars Hill-3.36
Pymutuning-3.33

i have a feeling some people rate a course on difficulty foremost..if they play like crap/lose discs, they rate it lower..sedgley i would think is rated "low" because it is a bit outdated(put in near '77?) and it is near a very sketchy part of town

I agree Sedgely is around 3.5 but still a lot of fun to play and should be on everyone's wish list. I think on this list I agree with Whispering Falls, I happen to think that course should be in the 4-4.5 range and I also Iron Hill should be above 4 discs as well. If Pymatuning ever gets tees corrected for the front 9 lookout..thats is one hell of a big fun course there in West PA. I'm not familiar with the others on the list.....I would nominate Devens disc golf course as very underrated...probably the most fun factor course I have ever played and the challenge gradually builds to championship caliber as you progress to the more dramatic end of the course, it's like every hole from 1-18 each hole is better than the one before until your blown away by the final hole.....just a perfect course in that regard.

Personally, I rated Sedgley higher because of it's rich history, and the great people who play there. The neighborhood is not as bad as it used to be, (I played there all the time when it was REALLY bad, and never had a single problem.) and the grooming gets better all the time.

I would go with the idea that courses are only overrated on this site. I'm not sure if a 5 star course exists. I don't think that one can't exist, just that there are none meeting the requirements as of right now.

Glancing through my list, I am thinking Davidson College is way under-rated. It averages 2.07 (1.83 without my 3.5 rating). I is a shortish course, but offers a great variety of holes, is technical yet fair, and offers a lot of seclusion and is quite pretty. In the spring and fall the scenery outside the sororities is enjoyed by many.

Kilborne and Hornet's Nest are also as mentioned above.

One thing I noticed is a regional bias. I did some comparisons using this site to help prove that this area needs more good courses. I moved from Charlotte 15 months ago so I used that area.

Around here (north and NW of Chicago) are a whole bunch of open, short, boring 9-holes and a few mediocre 18 holers. I averaged out the ratings for both areas and was amazed that they are almost the same (about half a disc different).

The lower end of the 18-holers in Charlotte (Boyd Hill, Kilborne, Reedy Creek and Sugaw) absolutely blow away the 18 holers here (Bevier and Fairfield). And, Charlotte has epic courses like Hornet's Nest, Renny and Winthrop.

I know this is just one isolated example, but I am willing to bet a lot that this sort of issue is all over the place. Since the number of well travelled reviewers is much less than local players/reviwers this sort of bias will not go away I doubt.

One thing I noticed is a regional bias. I did some comparisons using this site to help prove that this area needs more good courses. I moved from Charlotte 15 months ago so I used that area.

Around here (north and NW of Chicago) are a whole bunch of open, short, boring 9-holes and a few mediocre 18 holers. I averaged out the ratings for both areas and was amazed that they are almost the same (about half a disc different).

The lower end of the 18-holers in Charlotte (Boyd Hill, Kilborne, Reedy Creek and Sugaw) absolutely blow away the 18 holers here (Bevier and Fairfield). And, Charlotte has epic courses like Hornet's Nest, Renny and Winthrop.

I know this is just one isolated example, but I am willing to bet a lot that this sort of issue is all over the place. Since the number of well travelled reviewers is much less than local players/reviwers this sort of bias will not go away I doubt.

Definitely true, something I've noticed as well while playing in different parts of the country. That's one reason I really try to stay out of most of the ratings argument, and use them only for my own personal list, and as a place to start when I'm picking courses to play in a specific area.

Glancing through my list, I am thinking Davidson College is way under-rated. It averages 2.07 (1.83 without my 3.5 rating). I is a shortish course, but offers a great variety of holes, is technical yet fair, and offers a lot of seclusion and is quite pretty. In the spring and fall the scenery outside the sororities is enjoyed by many.

Kilborne and Hornet's Nest are also as mentioned above.

davidson college deserves a 1 if you ask me. horrible course.

davidson college deserves a 1 if you ask me. horrible course.

Yup, the course is in need of major TLC. The underbrush is way too thick making the fairways almost non-existent. If this was all taken care of, it'd be a decent 18-holer, but a notch below all the other Charlotte area courses.

Sadly, or actually not surprising, I gave an honest, in-depth expalanation of this in my review and have gotten the most thumbs-down for any course I've reviewed.

Not suprising. Most disc golfers haven't traveled over a wide area. If you've only played weak courses, you'll think them "average". Since you love disc golf, you'll love them and rate them "above average". Likewise, if you've only played great courses, you'll also think them "average". If you live where there are a lot of 9-holers, you'll think that's normal; if you live where there is only one 9-holer, you'll think it's odd.

True, but most of the factors in the "objective rating" turn out to be subjective, as is how much weight to give different factors. So it's not true that there are no objective standards, but inevitably reviews and ratings will show a great deal of subjectivity.

Presumably the subjectivity evens out with multiple people rating a course. Except, perhaps, where course boosters seem intent on winning the "top rating" prize for their course.

I haven't played Sedgley, but after looking at the pics, it's hard for me to believe that there are 813 better disc golf courses in the US. Looks like a fun tight course, and 9 extra holes is a big bonus in my book. It seems like it's age/history is considered more of a negative than a positive
with most reviewers because it is short.
I have played Kilbourne which has the same rating. I think it's an excellent
course, especially now with the Skilbourne option.
Two older courses in sketchy neigborhoods...

Latest posts