• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most underrated courses out there

I'll take a different approach... personal oppinion:

Morraine is under-rated compared to Deer Lakes.
Patapsco is under-rated compared to Seneca.
New Quarter is under-rated compared to Bryan Park (i know these two are far in distance from each other, but an appropriate comparison).

I hear Perkerson Park itself is beautiful, but I haven't played there yet because of the neighborhood.

Most defiantly! It is outstanding but the fact that I saw drug deals in the fairway and the neighborhood we drove through to get there I understand why people avoid it.

100% agree that Stumpy is way better than 3.50. The Gastonia courses (I'd rate 3.4ish) are better than Sugaw (and maybe Eastway, who I think are 3.25ish) but have enough clunker holes that they aren't as cohesive/thoughtful/well-executed as Reedy, Kilborne, Winget (3.6ish) and most definitely Scrapyard (3.8ish).

Renny and Hornets Nest are bonafide 4.5 courses if they had good signage and better maintenance.

I'm a fan of sugaw. Once again its rough but the course is fun and sneaky hard when all of the obs are in play. I think its on par with most other courses in Charlotte but there arnt many in Charlotte I dislike or that I think are bad.

The gastonia courses I'm not sure about. I was looking forward to checking them out again but my trip to Rankin was hurt by the fact that there were so many people there that I could not play much of the course.

I don't really remember Bradley but what I do remember as I was leaving thinking it was around a 3.2- 3.4.

I played goat when the back 9 was very young. I remember thinking that layout had lots of potential but was very rough at the time. I've heard its complatly changed since I went there though.

All of these courses have solid ratings but they tend to be left out of the top tier talks.

Mont du Lac, White Cedar, WI - Complete surprise. Went there to play Highbridge. Left there thinking White Cedar was one of the best courses I've played.

Burchfield Park, Devils Den, MI - Massive course with many options. I played the gold course. Phenomenal. Next time up, I will play the Blue course. The blues had more sculpted pins and greens.

Blackhawk, Tulsa, OK - Wow. Lots of water hazards. Tight fairways. Solid lengths. True calculated play. This was another course that far exceeded expectations.

Pickard Park, Indianola, IA - Immaculate. Quite open yet challenging. Awesome views. Long course with old foliage surrounding.

Ghost Town, Russell Gulch, CO - Balanced and diverse. Ghost town provides a unique disc experience. You will play through ruins, various terrain and lots of OB.

At 3.84 it may be a touch over rated, but it's a really fun course with 3 sets of tee pads with elevation. I shudder to hear what you thought of sasquatch.

With Rockness I'm a tee stickler. No solid tees (concrete or otherwise immaculate) just hurts it so much IMO. It's like going to see a good movie and having to sit in a chair that squeaks with every motion/breath you make. Plus, it tends to be too nature-ry sometimes.

Sasquatch has serious problems, and I'm not talking about those beef jerky pranksters.

With Rockness I'm a tee stickler. No solid tees (concrete or otherwise immaculate) just hurts it so much IMO. It's like going to see a good movie and having to sit in a chair that squeaks with every motion/breath you make. Plus, it tends to be too nature-ry sometimes.

Sasquatch has serious problems, and I'm not talking about those beef jerky pranksters.

No arguments here.

Rockness does have cement tees now.

I'll take a different approach... personal oppinion:

Morraine is under-rated compared to Deer Lakes.
Patapsco is under-rated compared to Seneca.
New Quarter is under-rated compared to Bryan Park (i know these two are far in distance from each other, but an appropriate comparison).

I want to play!
Loriella is under-rated compared to Blockhouse.
Dorey is under-rated compared to Bryan.

Rockness does have cement tees now.

I was not aware of that. I tried to play there a couple months ago and the whole campus was closed off for some reason. I'll have to see if it passes my tee snobbery sometime.

Bellevue is under-rated compared to Bellevue from 15yrs ago.
Jordan Creek is underrated compared to Nockamixon.
South Vineland is underrated compared to Stafford Woods.

Bellevue is under-rated compared to Bellevue from 15yrs ago.
Jordan Creek is underrated compared to Nockamixon.
South Vineland is underrated compared to Stafford Woods.

Personally i disagree on Jordan creek. I felt like it was a very good course but Nocky was next level

I hear Perkerson Park itself is beautiful, but I haven't played there yet because of the neighborhood.

I wouldn't say it's beautiful... but I really liked it. I have also played in much worse areas too.

Yeah, and Jordan Creek is rated higher. :confused:

That blew my mind when I went on my road trip up there. nocky and iron hill were the best we played imo and there were several others that we played that ere rated higher.

I wouldn't say it's beautiful... but I really liked it. I have also played in much worse areas too.

It's a pretty park but definitely not amazingly memorable, although it's easy to be surprised that a park like that is there.

While it may not be the best area, i've never felt unsafe. I'm usually way more worried about white rednecks than anything else.

That blew my mind when I went on my road trip up there. nocky and iron hill were the best we played imo and there were several others that we played that ere rated higher.

Nocky and Iron are both beat down courses; with no tee options at Nocky for respite. Therefore, lesser player's won't be liking them as well. In fact, I noted to Opti, that I would not be playing them every day. I agree with your assessment though.

West Lake in Quad Cities is kind of the same; i.e. other courses are played a lot more often. The good thing about all that, is that there are good chances you're going to have the courses like these, largely to yourself...

*Regarding the "cleanliness" they are both maintained well. However, one of the other things causing some to downgrade Nocky is the "rockiness" of that course. You have to watch every step you take; to make sure you're not going to turn an ankle.*

Latest posts