• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

If I'm sitting at my computer in February, thinking of a road trip in June, do I want to see courses listed that are closed in winter? Yes. Doesn't matter that they're currently unavailable; I want to know about them.

Bucksnort, if you've been before, you know needs reservations---at the point you contact them, you'll find out that it's closed. Highbridge Hills, if you've been before, you know the conditions and situations are variable, and you'll check before showing up. I've never been to Hawk Hollow, but I know it's not always available. I knew that with Sugaree, too.

I consider Camp Canaan a 5-star course. Were it to make the top 10, would it need to drop off on weekdays, and appear on weekends (the only time it can be played)?

Besides, if you've been and know one of the Top 10 courses, you probably want to play it again, and won't be checking to see if it's still on the list that day.

It's just a can of worms, editing the list based on availability. Like editing it to weight old or new reviews, or high or low reviews, or whatever other standards people wish to use to "improve" the list. As soon as you choose the standards, someone will be hollering about different, "better" criteria to edit it with.

Also, there's a new Houck in the New Orleans area that is phe-NOMENAL. It's definitely one of the top courses in Louisiana, probably between Whitetail and Dogwood for me. If it had elevation, right there with Whitetail.

If you glance at the top course list and have played it before, you may not go to the course page. If a course is not open, it should not be on the list, imo. Otherwise you are going to have people travelling to a closed course. It's not that much to keep up with...25 courses.
IMO anyone travelling to a private course without first contacting the owner/proprietor to make some sort of arrangement, and understand if/when the course is operational is simply stupid. Moreover, being private property, it's beyond discourteous, it's simply wrong.

David
You are not the typical DGCR user...and most folks showed up at Sugaree unannounced, when it was open and even when it was closed.

What if closed courses were rendered in a lighter shade or with a red background to signify "currently closed", and the next open course(s) show on the list? That way the course that's legitimately on the list stays there, and the list contains ten currently operational courses as well.

I take no issue with someone giving any course a 5 as long as they can justify it and its consistent with their previous reviews.
^This. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but when you give it, BACK IT UP!
Without specific examples of what you did/didn't like, you're just blowing smoke out your arse.

If I'm sitting at my computer in February, thinking of a road trip in June, do I want to see courses listed that are closed in winter? Yes. Doesn't matter that they're currently unavailable; I want to know about them.

Bucksnort, if you've been before, you know needs reservations---at the point you contact them, you'll find out that it's closed. Highbridge Hills, if you've been before, you know the conditions and situations are variable, and you'll check before showing up. I've never been to Hawk Hollow, but I know it's not always available. I knew that with Sugaree, too.

I consider Camp Canaan a 5-star course. Were it to make the top 10, would it need to drop off on weekdays, and appear on weekends (the only time it can be played)?

Besides, if you've been and know one of the Top 10 courses, you probably want to play it again, and won't be checking to see if it's still on the list that day.

It's just a can of worms, editing the list based on availability. Like editing it to weight old or new reviews, or high or low reviews, or whatever other standards people wish to use to "improve" the list. As soon as you choose the standards, someone will be hollering about different, "better" criteria to edit it with.

Preach it.

Why clog up the list, when other courses could benefit from the exposure ?

Bc it is the top 10 courses.

Not seasonal or whatever. There is no clogging up anything. Anyone traveling to play a course should do some DD.
The DGCR top ten, is nowhere close to being the top disc golf courses in the US. Neither is the top 25...

I agree with David on this. The courses should be listed in order of the disc rating regardless of whether it is currently open.

As Aim points out, I never travel to a destination course without research. Obviously if a course page indicates "unplayable", i move on down the list.

Most experienced travelers plan months in advance, and will change routings/order played, or even when we take that trip... around the availability of the courses we want to play. As Aim said, IT'S ON PLAYERS to do a bit of due diligence.

David
You are not the typical DGCR user...and most folks showed up at Sugaree unannounced, when it was open and even when it was closed.

We're a little further down the rating scale, but haven't had too much problem with this. Of those we've had, most weren't DGCR users.

To deal with those, we've added a sign, stating that if you don't have reservations, you can't play (but more tactfully). If someone still doesn't do due diligence and arrives when it's closed---that's their problem.

This tread is dead...someone please close it.

IMO anyone travelling to a private course without first contacting the owner/proprietor to make some sort of arrangement, and understand if/when the course is operational is simply stupid. Moreover, being private property, it's beyond discourteous, it's simply wrong.

That's what is so amazing about Harmon Hills. It's so accessible to the public. I think I stuffed a $20 in the donate box when I was there and I still felt like I was getting away with theft. Such a rare privilege to just be able to show up and play a private like that, so easy to take for granted.

This flurry of driveby's is on the precipice of pushing Järva into the Top 10. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that make it the first non-US course to do so?

Public Service Announcement: Get ready for John Houck's new course, Parc des Familles, located just south of New Orleans, in Marrero, Louisiana. It is the premier Cypress swamp, wooded course ever created. I played it for the first time yesterday. Out of the 569 listed courses that I have played, it jumps straight into the top 10, of which none are really ahead of the others. The only cons that I could see anyone writing are that it lacks any elevation (it's south Louisiana) and that the finishing holes are a little underwhelming (mainly because the level of phenomenal-ness starts out very quickly and peaks somewhere in the middle rather than at the end). It's regal beauty is breathtaking, however, especially if you have an appreciation for the South Louisiana landscape. I am so lucky that this course is an hour and a half drive from my house!

It would need 7 more drive-bys to make the magic threshold number of 21 reviews. Currently however, it would slot in at 8th for courses with 14 or more reviews. This is one of the reasons I would like to see a seperate critics (TR) top 10/25, as ballot stuffing like this would get filtered out on that list. I'm sure this is a really nice course. I had actually wish listed some time ago as I have preliminary plans to travel to Sweden in 2 or 3 years.

This flurry of driveby's is on the precipice of pushing Järva into the Top 10. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that make it the first non-US course to do so?

It would need 7 more drive-bys to make the magic threshold number of 21 reviews. Currently however, it would slot in at 8th for courses with 14 or more reviews. This is one of the reasons I would like to see a seperate critics (TR) top 10/25, as ballot stuffing like this would get filtered out on that list. I'm sure this is a really nice course. I had actually wish listed some time ago as I have preliminary plans to travel to Sweden in 2 or 3 years.

That's my mistake -- I thought it was 15 for some reason, not 21.

I'm almost positive it would be the first outside the US.

DGCR still doesn't have a big following outside North America, and international members were fewer still years ago.