• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

Usually, when a course debuts with a high homer-boosted rating, it draws disc golfers with broader experience and more balanced judgments, and subsequent reviews settle it down. Due to geography, that may not happen here.

Of course, maybe it could be as good as they say, too.

Usually, when a course debuts with a high homer-boosted rating, it draws disc golfers with broader experience and more balanced judgments, and subsequent reviews settle it down. Due to geography, that may not happen here.

^ This. The latter is the case with Harmony Bends and Hobbs Farm.

The issue here is, how many experienced reviewers are gonna make the trip to Stockholm? :rolleyes:

*starts GoFundMe account*

I say that TimG puts together the Course Avengers and sends like 5 diamond TR's up there to play that course. I'm okay with flying coach. :|

That's assuming that he doesn't have a special DGCR hovercraft from all the money this site has pulled in. :|

as good as they say

Problem is, most of the "reviews" don't actually say much, if anything.
How about a review doesn't count towards ranking if not-helpful >> helpful?

How about a review doesn't count towards ranking if not-helpful >> helpful?

Wouldn't work because it'd have the opposite consequence. Flip City would have a 5.0 rating. The locals tend to not take too kindly to sub 5.0-ratings based upon their voting tendencies.

There's a threshold of helpful/unhelpful ratio Trusted Reviewers have to meet to "get the badge," right? What if only courses over a certain "helpful" threshold contributed to a course rating? I know that would incentivize more people to down-vote reviews they didn't agree with based solely on the rating, but would a broad community of adamant voters regulate that?

I honestly think swatso and Blake are on to something. Generally speaking, local or not, trusted or not... when a review backs up opinions with genuine substance, the positive votes outweigh the negatives, usually by quite a margin.

If you can't say something other DG'ers think is meaningful, how much should your opinion factor into ratings?

Time to get Elsie and Bossy to work on some drive-bys for Hawk Hollow. ;) Their review priorities might be a bit off- higher rating for unmown grass for sure.

Actually I see no reason to change the way things currently work. An attempt to prevent jobbing the system is just going to be less fair in one way or another. Maybe reduce the weight of reviews by first time reviewers but that is the only thing and I'm not fully sold on that.

Last edited:
I keep thinking that this is like all the supposed voting fraud that Trumpism insists exists...well, it does, but it hardly does...

It's fun to make a big deal about something hat no one should really get their panties in a bunch over.

< hates it when his panties get bunched up.

This isn't the first and won't be the last time DGCR got gamed in this fashion. I recall a similar effort for Selah Ranch, but it's stood the test of time. And truth be told, Jarva has always been on the short lists of the best courses in Europe and the world.

This isn't the first and won't be the last time DGCR got gamed in this fashion. I recall a similar effort for Selah Ranch, but it's stood the test of time. And truth be told, Jarva has always been on the short lists of the best courses in Europe and the world.

Yep. With HH out i have now played exactly zero of the Top 10 but looking at pictures has me convinced Jarva is likely better (more to my taste) than 4 of them.

Public Service Announcement: Get ready for John Houck's new course, Parc des Familles, located just south of New Orleans, in Marrero, Louisiana. It is the premier Cypress swamp, wooded course ever created. I played it for the first time yesterday. Out of the 569 listed courses that I have played, it jumps straight into the top 10, of which none are really ahead of the others. The only cons that I could see anyone writing are that it lacks any elevation (it's south Louisiana) and that the finishing holes are a little underwhelming (mainly because the level of phenomenal-ness starts out very quickly and peaks somewhere in the middle rather than at the end). It's regal beauty is breathtaking, however, especially if you have an appreciation for the South Louisiana landscape. I am so lucky that this course is an hour and a half drive from my house!

It's on my list for the New Orleans trip I'm taking with my girlfriend this fall, totally stoked to check it out!

Anyone else notice that after a deluge of, let's say, sparse, reviews (and 1 decently fleshed out one) that jarva dgc in Sweden has jumped up in the ranks?

Someone probably pointed this out already:
"The course is threatened. Stockholm city politicians and the State Church will build a cemetery on this ground unless they change their minds in the last minute. This may be the last season to play the best course on the planet"
I love all the one and done reviewers claiming it as the best coarse on Earth, when we all know 95% of them haven't played anywhere else. Homeboy bias at its finest.

Latest posts