• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

perhaps the Trey courses are something to look forward too when i head back to DFW.

im struggling on how rating wise to evaluate the Selah courses. perhaps the poor conditions were an anomaly, but it just seamed like there was no focus or care on the course by the new owners. it may never be as good as it once was going forward. I'm likely going to ignore the uncut grass, but i'm not going to ignore how new construction and new buildings have ruined lakeside holes 5 and 10. Im also not going to ignore the fact that many of the baskets are leaning and several signs are in sad shape.

This is very sad to hear, but it is what some of us feared might happen when we heard the property had sold. It also helps me understand some of the more recent comments I have heard about Selah. Those courses, as they were 5-10 years ago, were definitely some of the best I have ever played.

The Trey Texas Ranch courses were also well-designed and impressive, but more rugged, with fewer amenities. I understand that Trey Texas took some damage from flooding a few years ago. I hope they have repaired and kept up the courses.

Regardless how you might feel about the rating, I don't see how anyone could possibly find that review "unhelpful."

It's literally loaded with info most people would have to dig around for, and still wouldn't get as complete a picture. Perfect for anyone thinking about going there.

Last edited:
below is a list of the top ten rated courses filtered using only TR reviews and only the ten most current TR reviews. (minimum 5 TR reviews).

1. 5.00 Idlewild
2. 4.95 Maple Hill
3. 4.83 Hillcrest
4. 4.80 Wilderness
4. 4.80 Hawk Hollow
6. 4.79 Caliber
7. 4.75 Harmony Bends
7. 4.75 Rollin Ridge
7. 4.75 Deer Lakes
7. 4.75 Wildcat Bluff
7. 4.75 Moraine State Park

Note: Lake Marshall - Lions has 4 TR reviews with a 5.0 average.

Last edited:
Hawk Hollow is pretty thoroughly undeserving of its spot at this point. The land is spectacular, the design is great (if I say so myself :) ), but it doesn't meet any standard of upkeep/maintenance whatsoever even if you factor in the idea that it is a cow pasture the vast majority of the time.

Hawk Hollow is pretty thoroughly undeserving of its spot at this point. The land is spectacular, the design is great (if I say so myself :) ), but it doesn't meet any standard of upkeep/maintenance whatsoever even if you factor in the idea that it is a cow pasture the vast majority of the time.

I haven't played Hawk Hollow, but hope to some day. When i played Flyboy it was not spectacularly maintained, but it was so bad a** it didn't matter. No reasonable person expects limited availability large sprawling private courses to be meticulously maintained. It may not be a non-factor, but its close to non-factor.

I haven't played Hawk Hollow, but hope to some day. When i played Flyboy it was not spectacularly maintained, but it was so bad a** it didn't matter. No reasonable person expects limited availability large sprawling private courses to be meticulously maintained. It may not be a non-factor, but its close to non-factor.

Pretty much what I said about Hawk Hollow in my review last year, and stated it. I'll stand by it!

I took hope to make it out to Hawk Hollow (Sugaree, too) in the next 12 months or so.... :rolleyes:

Hawk Hollow: Come for the disc golf.
Stay for the cow patties. :p

Sooo many courses. So little time.

... so little expendable income for lodging and *gulp* $5/gallon gas.

The Canyon in Brooksville, FL is a cow pasture most of the year.

You're in good company.

Thanks, Wells. I knew I needed to make it up to Wilderness, but didn't realize it was so universally loved by my fellow baggers.

Wilderness was one of my favorite rounds of disc golf, ever. Randomly playing most of the round with Flyboy Kelly didn't hurt. :D

Haven't been to Hawk Hollow for a few years, but it remained compelling after repeated rounds, which speaks to its virtues.

Regardless how you might feel about the rating, I don't see how anyone could possibly find that review "unhelpful."

It's literally loaded with info most people would have to dig around for, and still wouldn't get as complete a picture. Perfect for anyone thinking about going there.

It might take someone an hour or more to write a thorough review...and half a sec to downvote it cause you don't like the rating.

Not sure how to fix that, but there is definitely a difference in downvoting because the review was empty vs not agreeing with the rating.

below is a list of the top ten rated courses filtered using only TR reviews and only the ten most current TR reviews. (minimum 5 TR reviews).

1. 5.00 Idlewild
2. 4.95 Maple Hill
3. 4.83 Hillcrest
4. 4.80 Wilderness
4. 4.80 Hawk Hollow
6. 4.79 Caliber
7. 4.75 Harmony Bends
7. 4.75 Rollin Ridge
7. 4.75 Deer Lakes
7. 4.75 Wildcat Bluff

I'd love to see this list updated every year or so. I'm curious, how many more were 4.5 or higher? Three courses from here just jumped onto my radar...

1. 5.00 Idlewild
2. 4.95 Maple Hill
3. 4.83 Hillcrest
4. 4.80 Wilderness
4. 4.80 Hawk Hollow
6. 4.79 Caliber
7. 4.75 Harmony Bends
7. 4.75 Rollin Ridge
7. 4.75 Deer Lakes
7. 4.75 Wildcat Bluff

Damn, I'd have 7 of the top ten 😁

I'd love to see this list updated every year or so. I'm curious, how many more were 4.5 or higher? Three courses from here just jumped onto my radar...

I would, but i have to manually filter each one. i spent an embarrassing amount of time tallying this up.

there are 51 courses that have a 4.5 average or higher. below is the full list. For those that didn't see the earlier post, this is filtered using only the ten most current TR reviews. min 5 reviews. I did not include holler in the hills, as the course was vastly altered to my knowledge.

attachment.php

Attachments

• dgcr top 50.png
    dgcr top 50.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 174
I think I got 18 of them. Been rained out of Camden II twice. Should pick up 3 more in September. Longview, Water Works and Bad Rock Creek. Might as well finally add Bryant Lake while I'm at it too.

I see Nockamixon is on the list. It's currently closed, not sure if it's permanent or not, but I'd imagine with the removal of so many trees it might fall into the Holler in the Hills category. The Highbridge Blueberry and Gold courses are definitely different than when first installed as well. Either way, Awesome list Wellsbranch :clap::clap::clap:

Excellent list, thanks for compiling Wellsbranch!

I have played 5 of the top 6 and 23 overall. Hoping to add Brakewell Steel / Warwick Park and Sabattus - Eagle this summer.

Also looking forward to playing Lake Marshall - The Lions this fall (5.0 with 4 TR reviews). Lake Marshall - The Lair may join the list soon (4.75 with 4 TR reviews, including mine :) )

I was sad to miss Grindstone Park, which was snowed in when we drove through the area last winter.

Latest posts