• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

highlights

-branson trails blue was a fantastic course super wooded and need to hit tight lines with elevation and rugged terrain as expected for the ozarks area i would highly recommend this one however its local supporting cast is super weak im surprised this hasnt cracked the top 25 (i would put this in place of justin trails without a doubt)
Might be the best course that appeared to be physically unplayable except by goats most of the time. Played holes 1-3 & 18 slipping and sliding everywhere on the downed leaves and loose gravel hillsides on these holes. The rest of the holes might be excellent, but we couldn't risk the unpredictable footing.

Insight? Just read all of Wellsbranch's reviews for the Birmingham area. :)

Inverness is VERY punishing from the longs.

And I really enjoyed Clay. :)

:thmbup: For sure. Reviews are the foundation of my research for any area....and Wells is certainly a go-to reviewer. I often put out additional feelers to get some local input, a hidden gems, some good grub, beer or sights to see.

Ru4por.
There are lots of people that love Clay, and I personally recommend checking it out if you have time to play 3 courses. Several Trusted Reviewers have favorited it, including Cerealman, Mr Butlertron, Lion, Bennybennybenny. Like I often say, everyone likes and dislikes there own aspects about courses. Clay is generally a park style course, with a handful of wooded holes. I think it misses the mark in places and could have delivered more diabolical woods play. I guess the designers didn't prefer to deliver that aspect.

the local big 3 are Inverness, Clay and George Ward. This is what they play in tournaments for PROs and MA1s. MA2s often play George, Clay and LeMaster (aka Civitan). while MA3s often play George, Lemaster and Greg Carter. The cutesy cupcake courses are Pinson, Magnolia and Humble Tree. none of the local 9ers are worth a look, except to pad courses played stats

Last edited:
Ru4por.
There are lots of people that love Clay, and I personally recommend checking it out if you have time to play 3 courses. Several Trusted Reviewers have favorited it, including Cerealman, Mr Butlertron, Lion, Bennybennybenny. Like I often say, everyone likes and dislikes there own aspects about courses. Clay is generally a park style course, with a handful of wooded holes. I think it misses the mark in places and could have delivered more diabolical woods play. I guess the designers didn't prefer to deliver that aspect.

the local big 3 are Inverness, Clay and George Ward. This is what they play in tournaments for PROs and MA1s. MA2s often play George, Clay and LeMaster (aka Civitan). while MA3s often play George, Lemaster and Greg Carter. The cutesy cupcake courses are Pinson, Magnolia and Humble Tree. none of the local 9ers are worth a look, except to pad courses played stats

Thank you. I am going to be in town for about a week. Generally getting a course or so each day. Playing with the wife and pooch, so we are not very quick. I had most of the higher rated courses earmarked. Your insight on some of the secondary courses is appreciated.

Thank you. I am going to be in town for about a week. Generally getting a course or so each day. Playing with the wife and pooch, so we are not very quick. I had most of the higher rated courses earmarked. Your insight on some of the secondary courses is appreciated.

There are also two new 18 hole courses on the south side of town that I'm about to list. Valleydale Church and The Coop. I on-paper I rate them a 1.75 and 2.75. let me know what you think if you guys hit either of these two.

Clay is fine, it's just very vanilla. You can find a course like that in any major metropolitan area without any trouble. Inverness wow'ed me way way more than the other five courses I played down there. I don't even remember the other four courses, honestly, and I might only remember Clay because I hung out with some locals after the round.

Back to the top ten; the new 2023 Udisc top ten has only two courses in common with the current DGCR top ten. And they are, Caliber and BRP.

Last edited:
Back to the top ten; the new 2023 Udisc top ten has only two courses in common with the current DGCR top ten. And they are, Caliber and BRP.

I've played 7 on that list (top 100). Should knock off a few more this year.

As we've discussed, the UDisc stats only include those using UDisc and the rankings for their list tend to be more about popularity than design. I contacted UDisc and asked if they could compare the length of that most popular/best course in each state with the length of other courses in the area. Being familiar with many of the courses on their list (having played 35), they seemed shorter than the surrounding courses or at least had a short layout.

The point being that shorter courses are likely to be more popular because there are more people who have the distance to play most of the holes to par with regular birdies and a few ace runs. However, on DGCR, all things equal, longer courses will typically get higher ratings. My position is that there can be courses at every length worthy of 4 or more disc ratings if they have all of the basics in terms of hard surface pads, good baskets, good signs and a good mix of well-designed holes appropriate for that skill level.

What I don't get is how does the UDisc top 100 vary so much year to year? How is Jarva up 75 spots, Mayflower up 41, WR Jackson up 21, and some course named Sugaree (whatever that is) up 30? Barring a course getting a redesign, how is it moving up in the rankings like that? Unless, it really is just a popularity contest.

What I don't get is how does the UDisc top 100 vary so much year to year? How is Jarva up 75 spots, Mayflower up 41, WR Jackson up 21, and some course named Sugaree (whatever that is) up 30? Barring a course getting a redesign, how is it moving up in the rankings like that? Unless, it really is just a popularity contest.
Didn't Jarva lose some holes, then had others redesigned?
WR Jackson may have gotten a big boost from last year's major. I had never seen it in coverage, but it's on my bucket list now. Not sure on the others but I agree it seems like too much movement for existing courses...

Clay is fine, it's just very vanilla. You can find a course like that in any major metropolitan area without any trouble. Inverness wow'ed me way way more than the other five courses I played down there. I don't even remember the other four courses, honestly, and I might only remember Clay because I hung out with some locals after the round.

Hitting a bunch of what should be pretty good courses on my detour through 'Bama, Mississippi, and Louisiana on my way home from Florida, including Inverness along with The Admiral near Mobile and Bowers Park in Tuscaloosa.

Really looking forward to some of the best offerings in three new states for me.

So it appears I've played 29 of the Udisc top 100 thus far. If all goes as planned I'll be adding 7 more this year. Not too shabby.

I've played 12 of the top 25 courses on DGCR. If all goes as planned I'll add 2 more this year.

Some interesting course ratings on both places, but they're still just ratings. A few random thoughts.

BRP is vastly overrated imo. It's still much better than the 2 Airborn Disc Golf Preserve courses, Timberwolf and Lynx. Those courses have no business being in the top 100. None whatsoever. Again, IMO.

Bryant Lake is a really fun course, but Bethel University is the best in Minny. I'd put the full layout at Kaposia above it too.

Sandy Point in WI is one of my favorite courses played. Not tops in WI though. One course at Highbridge in the top 100 is comical, even after JJ let it slip.

There's a few that made me smile with their inclusion though.

Sugaree
Tjader Acres
Chain's Edge-Green
Chain's Edge-Red

Those are 4 of my all time favorite courses played to date. Private courses at that. Well deserving of the accolades.

So how does everyone else's list stack up? :popcorn:

Flip City is at 15 on Udisc too!!! :eek:

Will Mike K boycott Udisc like he did DGCR? Will Udisc suffer the same sorry fate as DGCR? Will Mike K resurrect DiscGolfScene and save the world from impending doom....:popcorn:

Find out tomorrow. Airing for free, in the Landfill.

"How did you create the rankings?
2023's World's Best Disc Golf Courses rankings are based on a methodology that applies more weight to recent reviews and helps identify which courses with excellent but relatively few ratings are true destinations rather than just local faves. Always interested in improving, we've worked to enhance how well this year's ranking system accounts for the wide range of experience behind disc golfers' course ratings."

Enhanced rankings!

So it appears I've played 29 of the Udisc top 100 thus far. If all goes as planned I'll be adding 7 more this year. Not too shabby.

I've played 12 of the top 25 courses on DGCR. If all goes as planned I'll add 2 more this year.

. . .

So how does everyone else's list stack up? :popcorn:

For me:

27 of the top 100 on UDisc

17 of the top 25 on DGCR

Hoping to add to both lists this year, if spousal unit avoids breaking her leg. Again. :\

I think the two lists are complementary. DGCR's list has more heft, and obviously more comprehensive reviews by which one can evaluate the ratings. But the UDisc list may be quicker (perhaps too quick?) at identifying up-and-coming new courses.

I value both when I am planning bagging trips. Diversity of opinion is a good thing, imo. :thmbup:

I've played 32 of this UDisc 100 and 14 of the top 25 on DGCR.

Agree that diversity of opinion is a good thing, in disc golf and in life. Information is my friend.

Also, insight from people with expertise is my friend, so on this subject, I favor DGCR over UDisc. :)