• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

OK by me. I don't think Muddy Run is better than North Boundary, and the fact Maple Hill wasn't in the top 10 is criminal.

Bottom line is HyooMac wrote a quality review, and rated it as he saw it. Let the averages fall where they may. You can't be concerned what your rating does to a course's average, and overall standings.

It's not like a 4.5, or even a 4.0, is a slap in the face.
I'll take Muddy Run over Nobozo and Maple Hill anyday. None of these are in my personal top 10 at any rate.

I'll take Muddy Run over Nobozo and Maple Hill anyday. None of these are in my personal top 10 at any rate.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. Let's face it: that's essentially what this site is about. ;)

But even if opinions (and ratings) differ, reviews with real content are useful.

Care to share your personal top 10?

Maple Hill is my #1, but I don't have close to the # of courses played as you guys and my bagging has slowed down in recent years so I haven't played many of the new generation top courses.

Care to share your personal top 10?

Maple Hill is my #1, but I don't have close to the # of courses played as you guys and my bagging has slowed down in recent years so I haven't played many of the new generation top courses.
No particular order:
Paw Paw, WV
Frost Valley
Warwick
Hawk Hollow
Lake Marshall
Black Jack
Sugaree
North Calais
Nockamixon
Idlewild
Iffy Holler might be in there.

^Thanks. Idlewild is the only one on your list that I've played and as a pretty average player I don't know where I'd rate it. Glad I experienced it, but I know I'm not the target audience. Pretty much the same for Northwood Black.

Really want to hit North Calais - buddy of mine is a Vermont native who moved to MT and raves about it. Maybe get lucky and loop it into a fall trip out East.

I'm planning to play the Paw Paw courses (finally!) in a couple weeks when I visit Maryland. I'm looking forward to experiencing the road, though I might regret saying that. :)

I'm planning to play the Paw Paw courses (finally!) in a couple weeks when I visit Maryland. I'm looking forward to experiencing the road, though I might regret saying that. :)

It's an easy drive. People who complain haven't done a lot of small town, mountain driving before.

It's an easy drive. People who complain haven't done a lot of small town, mountain driving before.

It may depend on when they last went. The first time I went to Paw Paw, the roads were all gravel and dirt. I returned a few years later with friends and many of the roads had been widened and paved so they were all "what were you complaining about?"

Been to a few back roads, mountain courses. I wouldnt want to drive to Whipping Post Lane in the darl or in snowy conditions.

If they've widened things up since I played five years ago, that's a good thing.

Been to a few back roads, mountain courses. I wouldnt want to drive to Whipping Post Lane in the darl or in snowy conditions.

If they've widened things up since I played five years ago, that's a good thing.

I don't think they have widened anything in the last 5, last mile or 2 still a dirt road. Much better than it was years ago though.

I've found that UDisc users tend to inflate the ratings on pay-to-play courses, especially those that are privately owned. I think this might be in part to wanting to feel the cost was worthwhile and also often having a connection to the owner. For example, in my part of Indiana, right outside Cincinnati, someone built a nice short course on their wooded property. They work really hard on it, host weekly league nights, and are just all around great people. If I rated that course honestly I'd say somewhere between 3.5-4. It's a good course, fun and with a water hazard but it also is short and you worry you'll hit the house at times. It's rated a 4.7 on UDisc because who would want to give a bad rating to such a labor of love?
When you look at Udisc's ratings you'll see the top 13 are all pay-to-play. This can correspond with a better maintained course, but I think it can also artificially inflate ratings because people want the course to be great.

A high percentage of DGCR top-rated courses are also pay-to-play.

As are the top courses on my personal favorites list.

8 of the top 10 and 14 of the top 20 DGCR courses are pay to play as well. I do think these courses tend to be better maintained overall on average, and if the owner is present, just getting to chat with someone who loves disc golf so much that they would install a course on their private land can be worth half a star--its the entire disc golfing round experience, not just the throws in other words. And we all know money isn't the thing--I would venture only a few courses are profitable in any real sense. Not when land costs, clearing, maintenance, equipment, facilities, labor, etc are all taken into account. Private courses are someone's labor of love. For the sport, and the people that play it.

All that said, I appreciate the Idlewilds and Harmony Bends of the world (both in my top 5), it is amazing how well those courses are maintained given they are typically city or county parks.

I'm not dismissing a ratings boost when players meet or personally know the owner -- not so much for top courses, but for lesser courses, where's it's hard to give a bad review.

As for the pay-to-play, I think it's more than just maintenance that elevates them. Private courses have more freedom of design, and often better property to start with. Plus, they can be less crowded, and have less overlap with non-disc-golfers than you encounter on public property.