• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

Not only that but I just don't get his reasoning. How does Lakeside not have a wow factor?

I was not wowed. I have played on courses with much more significant elevation, better views and more difficult lines.

I think you just don't get the concept of subjectiveness. I don't count either of those courses as the best I've played. And they certainly weren't the most fun. They are excellent courses and I rated them as such. On the way home, I played a wooded course, Lake Claiborne State Park, that I would have rated just as high as I rated Lakeside (maybe higher) if it were finished. Unfortunately, it doesn't have tee boxes or tee signs yet and it was much more fun to play than either of the Selah Ranch courses.

Here's my question,are people lowballing top 10 and top 25 courses just to knock them off the lists ? I'm seeing alot of that lately. Brakewell,Harmon Hills,Winter Park...

I find it hard to believe most people really care that much about the Top 10 and 20 list to put that much thought or effort into it. There are just differences of opinion and stupid people out there. :\

I find it hard to believe most people really care that much about the Top 10 and 20 list to put that much thought or effort into it. There are just differences of opinion and stupid people out there. :\

Yea, maybe its subliminal but it seems like some folks want to make the equivalent of a market correction.

I think you're wrong on that front. People are that small minded. You missed the push by the course designers of RL Smith to try to get it rated, or at least the highest rate course in NC, back when it first opened. They would campaign on the local boards for high ratings. I even got a message from one of them criticizing me for "only" giving it a 3.5 because that was hurting its overall rating.

If you get that kind of push for a 4 - 4.25 rating, think about the pushes to get a higher rated course into the actual top-10. Is it any surprise when a course is on the cusp of cracking one of these 'lists' you suddenly get an influx of reviews from newbies?

How can a review be accurate when you only play 2/3 of the course ?

well first: people would just not admit to not having played all of the course. it's an unenforceable rule.

second: and most important. easily. you can get what a course is about without playing every single hole. sometimes a hole or more is out of commission when i play it. im still going to review the course. sometimes you get rained out of a hole or two. still going to review it. the current rule is fine

Maybe I just totally underestimate the lack of lives disc golfers have. That is possible. I won't let it happen again. :D

well first: people would just not admit to not having played all of the course. it's an unenforceable rule.

second: and most important. easily. you can get what a course is about without playing every single hole. sometimes a hole or more is out of commission when i play it. im still going to review the course. sometimes you get rained out of a hole or two. still going to review it. the current rule is fine

I could tell you that a course sucks from playing 2/3 of it, but I could probably not distinguish between a 4-4.5 or a 4.5-5.

Didn't realize Winter Park just pulled a 3 rated review. The line about having to hit 10 inch gaps is just dumb. There MIGHT be two holes that are plinko-ish, but even on those there's lines to hit.

Somewhere, Superberry is having an apoplectic fit.

I understand where you are coming from, even though it is a useful tool to have.

I've played the selahs highbridge and flip city, plus all the Charlotte courses. Quite frankly I personally could not pick between say renny gold and selah lakeside, or blueberry versus flip. It is all subjective, and personally the drop off between say lakeside and even a course such as bud hill aren't that great.

The great thing about it is they are all breath taking and all are a ton of fun. All of them are worth the trip, and great for our sport. There are great courses all over the country, with new ones being built all the time. Top ten, top twenty, top one hundred.. Doesn't matter the great ones will be played, loved, and traveled too! It's a great time to be a discer!

I just went out of my way on a business trip to play one of the top ten course and honestly I didn't think it was really what much better than some of my normally played courses what are rated almost a whole disc lower. I didn't walk away thinking boy I can't wait to get back and play it again.

Yes it was larger (27 holes) with good variety and with multiple pads and pins it would never get boring. But it didn't have significantly better pads, better mantenance, better baskets, etc. But it has been established for a long time and has a lot of reviews.

That's a long lead-in to my question - as the sport has evolved and player expections have changed is it still appropriate to use reviews from 2, 5 or 10 years ago? It would be interesting to see the top 10 based on reviews less than 2 years old.

That's a long lead-in to my question - as the sport has evolved and player expections have changed is it still appropriate to use reviews from 2, 5 or 10 years ago? It would be interesting to see the top 10 based on reviews less than 2 years old.

there is the best courses from reviews this year that gets released each december

With all the questions about "people" purposefully slamming courses to affect their place in the overall ratings, I wonder about "investment" (not sure if that is the right term) and how that plays into reviews. Is someone who took time off from work, spent vacation time and/or good money and went on a cross country trip to one of the highest rated courses in the country really going to give it a rating that isn't at the top? It's like the phenomenon of people who buy the most expensive car or camera or stereo system demanding that it is better than all others just because they are so invested in the idea that it is. Then there is the possibility of some who just want to go along with the crowd and won't rate a course low or high unless others have, and even pairs of players who play multiple courses and rate them identically.

One of the reasons this dawned on me is that I have seen posts from people who have played the Selah courses on road trips who rated both courses, and every other course they played on the road trip, but who also played the Trey Texas Ranch courses but apparently don't want to be the first person to write a review on either course.

Just some thoughts.

I think that can work both ways regarding investment. Some travel to these high rated courses only to find they aren't any or much better than their local course and are disappointed. Often when that occurs it's because their local course is pretty good. I recall an Iron Hill review where the guy said it wasn't worth the 1 hr or so trip from his local course to play there, and his local course happens to be Nockamixon. Well yeah if I had Nockamixon in my backyard I'd be jaded traveling to most places as well, but Iron Hill is still one of the best on the east coast.

Nobody's reviewed Trey because the reviews are disabled until it's finished.

One of the reasons this dawned on me is that I have seen posts from people who have played the Selah courses on road trips who rated both courses, and every other course they played on the road trip, but who also played the Trey Texas Ranch courses but apparently don't want to be the first person to write a review on either course.

Just some thoughts.

Selah didn't compel me to write a review but the Trey Ranch courses would have. They are not cleared for review. Justifiably so...there is still some clearing needed.
When back in Texas, I will consider the Trey courses a higher priority to the Selah courses.
As for folks being invested, that goes both ways. Nothing more disappointing than traveling for a course that fails to meet expectations.

Is someone who took time off from work, spent vacation time and/or good money and went on a cross country trip to one of the highest rated courses in the country really going to give it a rating that isn't at the top?
Interesting point, but it doesn't have to be cross country to be an "investment" with current gas prices and such, it could just be across a big state.

Last edited:
I think that can work both ways regarding investment. Some travel to these high rated courses only to find they aren't any or much better than their local course and are disappointed. Often when that occurs it's because their local course is pretty good.
With each new course I play, my home course(s) get better and better. Especially after playing Selah.

I wish I had made it to Selah when I was in DWF a few years ago so I could see for myself what all the hoopla is about, but it was brand spanking new and didn't have any reviews yet. Just looking at the pics I can't imagine myself giving it a 5 due to the terrain or lack there off, and I also don't like a lot of water.

I've traveled a few times and nothing seems to top the options I have within 30 seconds to 30 minutes of my bed so I get the concept of coming all this way for what?