• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

Sneaking up.....Langley Pond, at 19 reviews and 4.71.

Looks to be another Top 10 Bubble Course.

Heck, I know someone whose two designs are rated 4.40 and 1.17. The land and circumstances have a lot to do with it.

I totally agree with you David. A friend of mine (also David) has 2 courses in public parks rated 2.0 and 3.74. The private course at his home is a solid 4+. The land available and how well the course is maintained makes a big impact on the experience.

As a somewhat local to both courses, (NH, about 2 hours from each) I never thought I'd see Sabattus ahead of Maple Hill. Both are astounding courses but I would have thought it would take more than one bad review on Maple to swap them. A few more 5 star reviews and Sabattus could be a top 10 contender.

Harmony Bends is bound to crack top 10... currently at 4.88 with 17 reviews.
Avg rating of the four TR's = 5.0

While ratings themselves are somewhat arbitrary, one thing isn't arbitrary: cracking into DGCR's Top 10 funnels a lot of traffic a courses way... and not just the usual suspects in the forum or the DGCR course baggers.

For every member who posts, there are probably 5-10 members who seldom (if ever) post.
And for every member, there are loads more lurkers, who use the site as a resource without joining.

Warts and all, DGCR is regarded as the best place to find out where to play and seek out "Destination Disc Golf."
The top 10 get visited.

Last edited:
Sneaking up.....Langley Pond, at 19 reviews and 4.71.

Looks to be another Top 10 Bubble Course.

Well, I must be honest, your post was the final kick in the pants I needed to review Langley. I've played it off and on since it opened and I was back home, so I definitely feel like I have a good handle on it. I really do wish the course rating system here went in increments of 0.25, as it's definitely worth more than 4.5 discs, but I'm not totally sure about 5 discs. However, as that's closer to what I feel like I would rate it given the opportunity to enter whatever number between 0 and 5 I wanted, I went with 5. That now has it tied with Highbridge Gold, and so oughta bump BRP

Thanks for fulfilling my prophecy.

To be honest, I'm not as enamored by Langley Pond as everyone else seems to be---and by everyone else, I don't just mean the 21 reviewers here. A number of Columbians are regularly making the hour+ run down there to play it. I chalk it up to different tastes, or perhaps the rough day I had there. (Not scorewise---all of my rounds are below my average, if that's possible---but I was injured, and playing tees that weren't appropriate for what's left of my skill level.)

But it is very good, and should be tacked on to any Augusta pilgrimages.

I can see that, especially in the earlier days when it wasn't beaten in at all; it's getting better and better, and honestly, so am I (however incremental that may be), so I think that helps me appreciate it more. If you get a chance it might be worth going back again to check out, especially with some of the shorter tees mixed in.

I'm definitely going to return, and hopefully play a round from the shorts as well as the longs. It'll be cooler when the pond gets up, though I understand that may be a while yet.

I didn't review it for precisely this reason. Some courses I feel comfortable reviewing after 1 play. Langley, I need to see it again, and under better conditions.

I haven't heard much about it lately but I assume they have gotten their bids and hopefully are in the process of getting work started, if they haven't already. The good news is the county used to make a lot of money off the Pond so there is good motivation to rebuild the dam, it's just going slowly.

I'm definitely doing Augusta in the fall. So many courses worth the trip.

I'll be playing Harmony Bends this weekend and review #18 for the course will follow quickly behind. Really thrilled that Missouri has a course that is being so highly thought of. Ozark Mountain is a great experience but can never hold a candle to the top courses when amenities factor into the experience and nothing else I have played in the state favorably compares to the elite courses I've played. I've played 5 of the current top 10 courses and I am looking forward to seeing what Mr. Houck has cooked up with this one.

Ozark Mountain is a great experience but can never hold a candle to the top courses when amenities factor into the experience.

i completely disagree. sure the tees are $hit and there are no tee signs but the courses speak for themselves. you're obviously going to use a map and chances are if you are there playing the courses, it's during a tournament and you will have people to ask where to go and a group ahead of you to follow. plus camping on site.

the uneven tees and general level of maintenance are the only real problems. everything else is forgivable. amenities are fun but i play disc golf for the disc golf, not for the carts at Selah or the snack shack at BRP or the woodchipped greens at Visionquest, or bag hooks or brooms on each pad or whatever.

i completely disagree. sure the tees are $hit and there are no tee signs but the courses speak for themselves. you're obviously going to use a map and chances are if you are there playing the courses, it's during a tournament and you will have people to ask where to go and a group ahead of you to follow. plus camping on site.

the uneven tees and general level of maintenance are the only real problems. everything else is forgivable.
I tried to play the courses at Ozark the day before I played Harmony Bends.... they were completely overgrown and not playable... played 3 holes and realized it was sheer futility... and I've played some pretty rough courses. I specifically called the guy listed on the course page, and he said the "grass will be long, but they'll be playable." Fairways with 2 ft tall grass I can handle... it was like a jungle (and tick infested, to boot). Pissed me off, too, because I would've played a few courses in St. Louis had I not been misled.

You can definitely see how the golf there could be outstanding if the course was in halfway decent shape, but from what I gather, they only get things in shape a few times a year for tourneys and such. The way I see it, they should honestly be listed as temp courses. I mean, how many rounds a year do people really play out there?

I don't really understand what you are disagreeing with about my statement...I specifically said it was a great experience but when amenities factor in it can't hold a candle to the top courses. One of the things that establishes something as a top course is amenities. They are top because they generally execute most all elements of the course well. You can easily dismiss teepads and signage, but to most, those aren't even amenities...those are assumed. That isn't even getting into the amenities like benches and trashcans and restrooms on site, etc. I shouldn't have to play in a tournament to keep from getting lost on a course if it is a top course. I have played Ozark Mountain at least 5 times and it is incredibly fun and challenging...plus really well designed, but unfortunately, that will never be enough to be a top 25 course.

Not to speak for dreadlock, but...

While the two of you agree about tee signs and general maintenance, I think the reason he disagrees with you is that fundamentally, the two of you seem to value amenities on completely different levels:

I specifically said it was a great experience but when amenities factor in it can't hold a candle to the top courses. One of the things that establishes something as a top course is amenities.

amenities are fun but i play disc golf for the disc golf, not for the carts at Selah or the snack shack at BRP or the woodchipped greens at Visionquest, or bag hooks or brooms on each pad or whatever.

Last edited:
I'll be playing Harmony Bends this weekend and review #18 for the course will follow quickly behind. Really thrilled that Missouri has a course that is being so highly thought of. Ozark Mountain is a great experience but can never hold a candle to the top courses when amenities factor into the experience and nothing else I have played in the state favorably compares to the elite courses I've played. I've played 5 of the current top 10 courses and I am looking forward to seeing what Mr. Houck has cooked up with this one.

I played Harmony Bends a few weeks ago and found it to be everything one would hope and more. It was firmly the best course I've ever played, and that is saying quite a lot. Got a stack of reviews to write piling up, but I'll get to it.

I played Harmony Bends a few weeks ago and found it to be everything one would hope and more. It was firmly the best course I've ever played, and that is saying quite a lot. Got a stack of reviews to write piling up, but I'll get to it.

That's really exciting to hear! Get that review up and it will be that much closer to cracking the top 10!

Not to speak for dreadlock, but...

While the two of you agree about tee signs and general maintenance, I think the reason he disagrees with you is that fundamentally, the two of you seem to value amenities on completely different levels:

I get it...but my point is, you can't casually dismiss non-existent tees and signage when you are considering the top of the top courses and I think that plays itself out when you see what courses are in the top 25. That being said, Ozark (when groomed) is an experience worth having for any DGer.

Looking forward to reading your review.

Latest posts