• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

I saw the post about it happening in the CDG page. I'm planning on being there unless things with my pop get worse.

Awesome. I'm looking forward to meeting a lot of people in person who I've only interacted with through a computer/phone.

I don't know what's going on with your pops but I hope it all works out.

I paid for four spots and had the place to myself. It was 100% worth it

We get out to CO every couple years since my wife's grandma lives out there. Bucksnort may be a bit tougher/impossible to play now but I'm sure I'll squeeze a round in at Phantom sometime.

anyone see the new review slamming the owners of Beaver Ranch? any locals have any input?

one thing that struck me as odd is that he says the course is on public land but it has owners... what the deal with that?

I saw it and pondered the same thing. owners on public land? that makes no sense. What are they smoking up there.

anyone see the new review slamming the owners of Beaver Ranch? any locals have any input?

one thing that struck me as odd is that he says the course is on public land but it has owners... what the deal with that?

Just to save people time - here's that BR review:

Other Thoughts: I can't say enough good things about the course itself, though I won't, because every other review had enumerated these qualities. This review concerns the new owners, of a course on Public Land, and their total abandonment of the local club and community that made BR possible. They have not only decided to turn their backs on us, deciding to not support our biggest tournament, The Bloom, but have chosen to lie about the reasons why. This person would not have control of such a beautiful course without the hundreds upon hundreds of volunteer hours, donated money and baskets, and goodwill of an amazing local club. And yet, when tasked with continuing to support the club, they have ignored us and chosen to disseminate false information as to why. Be sure, they care only about how much money they can extract from their patrons ($12/day?? Haha!) And not at all about being good stewards of a beautiful course, nor about being a contributing member of the community.
I urge everyone and anyone thinking of playing here to drive a little further to the Bailey DGC to play a better, more challenging, cheaper course, supported by good people who support the local community and Foothill Flyers. On top of that, rather than spend your money at BR, consider attending a Foothill Flyers tag match that will likely take place at one of many private courses in the area, owned by people who also care about your experience more than they do about trading your money.
It's a sad state of affairs that this great course has fallen into the hands of greedy, lying, untrustworthy owners, but that's the reality. Please vote with your wallets and go elsewhere. New ownership is needed, and stat.

My guess, and it is just that, is that there is some type of concession agreement with a third-party to actually operate the course for the public entity. When I played there they had a decent little pro shop, some food, an attendant who collected fees, etc. I doubt that was a public employee.

Perhaps the concessionaire has changed recently?

The current situation regarding Beaver Ranch is pretty ugly here. You can hit up their FB page for details, but pretty much the entire disc golf community in Colorado is boycotting the course. Hopefully the non-disc golfing "owner" will sell it soon, it's a great course in the wrong hands.

TOTAL SUXXORZ: When a great course turns into an ugly situation.
All I can say is... I hope this works out somewhere down the road. :(

FWIW-

Here is what the Beaver Ranch Facebook page posted on Sunday:

Beaver Ranch Disc Golf Course's mission is to provide the public with the most enjoyable mountain Disc Golf that the United States has to offer. Most of you are unfamiliar with the backend work that goes into keeping this incredible course operational, as well as the financial obligations that must be met in order for the course to exist. Fall of 2016, the Beaver Ranch Disc Golf Course was on the razors edge of being shut down due to insufficient gross income and the lack of stewardship with the land. Current management has worked hard to create a sustainable business model and a responsible land stewardship approach. A small number of you have expressed your concern for the changes, in truth these changes are what was necessary to keep the course operational for many years to come. The reality of any healthy business is that there are financial responsibilities that need to take priority in order for any sort of longevity to exist. Although we are grateful for the volunteer work provided to establish the course roughly 10 years ago, we simply can not take a substantial financial loss in what is one of the busiest weekends of the year in our seasonal business. A small few have represented themselves and their respectable club in a very poor light by posting violent and hateful comments. We do appreciate constructive criticism, however any comments deemed hateful or nonconstructive will be deleted. We are committed to our stated mission, and are excited more than ever to offer up the best course experience possible. Thank you for all of the fantastic support through the years.

-B.R.D.G.C.

This story needs it's own thread. It certainly looks like it could carry one, on its own.

There seems to be an increase in entitlement among disc golfers when pay to play is involved, that in my opinion is unhealthy. Disc golfers have no clue what it takes to install and maintain a course, year in and year out. If you volunteer, great, but that does not buy carte blanche access forever. At some point, a course needs to pay for itself.
So, go ahead and slam HighBridge, Maple Hill,Black Falls,Paw Paw, Bucksnort,Sugaree... Private course owners can only take so much, before they throw in the towel.

Last edited:
going back to the subject of movement in the top ten (25). Beaver Ranch has gotten the boot, for now, and Fairfield in IL now rounds out the top 25.

Fairfield looks like a great course from what I've read. It's been on my wish list for awhile now, and I think I may be able to hit this one when I travel to Wisco later this summer.

Well put Mando. We had to change our policy this past fall . In late October the course was severely damaged by 100mph winds. The estimated cost of cleanup has been in the 10's of thousands of dollars. We now require a tee time and $10 fee to play the course. Kids under 10 play for free. The other day someone stole our sign and destroyed our information sign. This was at the top of the driveway, course enterance where there is a locked gate.

We have had many unsavory people in the past visit the course. Baskets have been stolen and other damages to my property have been caused by disc golfers. We are hoping that the new policy will help weed out some of the bad.

going back to the subject of movement in the top ten (25). Beaver Ranch has gotten the boot, for now, and Fairfield in IL now rounds out the top 25.

Fairfield looks like a great course from what I've read. It's been on my wish list for awhile now, and I think I may be able to hit this one when I travel to Wisco later this summer.

Fairfield is damn fun. Silver Fox (and Grey Fox to a lesser extent) is somewhat close and is phenomenal as well.

Well put Mando. We had to change our policy this past fall . In late October the course was severely damaged by 100mph winds. The estimated cost of cleanup has been in the 10's of thousands of dollars. We now require a tee time and $10 fee to play the course. Kids under 10 play for free. The other day someone stole our sign and destroyed our information sign. This was at the top of the driveway, course enterance where there is a locked gate.

We have had many unsavory people in the past visit the course. Baskets have been stolen and other damages to my property have been caused by disc golfers. We are hoping that the new policy will help weed out some of the bad.

Wow. I "niced" your post, in appreciation of it, but realized that "nice" wasn't exactly appropriate.

The respect for private course, or in some cases lack of it, certainly has a bearing on the Top 10---with so many of the top 10 or 25 courses being private. This is not the first time we've seen a highly-rated course bashed over a personal matter.

Lol! No worries Dave. We had a pretty interesting discussion on the Black Falls Facebook page after the latest vandalism incident. One person commented that since we charge so much money we shouldn't have a problem paying for the damages. I have no filter anymore which can get me into trouble, just like the thread I started last summer after someone rated the course a 1.5. In the end I have to remind myself that I do this for my family and for the many decent people in the DG community.

Last edited:
Sounds eerily similar to the demise of the original Bracketts Bluff.

Almost happened to Browns Farm in Western New York, the state was claiming the land was to be used for Agriculture only when the guy who bought it from the original owners was trying to update the baskets for a proper not homemade disc golf baskets. Enough of the Disc Golf community helped save the course, however the guy is trying to keep the course exactly how it was when he bought it to the exact detail besides getting new disc golf baskets. Sad as it needed a bit of trimming when bought from the Original Owners. My uncle tried fixing Browns Farm to what it was a few years before the Original Owners stopped taking care of it, while trying to sell the Property. Now there are 2 courses On New York State Park land closer to where my relatives live then that 35 minute drive. Better courses too.

Number 10 on the list (Hawk Hollow) is now closed for the summer. It was scheduled to close in a couple weeks but big storms Monday night expedited the process. Will reopen late August/early September.

There seems to be an increase in entitlement among disc golfers when pay to play is involved, that in my opinion is unhealthy. Disc golfers have no clue what it takes to install and maintain a course, year in and year out. If you volunteer, great, but that does not buy carte blanche access forever. At some point, a course needs to pay for itself.
So, go ahead and slam HighBridge, Maple Hill,Black Falls,Paw Paw, Bucksnort,Sugaree... Private course owners can only take so much, before they throw in the towel.

I think there is a misunderstanding here. From what I hear, the local club put in the thousands of hours of course work over a decade. Someone new takes over and doesn't allow said local club to hold annual tourney there. This and charging more and making other administrative changes, etc. That may be why the locals are pissed.
This is hearsay from 1,000 miles away, so take it however you want.

This topic really needs its own thread.