• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

its 21 reviews for to make the world rankings list and 11 reviews for state rankings

This, yeah. Or at least, I'm personally certain of the 11 for state rankings. I wrote the 11th review of several courses now that then appeared in the state rankings after.

Last edited:
It's a nice review - very good overview of what makes Harmon Hills so enjoyable, with nuance about what it isn't.

Shoutout to Pmay5 for their first crack at a top-10 course, and for their review of Harmon Hills.

Thanks to both of you. It took me this long to figure out where I wanted to go with this review. :D Also, following thrembo's advice that the highest rated courses get the most votes. :thmbup:

Nice work pmay.
... the highest rated courses get the most votes.
Probs why mndiscg took so long to reach diamond. Dude did yeoman's work reviewing courses hardly anyone else made it out to.

Saw you were disappointed you couldn't purchase a Harmon Hills shirt. I also like to buy shirts as a memento of really special courses and as small attempt to help support the course owners' fundraising efforts. I was fortunate enough to add a Jerry Harmon Memorial tourney dri-fit with an HH logo on the back to my collection when I visited.

Hopefully Agape Farm opens sometime next summer.

I've been in touch with them lately, and summer 2023 is now the goal. They have been able to find some additional manpower and maybe some additional funding (but they certainly could use help on both those fronts). In any case, the reports have been encouraging, and I hope to visit in December to see where we are. It will be one of my all-time favorites. Tremendous property.

recently made the trek from mpls/stp to baltimore md so ill provide some highlights and lowlights

highlights

nobo was a true beast of a course with all the elevation and trees and even how wide the fairways were i looooved this course even if its designed for folks far beyond my skill level its a new era top 10 course (like with northwood black)

whippin post was a great woods play and woodshed was kinda boring but made up for it in the views (we made a few wrong turns and ended up past a cemetery and far down a really rough dirt road to the point where we feared for our safety as the neighbors made it clear we were in the wrong area)

lake marshall lions is another contender for new era top 10 however again my skill level had no business being there and i liked the lair better cuz i love my woods

seneca was perfect for my skill level and almost every hole was wooded enough (trees in fairways)

lowlights

muddy run is no where near a top 10 or top 25 or even top 100 course its amazingly just a step above average

moraine state park is also not top 25 worthy and was clogged up by a bunch of families (let that one sink in)

i didnt get to play deer lakes as they had a tourney

stafford woods in nj plays like a western mi coast course and would be a 3/5 there

freedom center ironically has the most rules posted ive seen in a while (loved the course tho)

moser park in fort wayne indiana had some bullet holes in a few signs and cameras and bunch of signs saying dont leave anything valuable which didnt lead to a welcoming experience

lastly redeemer in wv is a fantastic example of ambition far exceeding course design skill

recently made the trek from mpls/stp to baltimore md so ill provide some highlights and lowlights

highlights

nobo was a true beast of a course with all the elevation and trees and even how wide the fairways were i looooved this course even if its designed for folks far beyond my skill level its a new era top 10 course (like with northwood black)

whippin post was a great woods play and woodshed was kinda boring but made up for it in the views (we made a few wrong turns and ended up past a cemetery and far down a really rough dirt road to the point where we feared for our safety as the neighbors made it clear we were in the wrong area)

lake marshall lions is another contender for new era top 10 however again my skill level had no business being there and i liked the lair better cuz i love my woods

seneca was perfect for my skill level and almost every hole was wooded enough (trees in fairways)

lowlights

muddy run is no where near a top 10 or top 25 or even top 100 course its amazingly just a step above average

moraine state park is also not top 25 worthy and was clogged up by a bunch of families (let that one sink in)

stafford woods in nj plays like a western mi coast course and would be a 3/5 there

freedom center ironically has the most rules posted ive seen in a while (loved the course tho)

moser park in fort wayne indiana had some bullet holes in a few signs and cameras and bunch of signs saying dont leave anything valuable which didnt lead to a welcoming experience

lastly redeemer in wv is a fantastic example of ambition far exceeding course design skill

what do you consider the top ten that you've played. I want to make sure i have them all wishlisted.

nobo was a true beast of a course
whippin post was a great woods play and woodshed was kinda boring
seneca was perfect for my skill level and almost every hole was wooded enough
muddy run is nowhere near a top 10 or top 25 or even top 100 course
moraine state park is also not top 25 worthy
freedom center ironically has the most rules posted (loved the course tho)

Interesting. I only quoted the abridged comments for courses which I have played. Seneca is my home course so I can't be objective about that. I like Whipping Post and Woodshed equally (only played them 4 or 5 times). North Boundary is beautiful and way too difficult for me in the longs. I love Freedom Center but have only played it 4 times. I love Moraine and prefer it slightly to Deer Lakes. They are very different experiences. The most interesting is Muddy Run. I have only played it twice but both times came away saying "Meh.....". The tee signs are beautiful and the course is well laid out. But to me it only has a couple of memorable holes - not enough to make me want to drive 2-3 hours to get to it. Did not review it because I didn't want to annoy the locals.

Interesting. I only quoted the abridged comments for courses which I have played. Seneca is my home course so I can't be objective about that. I like Whipping Post and Woodshed equally (only played them 4 or 5 times). North Boundary is beautiful and way too difficult for me in the longs. I love Freedom Center but have only played it 4 times. I love Moraine and prefer it slightly to Deer Lakes. They are very different experiences. The most interesting is Muddy Run. I have only played it twice but both times came away saying "Meh.....". The tee signs are beautiful and the course is well laid out. But to me it only has a couple of memorable holes - not enough to make me want to drive 2-3 hours to get to it. Did not review it because I didn't want to annoy the locals.
Recently played Muddy Run, and while I think it's a damned good course, IMHO, NoBo, Moraine, Deer Lakes, and Faylor Lake all have it beat.

I'd give Muddy a 4.0.
Top 10 in the state? Maybe... but def not the best in the state. Gimme NoBo.

Maple Hill not in Top 10 is a crying shame.
Just my $.02.

Last edited:
I mostly agree with all of this having played all of those courses. Muddy run is a fine course. 4.0-4.25 with very soft pars, but the boring holes are too many and too boring to outweigh the good holes. None of which are truly wow. But lions and nobo are truly made from a different cut and well surpass most other courses. Along with Smugglers, Maple Hill, and Caliber IMHO. Hard to think of a better top 5, though I do have a handful of other courses that try to make their way into my mind.

I mostly agree with all of this having played all of those courses. Muddy run is a fine course. 4.0-4.25 with very soft pars, but the boring holes are too many and too boring to outweigh the good holes. None of which are truly wow. But lions and nobo are truly made from a different cut and well surpass most other courses. Along with Smugglers, Maple Hill, and Caliber IMHO. Hard to think of a better top 5, though I do have a handful of other courses that try to make their way into my mind.

Glad you like Lions- I just got home from finishing up the course prep there for this weekend. It is going to look great on camera and I can't wait for people all over to have the chance to see it.

Glad you like Lions- I just got home from finishing up the course prep there for this weekend. It is going to look great on camera and I can't wait for people all over to have the chance to see it.

Will you be providing post pro links here? Yes I hope...

Also recently played Nobo, Pawpaw (got lost as well), Lake Marshall, Moraine, Stafford Woods, and Muddy Run. Agree with a lot you say but I think I liked Moraine a little more than you. It might have helped that I was there early on a weekday and had the course to myself. I would also agree that Muddy Run isn't top 10 but I wouldn't argue with someone if they thought it was a top 25.

Also played Idlewild and Harmony Bends on the back end of my trip. Holy cow Idlewild is overrated.

Also, Iron Hill is great. Doesn't deserve the bad rep of too many unfair trees.

highlights

lowlights

Also recently played Nobo, Pawpaw (got lost as well), Lake Marshall, Moraine, Stafford Woods, and Muddy Run. Agree with a lot you say but I think I liked Moraine a little more than you. It might have helped that I was there early on a weekday and had the course to myself. I would also agree that Muddy Run isn't top 10 but I wouldn't argue with someone if they thought it was a top 25.

Also played Idlewild and Harmony Bends on the back end of my trip. Holy cow Idlewild is overrated.

Also, Iron Hill is great. Doesn't deserve the bad rep of too many unfair trees.

haha thats funny

i was surprised at moraine by the family vibe and i agree i might feel differently if i didnt go when it was slammed on a saturday afternoon (which is completely my fault)

why did you think idlewild is overrated

i thought iron hill was great too and had a few great pin placements too (course is pretty long tho which wears on the arm especially for noodles like myself) and i personally loved the rocks in the fairways