• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Moving away from Innova

Ricochet62

I've about had enough of the Innova confusion with too many discs to tinker with. Not to mention the fact that a company as big and (supposedly) innovative as Innova, why are the still using apen to mark the weight on their discs when other smaller companies actually stamp the disk?? C'mon man, for the price their charging?? a PEN?? Really??

I guess you can blame the Trilogy Challenge for the decision to move away from Innova...

I've picked up a couple of Dynamic/Lat64 disks and find they work better for me. So I am moving to DD/Lat64/Westside.

So far...
Roc3 replaced by a Fugitive
Beast replaced with a Hatchet
Roc replaced with a Truth
Aviar replaced with a Gauntlet Zero Megasoft
Starfire replace by Falchion

Still using:
MVP proton Relay
MVP Proton Vector
MVP Proton soft ION

Now, for the $1,000,000 question... Which DD/Lat64/Westside most closely matches the Sidewinder???

I'd say probably a Fury or a Witness. At least until your Hatchet beats into that spot. Any others that you need to replace?

Westside Sampo or Longbowman or Latitude Saint Pro or Culverin or a Dynamic Convict

Now, for the $1,000,000 question... Which DD/Lat64/Westside most closely matches the Sidewinder???

I would guess a Saint, maybe a River. The Sidewinder is one of those molds that can vary a lot in flight.

You are going to get a lot of suggestions, but more than likely, but not a guarantee, you are going to find yourself several years down the road slowly gravitating back toward Innova because of their core selection of discs.

When I started I was all Innova because that was all that WalMart carried at the time. I knew of the internet, but I did not even fathom the possibility that there could be online retailers. Eventually Scheels carried some Discraft, and I thought I would go that route because no one I knew threw Discraft and I could be a smaller market snob.

Time and knowledge led myself into using a mixed bag and buying into the philosophy that there is life and lower scores beyond Innova. Sponsorship is never going to happen, so who cares? Still, I quickly migrated over to Trilogy because of my Swedish heritage. Lets support the homeland, even though I am only 1/4 Swedish. That lasted for a year until Dynamic specifically started making some really good discs; the Truth, Warden, and the Trespass.

Yet through it all, I kept finding myself pulling out some old, seasoned discs and remembering how good they used to throw. I kept trying to find a replacement for my PFN TeeBirds, but I always gravitated back to them. Eventually Gazelles and Thunderbirds also became staples in my bag. I am even flipping back and forth between Wraiths and DDXs. If I do feel like pulling out the TeeBirds and or Gazelles, I experiment with a mixture of Leopard3s and FDs. The Truth and Pures are still in my bag, and from my storage bins I will not part with my Trespasses, Swords, and Halos just in case, but with my feeling that at my level that Verdicts and Harps are almost interchangeable with Hornets and Zones, my bag is again leaning heavily toward Innova and Discmania.

Wow

Switching companies bc of a pen

I found this part of the post curious, also. And I never knew Lat stamps the weight on the disc. That seems like a lot of trouble. Did they just start doing that, because my Visions, and Trident were not stamped.

I found this part of the post curious, also. And I never knew Lat stamps the weight on the disc. That seems like a lot of trouble. Did they just start doing that, because my Visions, and Trident were not stamped.

Fugitive, Truth and Hatchet...

Attachments

• Fugitive-1a.jpg
    Fugitive-1a.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Hatchet-1b.jpg
    Hatchet-1b.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Truth-1a.jpg
    Truth-1a.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 33

They've stamped them as long as I can recall, but yea.. it's sort of a ridiculous (I'd have to dump every disk I use almost) reason IMO, but it ain't my bag so...

Now that said, the Diamond is in no way like a Teebird.. except a Teebird that is completely and utterly beat (and I do bag those, because they are also useful). Probably a Stag is closer.

They've stamped them as long as I can recall, but yea.. it's sort of a ridiculous (I'd have to dump every disk I use almost) reason IMO, but it ain't my bag so...

Pretty much what I did... but hey, the addiction is strong so buying a new disc isn't an issue... :p And my average score has dropped 3-5 throws on 18. being that I can't turn/twist/spin on my right ankle at all without it reminding me it's been surgically reconstructed, twice!! I get no real distance from the tee pad. But at least when sifting through a used bin, I can Identify a DD/Lat64/Westside without having to jump through 60,000 hoops and the good Lord only knows how many "it's probably a xxxx" guesses...

Now that said, the Diamond is in no way like a Teebird.. except a Teebird that is completely and utterly beat (and I do bag those, because they are also useful). Probably a Stag is closer.

Never said the Diamond was a teebird. Just said it replaced it. Frankly, the teebird doesn't work for me, it constantly literally dumps right on me after about 100-125' I hate it, I've tried three different weights and plastics... as far as I'm concerned, they're picnic plates... :gross: But I can throw a Sidewinder very well. The Diamond works for me... :\ (until I find a better option)

teebird a picnic plate?

the golden rule about disc golf discs is that no matter what the brand, if you finally find something you love, know inside and out, and throw well you research the exact run it is and buy multiples. if you can find current stuff that works all the better (easy to find and cheaper).

it doesn't have to be 20 of the same disc but having a couple backups will last you multiple seasons.

first run nukes are different from current nukes, truths vary as much as rocs, there are rabid collectors of certain runs of cannons.

the golden rule about disc golf discs is that no matter what the brand, if you finally find something you love, know inside and out, and throw well you research the exact run it is and buy multiples. if you can find current stuff that works all the better (easy to find and cheaper).
it doesn't have to be 20 of the same disc but having a couple backups will last you multiple seasons.

Generally true. However, the flip side of that coin is to not buy too many backups until one is SURE that the disc is one of "the ones" for the bag. I have a ton of Roc3s and a ton of Valkyries... then later I found better discs to replace them.

Now I have two of each disc in my core bag (except Wardens; I got a bunch of those to do heavy putting practice with), and I rotate them monthly. I might have a few extra TLs and Rivers to practice with, of course. ;)

Pretty much what I did... but hey, the addiction is strong so buying a new disc isn't an issue... :p And my average score has dropped 3-5 throws on 18. being that I can't turn/twist/spin on my right ankle at all without it reminding me it's been surgically reconstructed, twice!! I get no real distance from the tee pad. But at least when sifting through a used bin, I can Identify a DD/Lat64/Westside without having to jump through 60,000 hoops and the good Lord only knows how many "it's probably a xxxx" guesses...

Never said the Diamond was a teebird. Just said it replaced it. Frankly, the teebird doesn't work for me, it constantly literally dumps right on me after about 100-125' I hate it, I've tried three different weights and plastics... as far as I'm concerned, they're picnic plates... :gross: But I can throw a Sidewinder very well. The Diamond works for me... :\ (until I find a better option)

You should try a Jade as well then, seems to me to be a slightly beat Valk

Someone mentioned the Witness as a counterpart to a Sidewinder. I have a (champ) Sidewinder, a (Lucid) Witness, and a (Champ) Leopard, and the Witness slots almost exactly between the Leopard and Sidewinder. I wouldn't call it equivalent. Still love mine, though.

Latest posts