• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Moving For Disc Golf

Uh, I actually DO play 12 months out of the year, and I live in Wisconsin. Grow a pair and come play some real winter rounds.

Ok well if you really enjoy playing in those conditions then please continue to do so.

I lived in Ohio for 1 year and trust me, I DID play in the snow in below 0 weather with a foot of snow on the ground. I just would RATHER play in shorts all the time if I can. If I can't, then I'll deal but I thought the post was about the optimal place to move for DG only. Not about who's got BIG NUTZ :rolleyes:

Texas gets a really bad wrap due to stereotypes.
I think a lot of you that haven't been to Texas would be shocked to see what it is really like.
There are a lot of great places here.

This thread has turned out better than I ever imagined it would.

So I am origionally from Colorado and began playing disc golf there this past September. I moved to So Cal where I did seven years of school after picking up the game and am living minutes away from La Mirada, which is a fun course to play consistently. I played in New Mexico and Arizona on my move out.

So from experience, my favorite courses will always be Colorado mountain courses, Yeah Beaver Ranch!

The So Cal disc golf scene is good but it very much has a So Cal attitude about it.

Outside of Cedar Point, I am not a fan of the state of Ohio. I have family in Michigan and believe you and me I like the place but would rather not move there. I have family in Georgia and Florida as well and have enjoyed visiting both places.

So based on what I am hearing, my top three options at this point in no particular order are:

Charlotte, NC
Augusta, GA
Austin, TX

What am I missing and what would your thoughts on this list?

Texas! I just did a quick search for a good place to rock during spring break and I may be crazy but Dallas/Ft. Worth looks like they have a lot of quality in their quantity. Austin rocks for sure, big scene, lots of people at every course. Houston looks just as good as Dallas just by searching the map page.

Last edited:
When I read the post my first thing that came to my mind was Charlotte, and for obvious reasons already stated by several others. But, I also thought Augusta, Ga. It has several VERY good courses, and the IDGC which has courses on there as well. <After all the PDGA is located in Augusta>. You can golf all year long there, gets hot in summer but not unbearable. And they have all sorts of tourneys, doubles events, etc... going on ALL the time. I'm fortunate enough to be right in between Augusta & Charlotte. So when I want a weekend road trip, I'm just an hour away from either of these 2 disc golf havens. Haven't played all the Augusta courses, or the Charlotte courses yet, but there are so many in each that it's hard to get them all in!

As an afterthought.....the best thing about living in the Carolinas.....if it gets too warm during the summer...you can drive to the beaches and play some courses along the way over or back...OR...Just go to the mountains in Western NC, and play some awesome courses there...Asheville comes to mind!

As an afterthought.....the best thing about living in the Carolinas.....if it gets too warm during the summer...you can drive to the beaches and play some courses along the way over or back...OR...Just go to the mountains in Western NC, and play some awesome courses there...Asheville comes to mind!
comes to my mind a lot :D

In the course browser enter zip code 21043 (slightly southwest of Baltimore) and you'll find 29 courses listed, encompassing much of Maryland, Northern Virginia, and a bit into Pennsylvania. Highlights (courses currently rated 4 or higher) include:

Seneca: 27 holes (three 9-holes), with minor elevation change and trees (but not too much) on every hole, and most drives requiring some type of non-straight flight path.

Patapsco: Over 9200' when played from the blue tees to the C-positions, in a beautiful state park filled with deer.

Rockburn: Quite the variety here, as you play up/down/around hills, through woods, across a small creek, in another state park on the site of a former farm.

Druid: 27 holes (although I haven't played the nine X-holes), next to Baltimore Zoo on ground of former arboretum. Gently rolling landscape, making good use of scattered trees, permanent teepads.

Codorus Blue: State park in Pennsylvania, when combined with the Red course, offers you 54 holes of disc golf pleasure, with open shots, wooded shots, multiple tee locations, and a lake serving as the background on many holes.

Giles Run (NoVa) and Whispering Falls (PA): Haven't played yet, so won't comment.

Other courses, not as highly rated, still offer fun and challenges:

Calvert: Flat, short, plays underneath and about very large trees, very beginner friendly.

Heritage Farm Park/Woodsboro: Only three miles apart. HFP is a very well maked, mostly flat, mostly grip-n-rip course. W'boro is only 9 holes (room to expand to 18), but offers a variety of shots as it winds its way up, then down, a decent-sized hill.

Pine Grove: Amazing what you can do with the land between a middle school's athletic fields, and a rim of sparse woods surrounding the school's property. Make sure you take either a local player, or the map/course description available online, otherwise you'll find it difficult to navigate.

I've played a number of the other Maryland courses, and enjoy them for different reasons. If you aren't moving here, at least plan a trip! :)

Either Northern Kentucky, or just a little south of Bowling Green, Kentucky.
The Cincy area has many, many courses as well as a few GREAT ones, BG has a few and is close enough to Nashville, and would still have friends and family in E-town for Freeman Lake.

I live in TN and play in BG all the time, tons of courses, most are pretty good.
I have taken two DG trips to N.KY/Cincy- many top tier courses.
Both have a great store to buy discs as well. (Disc N Dat in N.Ky and Nats in BG)

Those two areas are great for density of courses.

Bowling Green is a nice size college town, not too big or small, maybe I will retire there and play disc golf all day.

Charlotte NC/Rock Hill SC is great too, pretty good year round climate. The courses are definitely top notch.

sorry to bust bubbles but texas is hot during the summer the courses are ghosttowns except for just after sunrise and just before sunset

Houston is hot in the summer, but if you don't mind sweating and pack a couple bottles of water it's not that big a deal.

Latest posts