• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Moving south for the winter. Where to go?

Lets do a weather check for the next couple of days.

Port Charlotte, Florida: Highs in the upper seventies. How you going to like that arctic blast Texas? Georgia? Carolinas?

Huntsville is nice. Decent music scene, and if you're a player, it's more welcoming than most areas. Nashville is about two hours north, and Birmingham is about an hour south. Lots of courses between the three.

Pretty much anywhere down here in Florida. I am biased to Tampa/Clearwater, but from here you can day trip to brooksville for those magical2 weekends in January, Ocala has some solid courses, Orlando, Sarasota all easy to get to. We have 2 courses with holes on the beach, which is hard to beat.

Other than Brooksville, pretty much no elevation on Florida courses (other than standing on a gator) would kill it for me.

Other than Brooksville, pretty much no elevation on Florida courses (other than standing on a gator) would kill it for me.

But including Brooksville, it averages out to "fairly hilly".

And it's only 1-3 months.

Port Charlotte, Florida: Highs in the upper seventies. How you going to like that arctic blast Texas? Georgia? Carolinas?

Carolinas will be missing the brunt of it, thanks to the mountains. Highs in the mid-50s here this weekend.

Is this a contest?

It was colder the weekend of the Crucible than it will be this weekend. 50-55 ain't bad if there's not 20-30mph winds and 40mph gusts

Augusta could work for you, I'm from Aiken, just across the river. There's the two courses in Augusta, The Hippodrome, North Augusta's city park course, IDGC, and USCA's nine-holer is pretty decent. Greenville would also be a decent spot in the Upstate, as there's Timmons and Holmes in Greenville, Tyger River and Shoally creek over in Spartanburg/Boiling Springs, and Central/Shaver Rec over around Clemson, along with Walhalla, but it's a bit of a drive.

Not sure what type of living accomodations you're planning on, but if you're bringing an RV or tent camper you can park it on our property in San Marcos, Texas. It's a small college town with a Population is 55k that's a short drive from the awesome courses in both Austin and San Antonio. We're curently building a couple of disc golf courses on the property and you can stay for free if you help out on the course every now and then.

Man this sounds like a dream to me! If I wasn't married and working I'd be there in a split second..

I guest Southeast, FL is technically way over OP's population requirements but traffic is minimal outside of the very city centers and there are plenty of areas you can feel far away from the city. Plus we've added 4-5 courses in the past couple years and they are all great IMHO, some even have a few holes that aren't flat!

Is this a contest?

It was colder the weekend of the Crucible than it will be this weekend. 50-55 ain't bad if there's not 20-30mph winds and 40mph gusts

No contest. The OP wants to go somewhere warm. Alot of the places people are suggesting will not be very warm in the upcoming days, and its only November.

Edit: My A/C is running right now.

How did we get this far without even mentioning Charleston. From a pure disc golf course perspective, there are better cities. But Charleston is good enough disc-wise. Considering all, would you want to live in Augusta over Charleston? Not in a million years.

Other options would include Austin or Tampa/Clearwater, if a slightly bigger city is ok.

Nashville, Charlotte, etc, are great for year round living. But specifically as winter getway.........I'd go much further south.

Surprised the Triangle area (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) of NC didn't get a mention. A number of good local pros (Gallops, Sexton, Schwebby - sort of), great dg scene (Spike Hyzer) & courses (not like Charlotte, but getting there - great private courses though), many things to do outside of DG (breweries), top 10 place to live every year according to Money Magazine. Oh and then there is this great club - TCP - I am not biased or anything ;)

I live down south, and I am planning a disc golf vacation to.....guess where??
Augusta, GA....why Augusta...well there are 24 disc courses within 50 miles,
I plan on hitting Stoney Hill (Newberry, SC) already set up with the Sauls for Nov 16, see ya at 9 AM) , IDGC (Appling,GA), Hippodrome Complex (North Augusta, SC), Lake Russell (Elberton, GA) and as many of the others I can fit in, in 5 days.

If you're not a fan of wind, keep in mind that all but southeast Texas get the prairie winds all winter. Southeast Texas isn't known as a disc golf hotbed. Houston is pretty nice, but it's a really big city.

I like playing in the wind. As the foliage falls from the trees and fairways open up, the wind brings back the challenge.

Previous posts are correct that the worst traffic outside of California is in the Austin area.

Latest posts