• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Moving south for the winter. Where to go?

How did we get this far without even mentioning Charleston. From a pure disc golf course perspective, there are better cities. But Charleston is good enough disc-wise. Considering all, would you want to live in Augusta over Charleston? Not in a million years.

Other options would include Austin or Tampa/Clearwater, if a slightly bigger city is ok.

Nashville, Charlotte, etc, are great for year round living. But specifically as winter getway.........I'd go much further south.

O.P.'s criteria included "in the heart of a bunch of great disc golf courses." While Charleston's one of my favorite places in the world, and has a very good course and several decent-to-good courses, I assume he's looking for more than that, disc-golf-wise.

Not sure what type of living accomodations you're planning on, but if you're bringing an RV or tent camper you can park it on our property in San Marcos, Texas. It's a small college town with a Population is 55k that's a short drive from the awesome courses in both Austin and San Antonio. We're curently building a couple of disc golf courses on the property and you can stay for free if you help out on the course every now and then.

You should post your progress in the executing the dream thread.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58060

I go down there to float the river once a year. I would love to play your courses and lend a beer or something next time I'm down.

Austin's really not that big. I would suggest somewhere between Austin and San Antonio. There are tons of courses scattered all throughout. I haven't played it yet, but I've heard one of the best courses in Texas is somewhere north of San Antonio with 36 holes to play.

You can make it from Austin to DFW in less than 2 hours as long as there isn't construction between Waco and Austin, and there are some really great courses on the way too. Other than the fact that we only get about 3 weeks of winter here and it's bleeping hot the rest of the time, Texas is disc gold heaven.

As far as wind, yeah, it's windy in Texas, a bit. I'm originally from Kansas though, so it's not that bad here comparatively. At least we have some good trees to block the wind on most holes.

You should post your progress in the executing the dream thread.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58060

I go down there to float the river once a year. I would love to play your courses and lend a beer or something next time I'm down.

We'd love to have you play the courses Tfire25 and give us some feedback over a few cervesas. We have 12 holes completed on our par 2 mini course (ave hole length of 115') and plan to have all 18 ready for play in a couple of months. Six holes are currently playable on the full size course (blue, white and red tees) and we hope to have 9 ready by the time you're floating the river next spring. You can get more details on our courses at www.facebook.com/flyingarmadillodiscgolf. Looking forward to meeting you!

O.P.'s criteria included "in the heart of a bunch of great disc golf courses." While Charleston's one of my favorite places in the world, and has a very good course and several decent-to-good courses, I assume he's looking for more than that, disc-golf-wise.

Agreed. If you have interests outside of dg, Charleston and the coast of SC is the best place in the world to live (other than hipsters taking over) for me due to weather, beaches and marshes, fishing, locals, music, festivals, bars and restuarants, history, pure beauty of the landscape and there is always something going on. The courses are good but if I was planning to live anywhere just for disc golf in SC I would live in the upcountry near Greenville as you would be closer to Asheville (somewhat Charleston in the mountains), Columbia, Central, Easley, Walhala and Stoney Hill. There is also big industry in the Greenville area with Michelin, GE, BMW, financial institutions, etc.

Tupelo MS. There are 14 courses there within 30 miles, 9 of them in Tupelo. Of the 9 in Tupelo 3 are rated 4 on DGCR. Within 1 hours drive (assuming 55ish mph) there are 21 courses.

As for the size of the town it is small enough that you wont get lost but big enough to have the big box stores for shopping and such.

It has an active DG scene http://tupelodiscgolf.com/

and http://www.tupelodiscgolf.net/

Population is 35k ish with surrounding areas bringing it up to about 100k

For average weather and history see link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupelo,_Mississippi

AS far as an unbiased opinion goes. I dont live there nor have I ever lived in Tupelo I just know its a great little DG town in the south.

If you do come down tell em I sent you and they may not hang the Yank thinking yall are invading the peace loving peoples of the south AGAIN. :D

Joking aside its a nice DG town and worth a look. If you do choose it holler and I will drive up and make you feel better about your game. :clap:

Tupelo MS. There are 14 courses there within 30 miles, 9 of them in Tupelo. Of the 9 in Tupelo 3 are rated 4 on DGCR. Within 1 hours drive (assuming 55ish mph) there are 21 courses.

As for the size of the town it is small enough that you wont get lost but big enough to have the big box stores for shopping and such.

It has an active DG scene http://tupelodiscgolf.com/

and http://www.tupelodiscgolf.net/

Population is 35k ish with surrounding areas bringing it up to about 100k

For average weather and history see link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupelo,_Mississippi

AS far as an unbiased opinion goes. I dont live there nor have I ever lived in Tupelo I just know its a great little DG town in the south.

If you do come down tell em I sent you and they may not hang the Yank thinking yall are invading the peace loving peoples of the south AGAIN. :D

Joking aside its a nice DG town and worth a look. If you do choose it holler and I will drive up and make you feel better about your game. :clap:
I have lived in memphis (An hour and half north of tupelo) for six years and finally made it to tupelo this year. I've got to say it is an enchanting town and I second what was said above. However, it may lose points in a comparison with cities that are further south because of sporadic cold spells.

If you move south or north of dfw the towns get smaller and you can still make it to any course in the dfw in under an hour. I think the mass of courses would be easier to get to from the north side but the land is way more expensive/populated.

Burleson or Midlothian tx would be my best guess to fit your needs for the dfw area. The one thing to consider with Texas is that the ice is worse than up north, but the snow is way less. You may lose up to two weeks worth of playing time due to the conditions here.

Florida would get my vote if I had a to move somewhere. Then again, I'm boycotting Iheart radio so it would be hard to miss Russ Martin in the afternoons on 97.1 the eagle.

:hfive:
You can make it from Austin to DFW in less than 2 hours as long as there isn't construction between Waco and Austin, and there are some really great courses on the way too.

I guess it depends on what you consider DFW. Dallas is 196 miles from Austin (according to our good friend Google). You might be able to make it from north of Austin to south of Dallas in less than two hours, but you ain't making Austin to Dallas is less than about three. And that is if you don't hit traffic, but you will...

Good guesses ladies but the correct answer is Lafayette, LA.

Population of 120,623 - check.

Average winter temperatures, low = 45, high = 65 - check.

Marketwatch found it to be the happiest city in America.

Also "Best of the Road" found it was the Best Food Town in America

And it is the #1 city in the US for economic and job growth

Four 18 hole courses in town, one nine hole and another 18 hole course minutes away in New Iberia. Consider New Orleans, Lake Charles, Baton Rouge and Alexandria are within 1-1/2 hour drive and you're up to 15 courses within easy reach.

Why do people keep suggesting that Austin is anywhere near DFW? I live in Austin. My brother lived in Fort Worth for years. I have never in my life made that trip in under three hours. Usually it's over 3.5 hours. I-35 is Satan's personal highway, and I hope it gets swallowed up by some massive, unforeseen fault line. The alternate routes are not any faster.

Having said that, we have some nice courses around here, and, unless you're planning on driving around during rush hour, I don't really see how traffic is a consideration for someone looking to spend some leisure time around here.

If you move south or north of dfw the towns get smaller and you can still make it to any course in the dfw in under an hour. I think the mass of courses would be easier to get to from the north side but the land is way more expensive/populated.

This, or the equivalent near Charlotte, strikes me as a great idea if I were in the O.P.'s situation. You don't have to live in a big city to have access to the city's courses. If you're 30 minutes outside of a such a city, you can probably reach the half of the courses on your side of town easier than people who live in the city, but on the other side.

I-35 is Satan's personal highway

Fact

totally

texas has lots of great golf but it is certainly not warm during the winter and the wind is a constant factor.

maybe consider SoCal in suburbia somewhere so you're not in a huge city. not amazing golf but there are a good number of options, the weather is perfect, and you don't have so many mosquitoes as FL. anyway, i'd be afraid to live in FL, aka the home of the craziest people and most bloodthirsty police in the country.

texas has lots of great golf but it is certainly not warm during the winter and the wind is a constant factor.

Probably seems warm to someone fleeing a Wisconsin winter.

For what it's worth, for the sake of the O.P., looks like the averages winter temperatures in Charlotte, Augusta, and Dallas-Ft. Worth are about the same. I can't attest to the Texas winds, and how much cooler it may seem there; most of the Carolinas courses are wooded and less subject to wind. From my southern perspective I'd agree with dreadlock that it's not warm here in January, but half of the days are mild.

I can say that I'm located halfway between Charlotte and Augusta, and our average annual snowfall is a half-inch. We've had 3 5-inchers in the past 5 years, so you're odds of entirely escaping snow are pretty good.

Then again, if I were in the O.P.'s shoes I'd compromise on the disc golf and keep going until I reached somewhere that's actually warm. 75 degrees feels good. 75 degrees in January feels great.

Nacogdoches, Texas might be what you're looking for. About 33,000 people and a nice disc golf scene. It's in the woods of southeast Texas, so the wind won't be the problem it is in most of the rest of Texas.

Latest posts