• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Moving to Appleton, Wisconsin

ringerguy

Par Member
So I am moving into the Great North Woods from suburban Detroit! I have used this site to check out the courses around Appleton already, and was pleasantly surprised to see I will be really close to Rollin Ridge.

What I would like from the users of this site is your personal experience about the best courses in the area. I will play them all eventually, but am interested in what people from the area think makes a good course.

I encourage bias, homerism, give me your best sales pitch for why I should play course x before course y.

Also, let me know what courses are open in the winter or at night please. The cold and snow are not a concern for me.

Thanks!

You'll be happy in Appleton and the Fox River Valley!

Appleton: Plamman, O'hauser.

30ish minutes East: Rollin Ridge, Lower Cato Falls, Silver Creek

30ish minutes South: Winnebago County Park, And another 30 ish minutes to Zoebel.

1 hour West: Standing Rocks

Great DG scene and lots of players.

I absolutely love playing Silver Creek Park. I think it gets overlooked by reviewers because of it's proximity to Rollin Ridge, but it's every bit as fun and challenging as RR. And it's 36 holes now. I'm 2.5-3 hours away, but we take road trips down there all the time just to play SCP. If you get bored with the local courses (which you won't :D) you can always come up and visit us in the U.P. We have some pretty nice courses too.;)

Yeah, you got a good chunk of solid golf with in an hour of you every which way except north. Green Bay has a rather bland scene as a matter of face, i can't remember the last time i played in Green Bay, I usually stay up North(decent stuff by me) or I go to Appleton or the Ridge. In Appleton, I would really just stick to Plamman and O' Hauser as those are the best, Grignon is Kaukauna fairly nice. Although, of those three I really only play O'Hauser these days.
To the east you've got Rollin Ridge(absolutely amazing, it's were I spend most of my days discing), Sliver Creek(I use to play there a lot but, since the Ridge came in, i don't really get there a whole bunch) and lastly I would go for Winter Park in Kewaunee, its about 30 minutes north of Silver Creek, lots of good elevation and some really fun golf. As for the South, I wouldn't play Winnebago( don't really care for it that much) but I would go play Zobel(its kinda out there on it own but, well worth the travel). If you get out to Standing Rocks, i would play the whole point area Yulga and Big Eau Plaine are both really fun courses.

Also, Appleton is hardly the "great northwoods".

Also, from Appleton, it's about a 4 hour drive to Highbridge Hills, which is possibly the most glorious location for disc golf on the planet.

One spot that hasn't been mentioned is Frietag Park, which is on the way to Rollin' Ridge. They're completely revamping it, and it has an opportunity to be among the best in the area.

Rollin Ridge, Silver Creek, and Winter Park is probably the most fun and well rounded trifecta of courses in any area of the US - IMO of course!

I absolutely love playing Silver Creek Park. I think it gets overlooked by reviewers because of it's proximity to Rollin Ridge, but it's every bit as fun and challenging as RR.

Let's not get crazy now. Silver Creek is a great, max fun course, but it's not in the same league as the Ridge, as far as difficulty is concerned.

It's as challenging as like, Orange to Red or Red to Orange at Ridge.

Everyone covered the courses pretty well. I don't believe any of the courses in the Appleton area are technically open past sunset. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The Ridge might have glow rounds?

I'm originally from Appleton, but mostly visit now over the holidays. Rollin Ridge and O'Hauser are both kept up pretty well over the winter. Plamann closes in November or December and opens up between April and June. Standing Rocks has a similar schedule. Zobel and Yulga are also open year round. Not sure about Silver Creek. Winnebago can be a fun winter round, if only for a change of scenery.

I hope you enjoy the Fox Cities!

Let's not get crazy now. Silver Creek is a great, max fun course, but it's not in the same league as the Ridge, as far as difficulty is concerned.

It's as challenging as like, Orange to Red or Red to Orange at Ridge.
I don't throw from the black tees so for an old noodle arm like me, they are in the same league. I do throw from the shorter tees, as do many others, so my statement is correct. Both are fun and challenging. And 36 holes at SCP vs. 18 at RR evens it up for me.

Thank you for all of the responses so far!

I am spoiled where I currently live to have two eighteen hole courses in my backyard. However, I drove 35 minutes every Wednesday in the summer to play leagues at Hudson Mills. In Michigan, the Disc Golf Scene provided easily accessible information on leagues and tournaments.

Is this information centralized for Wisconsin? Does Wisconsin have a coordinated state championship? Are leagues posted at the courses, or do I have to bite the bullet and join facebook in order to access that info? I kinda suck at the internet because it bores me. But I can use it effectively with a helpful push in correct direction.

I mostly enjoy disc golf as a solo activity, but do like to play leagues in the singles format with the occasional drop in for doubles. Are there winter leagues currently active in the Appleton area that I can join next week?

Thanks again for all of the suggestions and information! And I will be hitting Michigan's Upper Peninsula this summer for vacation and plan on hitting more than just Marquette for course bagging...

I played Rollin' Ridge and Grignon. Grignon was a lot of fun with elevation but Rollin' Ridge is epic!

I played Rollin' Ridge and Grignon. Grignon was a lot of fun with elevation but Rollin' Ridge is epic!

Grignon is fun and overlooked, but mostly because of the top side.

Hole 17 is a GREAT disc golf hole, though. One of my favorites anywhere.

I have an Appleton t-shirt that TallPaul gave me as a Secret Santa gift.

That's about all I have to contribute to this thread. :\

Rolling Ridge and Silver Creek would be my tops in the area with Winter Park being on the bottom of the list. WI has a huge DG community especially on the eastern side of the state. We have a lot of top notch TD's with Kevin Rynders (Pandamonium Discs) and Mike Harrington (The Disc Golf Experience) being at the top for me but Im biased on the panda side but Im sure most would agree. The WI tour is prestigious to those in WI and the traditional black disc given to the winners of WI tour stops. Most arent lucky enough to win one but its always a nice added bonus when you win a tour stop. There arent too many places you can go wrong in WI for DG.

We have a lot of top notch TD's with Kevin Rynders (Pandamonium Discs) and Mike Harrington (The Disc Golf Experience) being at the top for me but Im biased on the panda side but Im sure most would agree.

Yes. I for one, agree. Kevin's events are the best.

Latest posts