• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mulligans: What is your philosophy

What is your philosophy on Mulligans

• I will empty my bag on every shot if I have to.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I am not going to use it on every shot, maybe one every other hole or so.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I try to limit my self to obvious errors on the tee and putting maybe two per nine.

Votes: 28 18.4%
  • Only if i end up OB or i see i have a very obstructed lie i will go ahead and do it. 1 - 2 a round

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • They leave a bad taste in my mouth but I will reshoot shots that end up in the water

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I play tournament level all the time, but i wont call out cardmates if playing casual

Votes: 38 25.0%
  • Mulligans are for weaklings, and you should be ashamed at your self if you use them.

Votes: 48 31.6%

• Total voters
The question is - is primarily playing casual rounds where I'll test out a couple of different lines, or rethrow a tree-hit etc, helping or hurting my game?

Setting which is more fun aside, all else held equal, if I spent my time playing by the rules even on lone wolf casual rounds, would my game be better off? Perfect practice, as they say.

Then again, if I'm having trouble with a hypothetical hole 8, why not try to practice hole 8's drive however I need to as many times as is practical? Playing seriously only would allow me to get in one hole 8 per round.

Although I rarely take mulligans, I will if it feels 'correct' to do so...

As for playing casually with others, we will negotiate 'rules variations', handicaps and stakes on the first tee. My preference is that when a mulligan is offered and taken, the player must play from the mulligan lie...

Occasionally (maybe 1 out of 5 rounds) we'll agree that a mulligan on the first throw of hole 1 is allowable. Otherwise only if it's a special event - a lot of times for a charity event/ice bowl type thing you can buy a mulligan for $1 or something. And there is mulligan leagues/tournaments that allow one per hole, but fairly few and far between.

The only mulligan I'd count is the tee shot on hole one (when alone or with buddies who agree). If I shank my first drive I'll relate it to being "cold."

Otherwise, I tend to maybe throw a mulligan or two throughout a casual round but will play my first shot almost exclusively. I just like to see if I can make the appropriate adjustment, and that's where that ends. Truthfully I am almost always trying to shoot my best score on whatever course I am playing.

When playing with a group, be it casual or league play, no mulligans or practice shots.

Playing alone, my first throw will be "for the record" and then I might throw another disc to see how that piece of plastic does -or- to try a different line. But the first shot counts and is the basis of the next throw.

The group I play most causal rounds with has a rule of one mulligan per round. If we are gambling on the round, no mulligans are allowed. During a casual round our goal is to drink a few cold ones and enjoy ourselves, not to mimic a tournament setting. If we have signed up for a tournament, we will not use mulligans in the weeks leading up to the event.

During solo rounds I'll take practice shots after bad drives and putts, but if I'm keeping score I count the first shot. The subsequent shots are solely for piece of mind.

As far as people bragging about their exploits during a mulligan round, those people have bigger issues than using mulligans. These are the types of people who insist they have "too much power" for under stable discs, but can't throw a destroyer past 320' to save their lives. Gotta love insecurity

The group I play with, we compete to not win the losers trophy. We usually take two shot off of hole #1 since we get out of the car and start the round without warming up. Then we get one other mulligan for the round. On holidays weekends we take another mulligan in honor of the holiday.

What if your birthday was on a holiday weekend and it was Feb 29th?

In most really casual rounds I'll retake until I'm satisfied because I'm there 100% to have fun. I'll usually keep drives unless it's truly awful, short approaches and putts I will retake over and over though (usually only takes me 2-3 attempts)

In our regular group, we allow one rethrow per round in casual play. I Really dislike the idea of mulligans in tournaments (mostly charity events for you nontournament throwers) Instead of letting you buy 18 mulligans for a couple of bucks a piece and let you use one per hole, it should be you can have one mulligan for $20.00 that you can use once. IMO

Not my cuppa tea but as long as someone i'm playing with calls it's before starting i don't mind doing 1 / 2 (max) on a game.

Didn't really see a good option that fits what I play.

I will rarely take a mulligan, but I will on certain conditions. First, my score has to be fairly lousy that day anyway. If I'm on a hot round towards a personal best - no mulligan. If I'm shooting an average round and have already double-bogied a hole or something, sure.

Second, it has to be something truly pitiful. Like hit the tree 10 feet in front and bounce back to the tee pitiful. Also acceptable is if there is a slip or trip during the throw.

Third, it's always from the tee. No re-putts or approaches.

Fourth, I usually cave and play the first throw even after tossing the second because I want an accurate score.

I'll encourage friends to take a mulligan if they're having rough round. If they are really stinking up the course I'll tell them to mulligan several awful shots in a round.

We play pretty loose anyway so I don't really sweat it. Ignore foot faults completely and take a "Play where it lay" mentality to OB.

OH, and one more. If I have a new disc I'll announce I'm throwing with it. If the throw is not what I was expecting I won't count it at all and rethrow with something I'm more familiar with.

Rec rounds w/a bunch of buddies always starts w/2 shots on one, cuz honestly, we are all buddies, strolling through a park and having fun. During league and tournaments, I still have fun, but cease to throw two on hole one. We also practice the art of one mulligan through nine from New Years day until the start of baseball. We call it spring training, cuz you know, we have to stretch out our otherwise winter-logged arms. All in all, I view it as who you are throwing w/on any particular day. You got cash on the line, then don't do it, otherwise, just have a good time whilst throwing plastic discs at chains. To each their own I suppose.

Side note: We usually yell "SCIENCE" to let everyone in our regular group know that we want to take a practice throw after a real one on a hole.

My friends and I have the option to throw two off the tee on hole 1 only. After that we tend not to take mulligans. I've found, if I don't make a very good shot the first throw, I'll probably over think the second throw and make an even worse shot.

I don't take mulligans. But, in a casual round I'll take "sanity throws". If I really screw a throw up, I'll throw a second to feel better but play the first.

hitting that damn tee JUST off the tree might have me throwing again, otherwise never....

Last edited:
I only play with a few people and when we do there's no mulligans and we play the round correctly.

Occasionally by myself I will play like that but a lot of the times off the tee or fairway I will score the first shot (if scoring the round) then take another shot if I screwed up and know what I did wrong which helps me to enforce proper form or sometimes it'll me an experimental throw to see if something can work. Goofy upshots and get out of jail shots, I will throw a few on these when by myself, even if I'm happy with the first one but they are usually different routes, shots, discs, like a 100' forehand flex skip with a high speed driver to see what happens kind of thing.

Now the worst par of throwing extras is searching for a disc you thought you threw only to see it in your bag and that you just imagined throwing....

I only play with a few people and when we do there's no mulligans and we play the round correctly.

Occasionally by myself I will play like that but a lot of the times off the tee or fairway I will score the first shot (if scoring the round) then take another shot if I screwed up and know what I did wrong which helps me to enforce proper form or sometimes it'll me an experimental throw to see if something can work. Goofy upshots and get out of jail shots, I will throw a few on these when by myself, even if I'm happy with the first one but they are usually different routes, shots, discs, like a 100' forehand flex skip with a high speed driver to see what happens kind of thing.

Now the worst par of throwing extras is searching for a disc you thought you threw only to see it in your bag and that you just imagined throwing....

Pretty much the same as what I do. I only play casual or practice rounds. When I throw practice rounds I'll sometimes throw multiples, but if keeping score I always use my 1st throw.

Lately I've been throwing 2 off the tee, one BH and one FH. Lots of "goofy" shots like thumbers, scoobies, short FH rollers, etc.

I've spent way too much time looking for discs that are already in my bag. :thmbup:

Latest posts