• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mulligans: What is your philosophy

What is your philosophy on Mulligans

• I will empty my bag on every shot if I have to.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I am not going to use it on every shot, maybe one every other hole or so.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I try to limit my self to obvious errors on the tee and putting maybe two per nine.

Votes: 28 18.4%
  • Only if i end up OB or i see i have a very obstructed lie i will go ahead and do it. 1 - 2 a round

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • They leave a bad taste in my mouth but I will reshoot shots that end up in the water

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I play tournament level all the time, but i wont call out cardmates if playing casual

Votes: 38 25.0%
  • Mulligans are for weaklings, and you should be ashamed at your self if you use them.

Votes: 48 31.6%

• Total voters
We have no limits as to Mulligans.

But here's the deal:

You can have one mulligan to start with.
For that mulligan, any other player can call a "bubble", which is technically an amazing drive/shot/putt, and ask you to redo that shot.
If a player does call a "bubble" on you, then you can mulligan again. You can't call a mulligan unless another player calls "bubble" on you.
Usually, the "bubble" can only be called on the next hole forward.
So no mulligans on the 18th.

Playing Adair Sunday league a few years ago, you were allowed to purchase up to two mulligans. On #9, 3 of the 4 of us hit a tall, narrow-trunked tree 45 ft from the tee. All 3 used a mulligan---and all 3 hit the tree again. The pathos was heavy.

If I'm playing Solo or its a rec/casual round and they're aren't people waiting on every tee I like to throw a Mully maybe 8-10 on an 18 holer. Mainly just more practice and honing in on what I knew I could throw . More practice than anything because I don't get out much and in a given round I may use a disc like 3 times, I want to get more reps so I may toss a Mully or 2 - or sometimes we call it a Funzie - where you throw just to see what would happen but you still take your first shot regardless and play it out - depends on who I'm with - but only in Casual, Solo, or Fun rounds, if its a group tee time and we are playin' legit we may only take a funzie or two per 18 in those really bad throw scenarios or if its a Cool tee like Top of the World and you wanna get another shot in

NO MULLIGANS IF KEEPING SCORE. Might as well just write whatever score you want if you're not going to take your bad shots. Maybe 2 off the first tee once in a while if there hasn't been any warm up time. If I'm playing for funzies or practice, multiple shots will happen. But those aren't mulligans.

Im not a rule nazi by any means, but your score is your score. Foot faults, stance violations, going out of turn are all fine usually, but a 4 is a 4. Even playing casual.

I use mulligans alot for my strategy game to get a better feel for when to be aggressive in my game or when to be more cautious. I'll throw the more aggressive throw first then throw more of a placement shot. Then I compare the results. Basically I play the hole twice start to finish and decide what gave me the best result and what gave me the most consistent result. And see how different they are. For example there is a raisrd

But that's practice, not a mulligan. A mulligan is when you are keeping score, throw a bad shot, throw another shot (hopefully better) and take that shot and disregard the bad one on the scorecard.

I play pretty much only solo rounds at this point.

Like a lot of other people, I throw a bunch of extra "practice" re-throws, especially when I have a particularly annoying shank or missed putt. But if I'm keeping score for the round, then I always play out (and count) the first throw.

Sometimes I just feel like chucking discs and playing from whatever lie I feel like, but I'm not keeping score in that case.

I have never understood the concept of Mulligans. If I am going out to practice, or throw new plastic on a course, that is what I do. I do not keep score and will throw multiple tee shots, upshots, etc. If I am keeping score, I play like a TD is watching my every move. Pulling mulligans, while keeping score, is depriving yourself of shots, and scenarios, you Will encounter on the course. How will you learn to scramble well if you can just throw a better tee shot, ot upshot? I guess it just never made sense to me, personally.

I do not play mulligans! If alone I will throw multiple shots on a hole for practice or to see what a different disc might have done for me, but will always play from my first shot. If I'm playing with my friends who are not so in to disc golf like I am, we have a couple silly rules.

If the disc lands in a tree and you are able to retrieve the disc without it touching the ground, you can throw the disc from that spot as a continuance of that shot! No Aces have ever happened with this rule, nor would I count them as a real Ace.

The Wal-Mart Rollback. If your disc rolls back to you, you get to throw again without taking a stroke.

I do not play mulligans! If alone I will throw multiple shots on a hole for practice or to see what a different disc might have done for me, but will always play from my first shot. If I'm playing with my friends who are not so in to disc golf like I am, we have a couple silly rules.

If the disc lands in a tree and you are able to retrieve the disc without it touching the ground, you can throw the disc from that spot as a continuance of that shot! No Aces have ever happened with this rule, nor would I count them as a real Ace.

The Wal-Mart Rollback. If your disc rolls back to you, you get to throw again without taking a stroke.

That's fun. I may incorporate that into my beer rounds.

They are tempting, but I can't do it.

I feel like I learn more fighting through bad drives.

Latest posts